HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2008, 09:09 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,138 Posts
Discussion
CNC foam cutting service for F3P foamys(or any foamy)

After my last post in response to dcronkhite asking about getting foam cut I got a lot of interest. I thought I would post what services I can or what I can not offer the average builder to the most competitive builder(or designer) I can offer you some of the highest quality cut parts available with very fast turn around times. I'm also more than happy to cut orders of any size, from one off designs to production runs. Any file sent to me will be treated as a copyrighted file(even if it is not) and will never be used for anything more than cutting your parts as asked.

What I can do, I can cut CNC parts from .dxf files or .pdf's among many other file types. Because I use a router and not a laser to cut parts I can also offer "milled out" parts. The router also gives you true 90 degree cuts on your foam where some(not all) laser cut parts do not. If you have any questions about how smooth does the milling come out take a look at the pictures.

What I can not do, I cant mill out precut kits or any precut parts. Doing so over complicates the process and would cost you way to much.

If you have any interest or questions feel free to drop me a PM or email me (Chris@darksidemodels.com) or post here. attached are some photos of work I have done.

Chris Bowker

Dark Side Models
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Painted Bowker Yak 55 for sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:25 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,082 Posts
Chris, would you be interested in cutting airfoil templates for hotwire foam wing cores? I can provide various outputs and the material if you'd like to try. There would be lots of interest from the sailplane guys.

Thanks

Bruce
blewis01 is online now Find More Posts by blewis01
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:37 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,138 Posts
Bruce, I'm always up for giving it a try, drop me an email(Chris@darksidemodels.com) and i'll see what I can do for you. Depending on what you want the templates cut out of I probably already have the material in the shop or can get my hands on it easily. Thanks for your interest.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:40 PM
I have a heli problem...
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Aug 2006
187 Posts
That bipe is really nice. How much would you charge for a kit like the biplane fully routed and everything? Thats including the foam.

Corinator
Corinator is offline Find More Posts by Corinator
Old Feb 13, 2008, 03:40 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinator
That bipe is really nice. How much would you charge for a kit like the biplane fully routed and everything? Thats including the foam.

Corinator

Thanks! The bipe is going through some small changes to get it flying just the way I want. when the full kit is released it will be about $75-80 for the kit milled out and all the carbon fiber with full color instructions. A few local guys have seen it fly and talked me out of a set of foam parts...drop me a PM and we'll talk more about it. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1036724/dsm_illusion/ thats one of the first prototypes flying.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:02 PM
Lebanon, Maine
Joined Nov 2004
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis01
Chris, would you be interested in cutting airfoil templates for hotwire foam wing cores? I can provide various outputs and the material if you'd like to try. There would be lots of interest from the sailplane guys.

Thanks

Bruce
I have been doing this for about 5 years now. You need to be very careful at the leading edge with the type and size bit to get the actual airfoil accurate. I spent countless hours and many, many different type of bits to find a combo that works. Good Luck

Scott
ScottLister is offline Find More Posts by ScottLister
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:43 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
492 Posts
I have some planes i've been designing and was wondering how much would it cost for about 20 planes at a time cost? I want to start at a low number first and if it sells good i'll produce more! thanks
Nooflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nooflyer
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:56 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,138 Posts
Sent you a PM Nooflyer.

Chris
RCG Plus Member