SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2001, 10:38 PM
Professional Dork
Winchester, Kentucky
Joined Jul 2000
435 Posts
Night Flying With The Sky Scooter

Tonight I finally got around to my first after dark flight. I just taped the lighting system to the belly of the plane. It consists of a 9 volt battery, a small transformer, and a long, thin strip of material that glows brightly (like an Indiglo watch). I let the strip trail behind the plane and flutter. In the air it was a strange sight. It looked more like some kind of creature flying around than a plane. Anybody know of any cheap and lightweight strobe lights? This stuff is too fun!
Randy S is offline Find More Posts by Randy S
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2001, 06:02 AM
FL
Joined May 2001
60 Posts
I tried some night flying the other night, without any added lighting on my Sky Scooter (I thought I'd be able to see it in the moonlight). It was a BAD experience, I almost totalled the thing after flying straight into the ground because I quickly lost my orientation. I assume your experience was much more positive?
Wade is offline Find More Posts by Wade
Old Jun 15, 2001, 07:06 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,320 Posts
Sounds like fun! Does it illuminate the plane any for better orientation ?

It would seem helpful to have a large open area ...a large parking lot with little lighting around perimeter.

How long does the 9v batt last ?

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jun 15, 2001, 07:20 AM
Dade City,fl,USA
Joined May 2001
39 Posts
Hey Guys. I've never tried it, but I thought it would work good to use those miniature glo stick they sell at Wallmart to put in fishing bobbers for night fishing. There only about an inch and a half long and I'm sure they'd be pretty light.
coolieo is offline Find More Posts by coolieo
Old Jun 15, 2001, 09:23 PM
Professional Dork
Winchester, Kentucky
Joined Jul 2000
435 Posts
Al,

It didn't illuminate the plane, I had it trailing behind like a tail on a kite. Orientation wasn't a problem... everything came home in one piece. I don't know how long the battery lasts, I've never had to change it. It should last a long time though... doesn't seem to be much of a drain. The best solution would be to tap into the battery pack on the plane and save some weight.
Randy S is offline Find More Posts by Randy S
Old Jun 15, 2001, 09:34 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,320 Posts
with a really quiet plane one could have a few laughs as a UFO ?!
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Jun 15, 2001, 11:18 PM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
Tttthink of the fun on Halloween also with ghosts and UFO's flying around your neighborhood!!!! I'm liking this!!
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old Jun 15, 2001, 11:42 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,418 Posts
You guys should see Bernard Cawley's LT-25 with lighting setup. Loops, rolls, the whole enchilada and all the leading edges have strip lighting outlining the entire plane.
MAN! Can he fly that thing!!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood