Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk View Post
What prop will you put on that motor?

Make sure to posta link when you get it video'd
Hi matty to start 4s 4000mAh 35-70c lipo 7x7 apc sport prop ( nitro prop) and then 6s 40-50c 2650mAh same prop the rpm are too high for any E prop on 6s i think
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Last edited by Adrian_M; Sep 17, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:08 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Adrian,

All right, 12x12 it is, I checked the weather for the weekend here in Arizona and it looks good. So as of right now, it's all systems go
Hoss make sure you give it some right rudder at take off and you will be fine
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:29 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Looking forward to the flight review and media Hoss!

I'm in Calgary for the weekend and they have a great Hobby Store here I'm looking forward to visiting http://www.pmhobbycraft.ca/store It a big store with lots of stock one of the largest RC stores in Canada they say

I'm missing out on flying, but I took Monday and Tues off to make up for it. Unfortunetly the SD 50 probbaly will not yet be ready to go. No matter, I've been having a lot of fun with my slower (LOL) Pogo EF1 !
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:43 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Where did you see that? Is it the same unit? Please show us the video.
Looks like Garmin.

Fastest Rc plane PC-9 , 401km/h (5 min 8 sec)

The music sucks, but you don't need sound on to know that this plane doesn't go 249 mph unless it's inside an F5 tornado!
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:02 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
Hoss make sure you give it some right rudder at take off and you will be fine
Hey Adrian,

Thanks for the tip, I am going out to the field this afternoon.
One question, have you checked your AMP draw with the 12x12 yet, I remember you were close to having your new one ready.
Thanks,
Mike
Hossinarizona is online now Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Sep 17, 2011, 02:17 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Hey Adrian,

Thanks for the tip, I am going out to the field this afternoon.
One question, have you checked your AMP draw with the 12x12 yet, I remember you were close to having your new one ready.
Thanks,
Mike
Hi Hoss no i didn't get around to do it i was pulling 82 amps on the 400kv motor with the 12x12 TSG so i expect close to 90 with this motor you will be safe with the 130 anp esc don't worry

I did one a few hours ago
Amp : 92.8
Watts : 3299
Last edited by Adrian_M; Sep 17, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 02:32 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Looks like Garmin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Kku...layer_embedded

The music sucks, but you don't need sound on to know that this plane doesn't go 249 mph unless it's inside an F5 tornado!
Ok so it's not the voltron unit you where talking about i have used the gremlin Gecko on my planes and boats it's always been very accurate when compared to a radar gun most of the time 1 tp 2 kph below radar gun readings
this logger is really small
Last edited by Adrian_M; Sep 17, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,089 Posts
Did I say voltron unit? If I did I apologize. I just meant that I'm not sure about gps tech itself (at least the public stuff). I don't know if they update quickly enough to make it accurate for the short distances that models fly.

If the refresh rate is very high it should be fine. It would be nice to see a graph so any anomalies could be spotted and disregarded.
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:12 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Looks like Garmin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Kku...layer_embedded

HAHA, that was a funny video. Even funnier to read the comments before they were disabled a while back.
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:14 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
Hi matty to start 4s 4000mAh 35-70c lipo 7x7 apc sport prop ( nitro prop) and then 6s 40-50c 2650mAh same prop the rpm are too high for any E prop on 6s i think
Yummy

mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Old Sep 18, 2011, 06:56 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
So I walked out of the hobby store spending under $40 CAD Picked up a APC 12x12 so I could actually fly the SD 50 tomorrow... I would have to use the internal BEC and the Deans plugs..... Should I do it? I think I should....

I almost snapped on a Hyperion Stuka 50", she was one sweet model, but I do have my eyes on a few others.

No flight reports?
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:51 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,787 Posts
I have always used deans and never had an issue with them getting hot or even mildly warm. Even yesterday, after really pushing the SD, they were not even noticeably warm to the touch after a flight (although my batteries were).

I would recommend you try to source a Castle 10amp BEC for added security; are you using digital servos? I have found that internal BECs do not always handle the loads of digital servos very well. However, I think you might be alright flying with the internal BEC for a couple of flights; but I would not consider using the internal one as a long term solution.

SD was beautiful yesterday; but I am already thinking I want more speed than my current setup can provide. I am currently have a Power 46, CC80-amp, 6s Nano with a 10x10 prop. and I am looking at two other motor options (yall's input is appreciated):

Scorpion 4025-12~ great motor, I had it on my Seb Pitts Python, have been considering installing this in the SD before, right now it is planned to be installed on a 100" wing/FPV platform.

or

Scorpion 5545-180KV~ Is this overkill? Can the SD handle this motor with regards to weight/power)? I can get this one for $200, or am I better off spending this $200 on another motor?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:54 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,787 Posts
Hoss , how goes it??
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:57 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I have always used deans and never had an issue with them getting hot or even mildly warm. Even yesterday, after really pushing the SD, they were not even noticeably warm to the touch after a flight (although my batteries were).

I would recommend you try to source a Castle 10amp BEC for added security; are you using digital servos? I have found that internal BECs do not always handle the loads of digital servos very well. However, I think you might be alright flying with the internal BEC for a couple of flights; but I would not consider using the internal one as a long term solution.

SD was beautiful yesterday; but I am already thinking I want more speed than my current setup can provide. I am currently have a Power 46, CC80-amp, 6s Nano with a 10x10 prop. and I am looking at two other motor options (yall's input is appreciated):

Scorpion 4025-12~ great motor, I had it on my Seb Pitts Python, have been considering installing this in the SD before, right now it is planned to be installed on a 100" wing/FPV platform.

or

Scorpion 5545-180KV~ Is this overkill? Can the SD handle this motor with regards to weight/power)? I can get this one for $200, or am I better off spending this $200 on another motor?
Hi There

Scorpion 4025-12 will give you the same performance unless you go up in cell count
Scorpion 5545-180KV way too big for the Sundowner
How many cells do you want to run ?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:19 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,787 Posts
I like using 6s as I can use those batteries on my 550. But if I am not able to gain any more MPH out of a 6s system, I believe I would prefer a 8s setup as I can use the 4s batteries on my wings. (I am economical like this)

Could I go up to 8s on the 4025 (it is only spec'ed up to 7s)?

I guess I am kinda in a balancing act right now between spending money on the Sundowner, or putting money into my FPV ship... I am also kinda snooty in that I like nice equipment, it gets pricey.

What would you recommend, what would you say would be the next step up (if money was no option and you were shooting for speeds of 150mph)?
RCG Plus Member