HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 15, 2008, 06:21 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,546 Posts
Discussion
What Happened to Canadian F3J Team

I heard a really bad story the other evening that the Canadian F3J Team has folded and they are not going to the Worlds. Any info?

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:05 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,546 Posts
No Canadians here I guess, sorry to hear it.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 16, 2008, 09:18 AM
Boar? I'm a Thermal Pig!
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
914 Posts
Last I heard Canada would be sending a team. It will consist of some new people whose names escape me. Former members resigned due to "personal reasons"!
Batmanwpg is offline Find More Posts by Batmanwpg
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:15 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,470 Posts
Too much politics (or personal objectives /egos ) to discuss on an open forum.

On the team trials were only a handful people, which says enough about F3J polularity in Canada.
Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:46 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,934 Posts
F3J Team Canada

Without getting into the details, there was a combination of personal and financial challenges that led Arend Borst and his son as well as Rolph Otter and the supporting crew of this years WC team to step down. We look forward to seeing them again in future World Cup events. Officially, we await MAAC to ratify (and fund) this current team which should happen in March.

The team representing Canada will be:

Joe Fitz-James (British Columbia)- Team member 2006 Joe brings along his previous WC experience and 15 years of RC history

Simon Thompson (Alberta) Simon has been involved in Model Aircraft for well over 20 years and is keenly looking forward to this years WC.

David Webb (British Columbia) relatively new to F3J but loving it none the less.

Our team Captain and any helpers are yet to be announced (secret weapons should only be revealed in battle)

However we do need to fill positions for towing. We have some candidates but would like to attract some more. Soooo if you are over 180 LBS and strong enough to pull a VW bug uphill then drop me a line in this thread or PM me. We should be getting some people together in March weather permitting.

Soo F3J is alive and kicking in Canada but it certainly is not the crowded team select scenario as it is in the US.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Feb 16, 2008, 03:33 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
No junior pilots on the Canadian team?
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:26 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawalter
No junior pilots on the Canadian team?

No juniors are going this year.

The only Junior pilot to try out for the team was Simon Borst and since his father Arend is not going Simon will not be attending.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:49 PM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Borst not going????? Too bad as he may have been the best pilot on the field at the last worlds.
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:29 PM
Joined Aug 2004
41 Posts
Canadian f3j team

I was involved in the Canadian team (both original and new).

At the team selection in Augus 07 it is true that there was little participation (7 fliers) six seniors and a junior. At the end of the day the team was announced as per outcomed of the trials as Arend Borst, Rolf Oetter, and myself on the senior team with the only junior competing Simon Borst as the junior member. That being said I got started tooling up for my campaigning at the WC's only to get a call in september sometime announcing that my position on the team was being taken from me by the "team members" and being allocated to the junior member with his year or so experience. This change was said to be based on results from the selection...I admit that the junior scored higher than myself but the matrixes were set up to allow for the junior to never compete against Arend, and to always be coached by Arend. this was apparently allowed as the junior was not in competition for a senior spot on the team!

Not being one to give up on a dream, I contested the change to the selection process (excluding myself) to the governing body in Canada, MAAC. After careful consideration of the facts the sailplane committee agreed by a clear majority to reinstate myself to the team! Whew! As my former team mates were previously ready to accept the recommendations of the committee, I was happy to be once again part of the team....a few weeks later the others resigned from the team leaving myself to pick up the pieces. The two other members of the proposed Canadian team are very keen to compete at the WC's and I consider myself quite lucky to be in the company of such fine individuals with the drive and ambition that they have shown...we have only one hurdle left to overcome and that is to gain the blessings of the Model Aviation Association of Canada.

I am looking foreward to rekindle friendships made at the previous WC's and to make new friends at the coming WC's

Cheers
Joe F-J

as for the whys and wherefores as to what has transpired I will leave this to your own interpretation
joefj is offline Find More Posts by joefj
Old Feb 16, 2008, 09:42 PM
AZ Outback
Joined Dec 2000
1,345 Posts
Doug Pike, comes down and terrorizes our Nats in the US, flew in the finals of our F3J event at the Nats. Hopefully someone in Canada is listening.

The Best Soaring

Robert
Robert Burson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Burson
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:01 PM
Joined Aug 2004
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson
Doug Pike, comes down and terrorizes our Nats in the US, flew in the finals of our F3J event at the Nats. Hopefully someone in Canada is listening.

The Best Soaring

Robert
I am quite familiar with the fact that Doug Pike is a force to be dealt with and would welcome his participation (even if he would perhaps bump me for a spot on the team).
Canada being such a large country makes getting together for team trials a bit of a logistical nightmare and we have held most team selections in BC, on the west coast, as this is where the interest seems to be the greatest! I have however recommended that clubs in central Canada host the selection as the population there is greater and hopefully we could field a larger number of fliers. hopefully interested parties will read this and put their names foreward to host the next WC's team trials!

Cheers joefj
joefj is offline Find More Posts by joefj
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:49 PM
Bags for hire.
Santa Fe NM USA
Joined Nov 2001
394 Posts
Wow hope you guys can get something going. Do you have a fund raising site? I would love a Canadian F3J team shirt. I was born and raised up in the GWN. Heck I would have driven up for the trials if I had know it was that low of a turn out. Maybe next time around.
Chad Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by Chad Sullivan
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sullivan
Wow hope you guys can get something going. Do you have a fund raising site? I would love a Canadian F3J team shirt. I was born and raised up in the GWN. Heck I would have driven up for the trials if I had know it was that low of a turn out. Maybe next time around.
We have not created a fund raising site...most of us were not expecting to go so fund raising was not a major priority and with so little time left creating a site and finding items with which to build interest with is a futile effort.

The original team had a fundraising venture planned but that did not actually take "wings"

Having said that we have enough pilots, all we need is to secure a couple towers and a captain which hopefully is starting to gel.

Our plan is to keep the costs down by flying carbon re-enforced EZgliders. IT should also save weight and when we are done we can just apply some CA and poof nothing to pack home!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:28 PM
Bags for hire.
Santa Fe NM USA
Joined Nov 2001
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution
We have not created a fund raising site...most of us were not expecting to go so fund raising was not a major priority and with so little time left creating a site and finding items with which to build interest with is a futile effort.
Well good to hear the economy up there is so good your all independently wealthy. But it does not help me much as far as getting that Team Canada shirt.

Quote:
Our plan is to keep the costs down by flying carbon re-enforced EZgliders. IT should also save weight and when we are done we can just apply some CA and poof nothing to pack home!
LMAOROF
Chad Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by Chad Sullivan
Old Feb 21, 2008, 09:08 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,786 Posts
No Arend for the Worlds????? What a tremendous loss to the F3J World Championships. Arend a close friend for over 25 years is certainly the most consistant F3J compettior in the game. He is one of the few to have competed in all previous F3J World Championships. As I recall Arend and Ralf were at the top of the scoreboard after the prelims at the last worlds,proving to be quite a combination. It is sad to see Arend step down over politics.
Canadas chances for any kind of finish will certainly be affected by their departure. Good Luck to the new Team ..Larry
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Closed Thread