|Feb 14, 2008, 11:52 PM|
First Blog Entry EVAR!!
My first maiden crash (except for my slowstick ) happened a few weeks ago with little 36" wingspan Extra 330L. Because I have very limited build time, it took a few weeks to put it together. I think I got too anxious once it was complete and decided to maiden it myself without someone helping me trim it out. It was a weekday morning before work, about 37 degrees (yes it does get that cold here in the winter time) and I realized when I got there that I forgot to install the servo arm screws on the two aileron servos. That should've been enough to pack it in but I thought ahhh... one flight won't hurt. I had this thing set up with an APC 11x7, an E-flite 480, a 40A ESC with separate BEC, and a 3S 1800 mAh 20C Lipo. At WOT it was pulling about 22A.
As I taxied out and hit the throttle and the plane became airborne it immediately started pulling to the left more than I expected and was a little nose heavy. Sometimes I have a hard time finding the trim buttons on my DX6 while flying. I circled a few times desperately trying to hit the trim buttons while keeping it airborne. I SHOULD HAVE JUST LANDED! But I thought I could keep flying. Well, something happened as the plane was heading right to left, about 75 feet out & 75 feet up. It went into a sharp left turn and before I was able to pull up, it smacked the ground. It shot up about 15 feet and then fell back down in a shower of balsa splinters.
The carnage was so bad & I was so mad I didn't even pick up all the small pieces. I knew there was no way I was going to be able to repair this thing. Also, since the airframe only cost $55 I wasn't about to put massive manhours into it. The shaft on the 480 was bent bad., The prop, spinner, & prop adapter ruined. The battery was a little dented but OK.
So, I decided to build another one of these Extras out of FFF. I am really getting interested in pattern & 3D so I want to get some good practice in on this thing. I'll use all the same elctronics and the canopy. Everything else will have to be built from scratch.
|Feb 15, 2008, 12:15 AM|
So, I laid the pieces of the balsa plane on some cardstock and started making the patterns for the FFF Extra. I've built 5 planes using FFF so I've gotten pretty used to working with the stuff.
F4F Wildcat Video
Spit (In progress)
This build will combine techniques I learned while building all of these planes. If it turns out well, I'll post the patterns for free in the Scratch-built Foamies Forum.
The wings will use the natural bend in the FFF for the leading edge. I'll have one rib at the root, and one at the tip and one spar that runs the length of the wing 1/3 back from the LE.
|Feb 15, 2008, 12:20 AM|
Starting to take shape. I cut out the sides of the fuse and the vertical stabilizer. I epoxied the two wing halves together. I also starting making the formers for the fuse from the canopy back.
Seems to be turning out OK for now.