HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:20 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
My re powered Aspire actually flew well

Although not pleased at all about having to replace the stock power system. My Re powered Aspire actually really flies well. I replaced the stock power system with a geared 3.8:1 Kyosho Atomic Force, turning a 14x9.5 prop on 8 cp1700's. Amp draw is 40 amps (high, I know) but climb is spectacular and only requires about 7=8 seconds of power to get to altittude.

Too bad they can't get it right straight out of the box. It would be a decent plane. No wing flap by the way even during some high G Manuvers.--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2002, 05:30 PM
North Carolina
Joined Jul 2002
40 Posts
Repowered my Aspire shortly after attempting to fly it with the stock motor / speed controller. Replaced it with an Electrifly C-30 esc, Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem motor, MPJET Gerabox, and Aeronaut 12.5 X10 prop. Climbs a heck of lot better. Enjoy the new setup
Twin is offline Find More Posts by Twin
Old Dec 31, 2002, 06:27 PM
Profile Infraction
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,928 Posts
I need to drag mine out again and stick a new power setup in it.
It's been parked for about 3 months after toasting the second 480/geardrive in it.

I've been thinking a lightweight, geared/brushless system, but with such a short nose, anything lighter than the 480 and I'll either have to add lead (I refuse), a bigger battery and/or more cells to get the CG correct.

Servos already live as far forward as possible (just under the front wing dowel). So I guess it's either a longer nose or a shorter tail.

How do they do it with the unpowered version ?
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Jan 01, 2003, 12:44 AM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,251 Posts
Aspire wing/Flipper fuselage

Hi Slowflyer-

I've put an Aspire wing on a Flipper fuselage. I'm running a Graupner S480 with a 4:1 gearbox and a 10X8 prop. There is enough power to mount a 6 oz color video camera and battery on top of the wing. I'm getting some video dropouts and prrobably need a high gain antenna on the ground, but the view over the canopy is outstanding. As soon as I figure out how to convert the video into an MPEG, I'll post a copy. The camera also has a sound channel, which is really neat with the engine off.

Rich Loose
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose
Old Jan 02, 2003, 09:33 AM
Joined Dec 2002
20 Posts
Greetings!

I am intrigued by reaching altitude in 7-8 seconds. I have a GP Spectra, and would like to beef up the power, as it takes a few minutes to reach altitude. Our field is surrounded by way too many trees, and I usually lose valuable altitude in my turns.

I am running a Master Air Screw 05 engine with 3.0:1 gear box, and a 12x8 prop. The battery pack is a 7C 2100 mAh pack (kinda like the R/C Car packs, but with one additional cell).

Is there an inexpensive way to get me higher in a shorter period of time? Is it a simple process?

Thanks,
Jason
Winston Salem, NC
jrmdjr is offline Find More Posts by jrmdjr
Old Jan 02, 2003, 09:52 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,198 Posts
.....add another cell !! If it doesn't bring your amp draw up too high.
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Jan 02, 2003, 10:17 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
(and move to lighter cells - get an 8xCP1700 pack)
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 02, 2003, 11:38 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
William A

You may be able to accomplish your goal in this way.
Move the servos to the back of the area under the wing. Place your receiver in the fuselage behind the servos. You will have moved some weight further back which will allow you to use a heavier motor and still maintain your C/G. You should also have gained some additional battery space.

Yes you will add weight. You can limit this gain by switching to mini or micro servos if you are not already using them. Consider the newer CP cells. Lighter in weight with good capacity. You can also save a few grams by removing the case from your receiver and putting it in a piece of shrink tubing. Just don't over shrink it.

If possible get help from a local expert if you can. He may have some ideas beyond what I have offered.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jan 03, 2003, 12:19 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,757 Posts
Here's another inexpensive alternative that works very well.......
Part numbers are from Hobby Lobby.

Kyosho Endoplasma Motor - Tower Hobbies
3.8:1 gearbox - MJ8063
13.5x7 folding prop - HLAN3160
Prop Adapter - HLAN2411
Yoke for 45 mm spinner - HLAN4223
45 mm spinner - HLAN5145
8 - CP1300 Battery Pack
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Jan 03, 2003, 11:57 AM
Profile Infraction
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,928 Posts
Other way around Bill.....
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Jan 04, 2003, 04:17 PM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
I purchased mine with the intention of upgrading from the start.
MP Jet 3.8-1 inline box, Trinity Monsters of Touring 17 turn motor,
MPI /Graupner 11-7 prop, Castle Creations 35 amp esc and a 7 cell CP-1700 pack. First flight was over 30 min. I love this plane and setup. Would highly recommend it. It's too bad the stock setup in these planes are no good. They should offer them with a " NO POWER" option.

Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Jan 04, 2003, 05:54 PM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
I really don't want to start something but I don't understand why everyone seems to be so down on the stock Aspire EP? There are now at least 3 of them that I know of in the Rapid City, SD area and we all love them! Two of us have been flying gliders for years. They fly great right out of the box, why would you want to change them?

Just wondering!

Crashin J
nr5a is offline Find More Posts by nr5a
Old Jan 04, 2003, 08:05 PM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
If you have never seen a modified version fly, just picture an Aspire going vertical verses one lumbering along!! Better flying MOA!
It is a good plane in any form.
Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Jan 05, 2003, 12:26 AM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,251 Posts
Sumpin' Strange going on

I've been flying RC motorized gliders for about 10 months now, but I have made a concerted effort to fly every day if possible, so I have quite a few hours and many crashes worth of experience. I've seen this 'Stock flies Great' vs 'Stock Stinks' come up in many of the R/C groups' threads. What's going on here??? Do different pilots have very different expectations?? Is there some major variations in the power output of stock can motors...sort of a factory Q.A. problem?? Do different production runs of the same model use different off-the-shelf motors?? I've found some performance differences in battery packs of the same voltage. In particular, the 8.4 volt NiCd super-hyped 7 cell 'racing' car batteries are heavy and can't seem to get out of their own way. I know altitude has some effect. Anyway how can 'Stock is Great' and 'Stock Stinks' both be right??

Rich Loose
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose
Old Jan 05, 2003, 07:31 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
I think opinions on different planes performance depends greatly on the pilots skill, experiance and expectations. What I'm getting at is that what may be totally acceptable to a new pilot (wow, it actually flies) versus, the view from an experianced pilot ( Hmmm, it flies, but climbs like a dog).

I hope you kinda get what I'm trying to say. I like a plane that climbs with authority, therefore I didn't even try it with the stock system. I HATE underpowered planes with a passion.

I support offering an "unpowered" version of the Aspire--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer