Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:05 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Thanks Adrian!

1500 vs 2000 watts... So what kind of prop would I use with each motor? And I suppose this would be based on a 6s 4000 -5000 mah...
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:28 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Thanks Adrian!

1500 vs 2000 watts... So what kind of prop would I use with each motor? And I suppose this would be based on a 6s 4000 -5000 mah...
Viper don't look at watts too much, i have gone faster with less watts as far as props go you will have to try different ones you could start with 12 x 8 and go from there, always check you amp drew any of those motors are good for 120 mph + and 6s 5000mAh 35c lipo
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:59 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post

Viper don't look at watts too much, i have gone faster with less watts as far as props go you will have to try different ones you could start with 12 x 8 and go from there, always check you amp drew any of those motors are good for 120 mph + and 6s 5000mAh 35c lipo
Okay, sounds like a power/watt meter needs to be placed in the tools to get tab as well

Thanks for that information. I may try the 4020 10T motor then. Sweet!
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:13 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Okay, sounds like a power/watt meter needs to be placed in the tools to get tab as well

Thanks for that information. I may try the 4020 10T motor then. Sweet!
I use the 150 amp eagletree datalogger it's a great too, that motor will be sweet on 6s, you could eve go bigger mAh wise as lond as yo use 35c up lipos the weight won't matter much
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:36 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
I use the 150 amp eagletree datalogger it's a great too, that motor will be sweet on 6s, you could eve go bigger mAh wise as lond as yo use 35c up lipos the weight won't matter much
That is cool.. I never realized the amp draw numbers would be real flying data, and thought it was more bench test extrapolation... Cool!

The long I stick around here, the more I learn. So while my head is filling with info, my bank account is draining A good trade off I think
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:43 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
That is cool.. I never realized the amp draw numbers would be real flying data, and thought it was more bench test extrapolation... Cool!

The long I stick around here, the more I learn. So while my head is filling with info, my bank account is draining A good trade off I think
I brought the datalogger when i was doing rc boats i don't really use it in flight just for static amp draws but it is nice to be able to use it in flight now and then
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:33 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
I was thinking a bench top unit to test and measure as well, however my understanding was I could also grab the data after flight from the Phoenix Ice ESC data log... Whats cool about yours is you can actually telemetry that to your DX8 or other unit (I assume).

I was going to get a Scoprion ESC, however the Phoenix Ice Data logger sucked me in
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:56 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,376 Posts
@Adrian~
Earlier you suggested the Scorpion ESC; I have never given their ESCs any consideration before. Would you say they are of equal or better quality than Castle Creations?

Thanks,
Bradley
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:57 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,020 Posts
Hello guys,

I have read the entire 53 pages about various set up's, here is what I currently have: Neodym 46-580, Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 75, and all Hitec HS485HB's. I am running this on a 5S 4000 mAh 45C battery. I want to get more out of it however, I really don't want to run more than 1 pack. So that being sais, what motor, prop, ESC and battery would someone suggest? It flys nice now but I want to push it a bit more, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Hossinarizona is online now Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:11 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
@Adrian~
Earlier you suggested the Scorpion ESC; I have never given their ESCs any consideration before. Would you say they are of equal or better quality than Castle Creations?

Thanks,
Bradley
Hi Bradley
i don't have any experience with Castle Creations escs for aircrafts in my Boats days some of the guys in my club used them and i did see many go up in smoke i used MGM & Schulze and they where bulletproof

I use the Hyperion ATLAS 90A 12S ESC, OPTO (same esc as the Scorpion) in my Sundowner and have pushed it really hard up to 140 amps still going strong

So in my book they are a great esc
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:15 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Hello guys,

I have read the entire 53 pages about various set up's, here is what I currently have: Neodym 46-580, Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 75, and all Hitec HS485HB's. I am running this on a 5S 4000 mAh 45C battery. I want to get more out of it however, I really don't want to run more than 1 pack. So that being sais, what motor, prop, ESC and battery would someone suggest? It flys nice now but I want to push it a bit more, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike the setup suggested to ViperZ would be a nice & fast
Cheers
Adrian
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:22 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bradley
i don't have any experience with Castle Creations escs for aircrafts in my Boats days some of the guys in my club used them and i did see many go up in smoke i used MGM & Schulze and they where bulletproof

I use the Hyperion ATLAS 90A 12S ESC, OPTO (same esc as the Scorpion) in my Sundowner and have pushed it really hard up to 140 amps still going strong

So in my book they are a great esc
Can't go wrong with a Scorpion, I wanted one just because I planned to run a Scorpion Motor... Maybe another time

Quote:
Hi Mike the setup suggested to ViperZ would be a nice & fast
Cheers
Adrian
+1 I'm liking it and will most likely go withthat set-up
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:58 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking a bench top unit to test and measure as well, however my understanding was I could also grab the data after flight from the Phoenix Ice ESC data log... Whats cool about yours is you can actually telemetry that to your DX8 or other unit (I assume).

I was going to get a Scoprion ESC, however the Phoenix Ice Data logger sucked me in
you really want to know what amperage you pulling before your flight so you should do it static amp draw then dload the data from your esc and take a look at it before you fly the plane
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:06 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
you really want to know what amperage you pulling before your flight so you should do it static amp draw then dload the data from your esc and take a look at it before you fly the plane
Right! Thanks for reminding me