HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:17 AM
France, IdF, Chelles
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaister View Post
I'm assuming you have to reverse the shaft on all the HK Motors? What about the S motors? If I want to go FAST, is HK with reversing the shaft the way to go?
You have to reverse the shaft on HK series, only if you can not or do not want to use a special mount.
For fast setups with HK series without shaft reversing, a custom mount like Darthwonga's seems to do it well !

Quote:
I looked at reversing the shaft, but on the Scorpion HK3-4025 at least there is no groove for a retaining C-clip or anything on the shaft to stop the motor bell pulling away from the stator if the shaft was reversed (because it's really a heli motor I guess). So I made up a custom prop adapter and motor mount instead, which has worked fine so far.
To be able have the motor with the reversed shaft, I made a new groove at the 8mm end of the shaft, hoping the single C-Clip will be strong enough to withhold prop+ spinner + rotor.

Recently, i read another solution on the Scorpion Thread, which is to change the shaft for a s4035 series, 8mm all along, with flats on it and long enough to allow a collar on the rear side, stronger that a single C-Clip for sure...

FunQBass is offline Find More Posts by FunQBass
Last edited by FunQBass; Sep 06, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:08 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunQBass View Post

To be able have the motor with the reversed shaft, I made a new groove at the 8mm end of the shaft, hoping the single C-Clip will be strong enough to withhold prop+ spinner + rotor.
No way I would trust a c-clip. I have made my own notches for motors, but all in the less than 500w range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunQBass View Post
Recently, i read another solution on the Scorpion Thread, which is to change the shaft for a s4035 series, 8mm all along, with flats on it and long enough to allow a collar on the rear side, stronger that a single C-Clip for sure...
This is most desired. Notch the shaft and throw a c-collar on it, then you won't have to worry about it at WOT
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:29 AM
May the Farce be with you
United Kingdom, Scotland, Dundee
Joined May 2006
57 Posts
I'd have to agree, I wouldn't trust one of those little C-clips to take all the motor strain by itself! I guess I could have made a new shaft rather than the mount, but I like that my mount keeps the prop as close to the motor bearings as possible, less overhang means less strain on them (I think).

Here's the first video that I've managed to get from my Sundowner in flight, unedited. Still trying to get the camera settings right, so the colours are a bit off, and I didn't really go balls-to-the-wall, wanted to get comfortable with the handling change after bolting the camera on. Plenty of throttle management meant the batteries where only about 50% down by the end. Please ignore the landing, it was truly crap (forgot to use my rudder thumb enough, really need to on this model to keep it lined up on the runway)!

Sundowner 50 - First Video (4 min 48 sec)

Cheers,

Oliver
Darthwonga is offline Find More Posts by Darthwonga
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:20 PM
olllian
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Boys i have been loving the SD50 on 10s 4035-400kv Scorpion motor with a 12x12. I am doing a little project thats cheap and i think will be fun and fast at low cost. I try to stay away from HK inmy big planes but check this out. i got this moter And got this shaft that fits perfict in it. I pushed the shaft out the other side. The moter looks good and planning on running on 10s still with a 12x12 prop. We will see how the bearings hold out wish me luck.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ize_heli_.html

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...0c6259cb90fa52
olllian is offline Find More Posts by olllian
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:22 PM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthwonga View Post
I'd have to agree, I wouldn't trust one of those little C-clips to take all the motor strain by itself! I guess I could have made a new shaft rather than the mount, but I like that my mount keeps the prop as close to the motor bearings as possible, less overhang means less strain on them (I think).

Here's the first video that I've managed to get from my Sundowner in flight, unedited. Still trying to get the camera settings right, so the colours are a bit off, and I didn't really go balls-to-the-wall, wanted to get comfortable with the handling change after bolting the camera on. Plenty of throttle management meant the batteries where only about 50% down by the end. Please ignore the landing, it was truly crap (forgot to use my rudder thumb enough, really need to on this model to keep it lined up on the runway)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXP0w7BYMsE

Cheers,

Oliver
Nice vid
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
I like Fast Warbirds
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian View Post
Boys i have been loving the SD50 on 10s 4035-400kv Scorpion motor with a 12x12. I am doing a little project thats cheap and i think will be fun and fast at low cost. I try to stay away from HK inmy big planes but check this out. i got this moter And got this shaft that fits perfict in it. I pushed the shaft out the other side. The moter looks good and planning on running on 10s still with a 12x12 prop. We will see how the bearings hold out wish me luck.

Wonder if this shaft would serve if I wanted to reverse the shaft and not make a custom mount?
Webmaister is offline Find More Posts by Webmaister
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Wonder if this shaft would serve if I wanted to reverse the shaft and not make a custom mount?
That's what I am doing but the stock shaft has a flat spot all the way down so that's why I had to get a new one. I wont be needing a special mount. I don't like adding to much to the nose.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Probably the original shaft won't work, but if you are in the US, MCMasterCarr is an excellent place to pickup 6mm shaft stock in 1 foot lengths. They work great.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:

I was looking at those motors, look really good, but the price is a bit high for me right now. Hope the motor works well for you, give a report, ok?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk View Post
I was looking at those motors, look really good, but the price is a bit high for me right now. Hope the motor works well for you, give a report, ok?
Will do just got the shaft today
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2012
45 Posts
Quote:

you probably would have been better off buying the S 4035 8mm shaft i have used it myself on a Hyperion HS 4035-500kv motor with great success
Ep0wer is offline Find More Posts by Ep0wer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:24 PM
olllian
Joined Nov 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep0wer View Post
you probably would have been better off buying the S 4035 8mm shaft i have used it myself on a Hyperion HS 4035-500kv motor with great success
I alredy have a nice trueturn spinner that is 6mm at the end thx anyway man. This shaft i got has the same clip distance and right demintions!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:05 PM
I like Fast Warbirds
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
Borrowed your setup advice for my Foam P51

Although not a Sundowner, I wanted to incorporate some of the power setups you guys are running into an Airfield 1450 mm P51 EPO Foam Plane. Here's the results...

Here's the maiden flight of an AirField EPO 1450 MM P51 Marie with a Scorpion 4025 - 740 running on 8S. The prop was a 11 x 8. Voltron measured 119.3 MPH. Still have 2 more cells to add but I need to upgrade to an HV ESC and those things are expensive. This thing is a knee shaker for a foam plane..

World's fastest Airfield P51 Project (3 min 2 sec)

World's fastest Airfield P51 Project GPS Speed Check (0 min 42 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:56 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,003 Posts
Goodness! That's a big chunk-o-foam to be dragging thru the sky!!! Good job managing all that torque, and good luck with 10s. Oughta be nuts.
Oh, and nice landing. I didn't see that groundloop at the end
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
I like Fast Warbirds
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Goodness! That's a big chunk-o-foam to be dragging thru the sky!!! Good job managing all that torque, and good luck with 10s. Oughta be nuts.
Oh, and nice landing. I didn't see that groundloop at the end
Josh
hehe. thanks man.