HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:33 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
This one would be a bolt on job

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=SCOS40002


the 4025 is longer so you would have to shorten the 4 standoff spacers

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=SCOS40006

your 100 amp esc should be fine 5 to 6 minutes flying with throttle control
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:05 AM
This is my Nemesis....
ViperZ's Avatar
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Thanks Adrian!

1500 vs 2000 watts... So what kind of prop would I use with each motor? And I suppose this would be based on a 6s 4000 -5000 mah...
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:28 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Thanks Adrian!

1500 vs 2000 watts... So what kind of prop would I use with each motor? And I suppose this would be based on a 6s 4000 -5000 mah...
Viper don't look at watts too much, i have gone faster with less watts as far as props go you will have to try different ones you could start with 12 x 8 and go from there, always check you amp drew any of those motors are good for 120 mph + and 6s 5000mAh 35c lipo
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:59 PM
This is my Nemesis....
ViperZ's Avatar
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post


Viper don't look at watts too much, i have gone faster with less watts as far as props go you will have to try different ones you could start with 12 x 8 and go from there, always check you amp drew any of those motors are good for 120 mph + and 6s 5000mAh 35c lipo
Okay, sounds like a power/watt meter needs to be placed in the tools to get tab as well

Thanks for that information. I may try the 4020 10T motor then. Sweet!
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:13 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Okay, sounds like a power/watt meter needs to be placed in the tools to get tab as well

Thanks for that information. I may try the 4020 10T motor then. Sweet!
I use the 150 amp eagletree datalogger it's a great too, that motor will be sweet on 6s, you could eve go bigger mAh wise as lond as yo use 35c up lipos the weight won't matter much
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:36 PM
This is my Nemesis....
ViperZ's Avatar
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
I use the 150 amp eagletree datalogger it's a great too, that motor will be sweet on 6s, you could eve go bigger mAh wise as lond as yo use 35c up lipos the weight won't matter much
That is cool.. I never realized the amp draw numbers would be real flying data, and thought it was more bench test extrapolation... Cool!

The long I stick around here, the more I learn. So while my head is filling with info, my bank account is draining A good trade off I think
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:43 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
That is cool.. I never realized the amp draw numbers would be real flying data, and thought it was more bench test extrapolation... Cool!

The long I stick around here, the more I learn. So while my head is filling with info, my bank account is draining A good trade off I think
I brought the datalogger when i was doing rc boats i don't really use it in flight just for static amp draws but it is nice to be able to use it in flight now and then
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:33 PM
This is my Nemesis....
ViperZ's Avatar
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
I was thinking a bench top unit to test and measure as well, however my understanding was I could also grab the data after flight from the Phoenix Ice ESC data log... Whats cool about yours is you can actually telemetry that to your DX8 or other unit (I assume).

I was going to get a Scoprion ESC, however the Phoenix Ice Data logger sucked me in
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:56 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
bsbauman's Avatar
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,376 Posts
@Adrian~
Earlier you suggested the Scorpion ESC; I have never given their ESCs any consideration before. Would you say they are of equal or better quality than Castle Creations?

Thanks,
Bradley
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:57 PM
More Speed Indeed!
Hossinarizona's Avatar
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,020 Posts
Hello guys,

I have read the entire 53 pages about various set up's, here is what I currently have: Neodym 46-580, Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 75, and all Hitec HS485HB's. I am running this on a 5S 4000 mAh 45C battery. I want to get more out of it however, I really don't want to run more than 1 pack. So that being sais, what motor, prop, ESC and battery would someone suggest? It flys nice now but I want to push it a bit more, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Hossinarizona is online now Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:11 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
@Adrian~
Earlier you suggested the Scorpion ESC; I have never given their ESCs any consideration before. Would you say they are of equal or better quality than Castle Creations?

Thanks,
Bradley
Hi Bradley
i don't have any experience with Castle Creations escs for aircrafts in my Boats days some of the guys in my club used them and i did see many go up in smoke i used MGM & Schulze and they where bulletproof

I use the Hyperion ATLAS 90A 12S ESC, OPTO (same esc as the Scorpion) in my Sundowner and have pushed it really hard up to 140 amps still going strong

So in my book they are a great esc
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:15 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Hello guys,

I have read the entire 53 pages about various set up's, here is what I currently have: Neodym 46-580, Castle Creations Phoenix Ice 75, and all Hitec HS485HB's. I am running this on a 5S 4000 mAh 45C battery. I want to get more out of it however, I really don't want to run more than 1 pack. So that being sais, what motor, prop, ESC and battery would someone suggest? It flys nice now but I want to push it a bit more, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike the setup suggested to ViperZ would be a nice & fast
Cheers
Adrian
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:22 PM
This is my Nemesis....
ViperZ's Avatar
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
Hi Bradley
i don't have any experience with Castle Creations escs for aircrafts in my Boats days some of the guys in my club used them and i did see many go up in smoke i used MGM & Schulze and they where bulletproof

I use the Hyperion ATLAS 90A 12S ESC, OPTO (same esc as the Scorpion) in my Sundowner and have pushed it really hard up to 140 amps still going strong

So in my book they are a great esc
Can't go wrong with a Scorpion, I wanted one just because I planned to run a Scorpion Motor... Maybe another time


Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
Hi Mike the setup suggested to ViperZ would be a nice & fast
Cheers
Adrian
+1 I'm liking it and will most likely go withthat set-up
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:58 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
I was thinking a bench top unit to test and measure as well, however my understanding was I could also grab the data after flight from the Phoenix Ice ESC data log... Whats cool about yours is you can actually telemetry that to your DX8 or other unit (I assume).

I was going to get a Scoprion ESC, however the Phoenix Ice Data logger sucked me in
you really want to know what amperage you pulling before your flight so you should do it static amp draw then dload the data from your esc and take a look at it before you fly the plane
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:06 AM
This is my Nemesis....
ViperZ's Avatar
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
you really want to know what amperage you pulling before your flight so you should do it static amp draw then dload the data from your esc and take a look at it before you fly the plane
Right! Thanks for reminding me
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Power system for Hangar 9 Sundowner 50 RB51 fan Power Systems 3 Apr 11, 2011 01:03 PM
Discussion hanger 9 sundowner 50 planefixer Fuel Plane Talk 57 Oct 26, 2010 07:59 AM
Cool Hanger 9 Sundowner 50 size cryhavoc38 Sport Planes 10 Feb 17, 2008 10:27 PM
Question Hangar 9 Sundowner 50? GJVO Fuel Plane Talk 0 Aug 23, 2007 02:38 PM
EDF 40/50 Brushless setups/results kd4gfy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Feb 20, 2005 03:11 PM