Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Discussion
Video of Twirl at EFest 2008

Video of Twirl at E-Fest

Pilot/Builder: Chuck Baker
Original Design: Al Foote
Kit Designer: Tom Cleland

This thing is a real blast to fly. It only has rudder/elevator/throttle, but you can see it really has some incredible performance. Move the CG back and it will auto rotate straight down like an elevator.

Chuck did a fantastic job building it and even put a picture of himself as the pilot

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cErxM_Wy61Y

We are just working out the instruction manual and it will be available as a kit real soon at www.lightflite.com

enjoy!
-=Tom=-
tomgofly is offline Find More Posts by tomgofly
Last edited by tomgofly; Feb 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:06 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Hello Tom, I talked to Chuck as he was flying. He had a big smile on his face the Whole time he was flying the twirl. He has my card and I asked him to drop me a line when they are ready, but could I give you the info also? I would really like to get one when they become available. Thanks, Jim Barden ďflight lineĒ@ Efest
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:36 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Not a problem. I have a list going...

Just send me a PM.

Thanks,
-=Tom=-
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:14 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2003
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattypilot
Hello Tom, I talked to Chuck as he was flying. He had a big smile on his face the Whole time he was flying the twirl. He has my card and I asked him to drop me a line when they are ready, but could I give you the info also? I would really like to get one when they become available. Thanks, Jim Barden ďflight lineĒ@ Efest
Hi Jim,

Yep, still have your card.

Enjoyed seeing you and flying at E-Fest again, despite the carnage.
I repaired my Roadkill P-38 and Camel this evening - they should fly again.

Bill, you remember - the troublemaker, finished his Twirl today and plans to fly it this Saturday at a location on the north side of Indy. His is a bit heavier at 4.7 oz, probably due to all the pink hilighter he used on it!

Next time you're in the Indy area, you'll have to come fly with us. Check out our club website at www.indyrcsouth.org. If you register on the website, you'll be notified of upcoming events in the Indy area.

Take care!
Chuck Baker
Indy RC South
indyrcpilot is offline Find More Posts by indyrcpilot
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:35 PM
Joined Jan 2003
159 Posts
I flew the Twirl some more after the video was taken and experimented with the Center of Gravity. When I moved the battery pack back to balance at about 50% of the wing chord, it really improved the auto rotation qualities.

I could take it up high, throttle back to low throttle and work in full up elevator. The fixed wing stalls, but the rotors take over, spool up, and slow the descent. It is extremely stable in this configuration, but I was still able to pivot left/right on the way down with the rudder.

As it nears the ground, add power and relax the elevator and it starts flying forward again - way cool!

The other neat thing to do is to drive it vertical and hold it 'til the blades stop turning. Then, as soon as you start moving again, the blades start turning. I used an E-Flite 250 motor on mine and AUW was only 4.1 oz with a 300mAH 2-cell LiPo driving an 8x4 GWS DD prop.

I'm looking forward to flying it outside, once the weather warms up. I wanna see how it rolls...

Chuck Baker
Indy RC South
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:39 AM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyrcpilot
Hi Jim,

Yep, still have your card.

Enjoyed seeing you and flying at E-Fest again, despite the carnage.
I repaired my Roadkill P-38 and Camel this evening - they should fly again.

Bill, you remember - the troublemaker, finished his Twirl today and plans to fly it this Saturday at a location on the north side of Indy. His is a bit heavier at 4.7 oz, probably due to all the pink hilighter he used on it!

Next time you're in the Indy area, you'll have to come fly with us. Check out our club website at www.indyrcsouth.org. If you register on the website, you'll be notified of upcoming events in the Indy area.

Take care!
Chuck Baker
Indy RC South
Likes Pink, Kinda heavy, and a troublemaker.Yep thats me! I could use some help here Jim!
wrugen is offline Find More Posts by wrugen
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:14 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
They are both trouble makers! Heck, so's Tom for that matter... Tom ate my Petite Piper with his plane on Sunday! He must have thought it was combat, day 2 No biggie, all's on the repair bench now!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:16 AM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Hi Chuck, and you too Bill!! Iím Glad to hear your where able to repair them. I sure had a blast over the weekend, you guys help break up the dull drums of serous faced pilots. Maybe itís the pressure of flying in front of such a huge crowd? Thanks for the link to your club; Iíll watch it for up coming events. Here is our link to the Champaign club www.ccrcc.info I would like to think that I would fit right in with you guys! Because I know you all would fit in here! Itís a good group of guys, who love to fly. Well itís off to work; take care; Oh and Bill donít make me get out my can of whoop A@# Jim Barden
Last edited by pattypilot; Feb 14, 2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:25 AM
Joined Jan 2003
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
They are both trouble makers! Heck, so's Tom for that matter... Tom ate my Petite Piper with his plane on Sunday! He must have thought it was combat, day 2 No biggie, all's on the repair bench now!
Don't even try to exclude yourself from the group Gene. You're just a bit better about not getting caught!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:42 AM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
As the more mature member of this discussion I would like to mention that the threat of physical volence is a bit extreme.I will admit to flying pink aircraft and having a lot of fun doing it! The Twirl did perform beyond expectations. I look forward to flying mine Sat.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:48 AM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattypilot
Hi Chuck, and you too Bill!! Iím Glad to hear your where able to repair them. I sure had a blast over the weekend, you guys help break up the dull drums of serous faced pilots. Maybe itís the pressure of flying in front of such a huge crowd? Thanks for the link to your club; Iíll watch it for up coming events. Here is our link to the Champaign club www.ccrcc.info I would like to think that I would fit right in with you guys! Because I know you all would fit in here! Itís a good group of guys, who love to fly. Well itís off to work; take; Oh and Bill donít make me get out my can of whoop A@# Jim Barden
The real pressures we face is survival at our local indoors! They dont call me "wackem Willie" for nothin! Bashem Baker and ole Geno can get with the fun also! Glad we injected a little humor into your weekend. We do have fun!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:03 AM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Hehehe, I can attest to "wackem"... and I won't ever mention again his devistation of ground units... Eh, ok, I probably will 'cause it's too fun. Besides, it probably not long before Gene gets me back on the other side of Karma...

Can you get that whoop@$$ in six packs, Jim?

-=Tom=-
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:35 AM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgofly
Hehehe, I can attest to "wackem"... and I won't ever mention again his devistation of ground units... Eh, ok, I probably will 'cause it's too fun. Besides, it probably not long before Gene gets me back on the other side of Karma...

Can you get that whoop@$$ in six packs, Jim?

-=Tom=-
See what you started Jim! Get the ole fat guy down ,then they pile on.Six pack of whoopstuff, just cause I got a Pink airplane(and did wipe out Tommys whole airforce while it was on the ground)OPPS!!!!!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 03:48 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Gene, you can no longer point N run! I have your number!!! Tom, I can get it in six packs but Iíd need to see some type of I.D. because not just every one can handle this stuff in that quantity. I would hate to read about you going postal on my Indy buddies! Bill how in the world did you knock out Tomís entire fleet? Was it good aim? Or just a (plane) accident? Pink planes what's next, a red plastic nose,and floppy shoes? Jim