RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:24 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
On a sidenote, I did loose the gear cover out there... not sure where, but I think I will get another:

http://hangar-9.com/Products/Default...ProdID=HAN4738
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:33 PM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2006
576 Posts
Adrian, I agree some airframes fly nicer at a heavier weight. They feel more planted and track better. Have I flown one? No.
172AMD is offline Find More Posts by 172AMD
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:35 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Good to see you got it flying BS!

Don't feel bad AMD, I haven't flown one either
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:43 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
pics from yesterday...
Very nice what so what do you think of the plane ? the only way to keep that cover on is to tape it on
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:11 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
I have been in love with it since the first time I flew one... Sadly, I put it in the dirt on the 5th flight out at SEFF.

I have flown this airframe 4 flights (a couple of months ago) and had not had the airspace to fly it till today... comes with the territory of living in the city though.

I got in another 5 flights yesterday and it was fantastic. I am getting over the jitters of the previous crash and starting to bring it down on the deck again. Tracks beautifully and it so easily performs the largest, symmetrical loops better than any plane in my hangar.

Although getting much more comfortable with the characteristics and handling, I am having some trim issues. I believe I need to check the CG from wingtip to wingtip. The CG on my nose/tail axis seemed spot on for straight and level full flight with minimal trim changes with application of throttle. However after trimming out the left yaw for straight flight, my plane was traveling a straight line but with a noticeable slip/crab in the attitude of the plane.

Any thoughts? I will try to get vids the next day out...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:36 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I have been in love with it since the first time I flew one... Sadly, I put it in the dirt on the 5th flight out at SEFF.

I have flown this airframe 4 flights (a couple of months ago) and had not had the airspace to fly it till today... comes with the territory of living in the city though.

I got in another 5 flights yesterday and it was fantastic. I am getting over the jitters of the previous crash and starting to bring it down on the deck again. Tracks beautifully and it so easily performs the largest, symmetrical loops better than any plane in my hangar.

Although getting much more comfortable with the characteristics and handling, I am having some trim issues. I believe I need to check the CG from wingtip to wingtip. The CG on my nose/tail axis seemed spot on for straight and level full flight with minimal trim changes with application of throttle. However after trimming out the left yaw for straight flight, my plane was traveling a straight line but with a noticeable slip/crab in the attitude of the plane.

Any thoughts? I will try to get vids the next day out...
to be honest i never even checked mine wingtip to wingtip it always seemed to track really good the SD50 is a fantastic flyer and it just gets better every time you fly it i can never see myself without one in my hangar
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:25 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
I'm not sure what to think about those gps devices. I've seen youtube vids where fixed tricycle gear trainer types go 250 mph. Something is clearly not right there!

SC
Where did you see that? Is it the same unit? Please show us the video.
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:49 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoollia View Post
Where did you see that? Is it the same unit? Please show us the video.
Cool vids on your profile
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:50 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
Thanks
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:38 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
That is strange Bauman, I've never hear that a planes CG needs to be check for tip to tip, but I suppose stranger things have caused un true flight..... I'm really looking forward to when I can take mine up, soon I hope!

That is funny Trainer planes flying 250mph I would like to see that video as well!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:42 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
THat is a lot of cool looking vids! Just watched the Stuka
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:52 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Congrats BSB! Always cool to see the planes owner with the plane. Puts a face with the online personality.

For the trim, was there a breeze or wind? Often times it can play tricks with the plane and trimming yaw. I wonder when you go out next time you won't notice the issue.

Also possible your tail wheel is off, so when trimmed for straight tracking on the ground, it will yaw in the air. For tip to tip roll balance, that is usually done to counter tip stalling characteristics in a plane at stall, don't think it will help much for yaw, but I could be wrong. I suggest checking the vert. stab. for warpage, but since the rudder isn't huge, I would be surprised any warpage would cause noticeable crabbing. I would put my money on the tail wheel is askew.
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:55 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Oh, and BTW BSB, I used amazing goop to glue the gear cover down to the landing gear so it can be removed with the landing gear if need be, might work for you too. I has some flexibility but holds awesome.
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:49 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Thanks Matt, I think I will be using the goop, canopy glue, or rubber cement for the replacement. I think you have the right idea that it needs to be flexible.

I used CA before, and it was no doubt not going to hold up... I did glue it to the LG and not to the fuse, but it just did not stay on. I look forward to getting some air under her again this weekend.
RCG Plus Member