HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:02 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Discussion
Matchstick McLaren

What you do if you have way too much free time on your hands, lotsa matches, and a buncha glue.

(warning to children: use glue only in a well ventilated area or you might wind up like this guy)

http://jalopnik.com/355967/man-build...00-matchsticks

I wonder what he did with all the match heads ?.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:05 PM
Parrothead Extraordinaire
Island of Margaritaville.No parallels of latitude or longitude mark the spot exactly. Passports are not required
Joined Sep 2002
797 Posts
Build a Sr. Telemaster, darn near the same thing!
Mark Gund is offline Find More Posts by Mark Gund
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:46 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
I guess the only way to follow that up is to build a Greyhound bus out of Bic lighters.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Feb 14, 2008, 01:39 PM
Joined Apr 2004
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
I wonder what he did with all the match heads ?.
Probably planinng to use them as fuel for the car, or for the solid rocket boosters.
AndreyT is offline Find More Posts by AndreyT
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:15 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,592 Posts
Waaaaaay too much work... does it come in an RTR version?
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:30 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
This thread prompted a memory. We used to remove a spoke from a bicycle wheel and reverse the threaded on "nut" that goes thru the rim, and only screw it on a small distance. This created a barrel of sorts, that we filled with scrapings from wooden match heads. Shove a plug of some kind into the muzzle end and hold a lighted match under the breach end. Goes off with a bang and shoots the plug.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:49 PM
Joined May 2004
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gund
Build a Sr. Telemaster, darn near the same thing!
Super cool. What power? 123 here.
dusty IV is offline Find More Posts by dusty IV
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:09 PM
Comfirmed Sodomite
Hillsboro,OR USA
Joined Mar 2007
92 Posts
I dont care what ya'all say.......that thing was pretty cool! I wonder what he was thinking when they kept changing the design every year?

Chris Elliott
OMAS
castlebravo is offline Find More Posts by castlebravo
Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:51 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge
This thread prompted a memory. We used to remove a spoke from a bicycle wheel and reverse the threaded on "nut" that goes thru the rim, and only screw it on a small distance. This created a barrel of sorts, that we filled with scrapings from wooden match heads. Shove a plug of some kind into the muzzle end and hold a lighted match under the breach end. Goes off with a bang and shoots the plug.
We used to do that too sarge. But we would cut open a shotgun shell and use the Blackpowder grains and a single shot.

Tom
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:08 PM
Rock Rapids IA
Joined Jan 2007
392 Posts
so how many matches was that?
michaelb323 is offline Find More Posts by michaelb323
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:20 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62.5pilot
We used to do that too sarge. But we would cut open a shotgun shell and use the Blackpowder grains and a single shot.

Tom

Heh. Back when smoking inside a business was still legal, we had one salesman at the lumberyard where I worked who smoked constantly. We had a cut down 155 shell base as an ashtray, and one time we cut a 12 gauge shell open and spread the powder in the ashtray.

Man that was awesome.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:33 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
I think we are in "DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS" territory here. I will refrain from sharing the great flaming mushroom cloud a small can of lighter fluid can produce and how that is achieved for this reason, cool as though.

Also, anyone else miss strike anywhere matches? Those were fun, fun, fun. All sorts of things to do with them.

A friend of mine's brother knew how to make a smokebomb pen with these. You needed a pen, like a bic clic, only metal lasted much longer. (This was the days of secret agent man, man from U.N.C.L.E. and all that).

You would take the ink cartridge out, take a bobby pin and bend it to the correct configuration and put it in the end of the pen where the ball point was, and use the spring, so that the bobby pin became a springed trigger, it had a little bend in it where it exited the pen, so you could pull it up. You had to make this bobby pin the right length so it would strike the head of a strike anywhere match, which was shoved into the top plunger housing of the retractable pen. You stick it in your pocket and it looks like a normal pen. You could pull up on the little bobby pin and release it, it would strike the match, which became oxygen starved and streamed smoked like crazy out of the hole in the end, leaving a very sulfery smelling cloud of smoke to make your secret escape.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Last edited by Treetop; Feb 16, 2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 03:45 PM
Parrothead Extraordinaire
Island of Margaritaville.No parallels of latitude or longitude mark the spot exactly. Passports are not required
Joined Sep 2002
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Heh. Back when smoking inside a business was still legal, we had one salesman at the lumberyard where I worked who smoked constantly. We had a cut down 155 shell base as an ashtray, and one time we cut a 12 gauge shell open and spread the powder in the ashtray.

Man that was awesome.
Did he quit smoking? (His hair, that is....)
Mark Gund is offline Find More Posts by Mark Gund
Old Feb 16, 2008, 03:48 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
No, and he was pissed.

But it was funny. Nobody put an eye out.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog