HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:55 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,115 Posts
Hey all . Im new here . Got a sundowner to get the saito 115 it had on it . Now im thinking of electrifying it . I do mostly 3d so im not up on what to get for electronics . I thought running an 11" prop on a 40 size plane sounded crazy till I looked through some of these threads .

I have a motrolfly 3615 custom wound to 850kv on a 4.5lbs profile plane . I run it on 4s4000 with a 14x7apc pulling about 85amps . I was looking at where I got it for a sundowner motor (subsonicplanes). They have a 3615-1250 on a 8x6 that puts out 1800 watts on a 6s setup . Is that too small of a prop ? Im sure they could wind me one at a lower KV to use a bigger prop . I would like to get at least 6min of flight too . How many watts are you guys pulling to get 110+ mph ? Also how do your planes balance with all that battery weight ? I see some of you are running up to 10s . Not sure of the mah's but thats gota be the weight of a brick .

http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:39 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
bsbauman's Avatar
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,481 Posts
I am going to try to log, gps, or radar a few flights this week, but I think I am only around 90-100mph (possibly a little faster) on Power 46, 6s 4000mAh, 10x10, CC80amp esc.

I will get it on the WattMeter before I take it up, and will post results and data from my setup.



BTW~ Welcome to the thread, there is a ton of great info in here-especially if you are interested in fast electric setups. Be sure to post some pics of your new bird, it is one of the best looking on the market IMO
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:38 AM
Fill'er Up!
mattyhawk's Avatar
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian View Post
Matty go with this one it has a super big heat sink on it and i am running 10s with it with a 4035 400kv scorpion moter and boy is it fast =0


http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_ESC.html
Ollian, you were reading my mind. I keep hearing people saying the HV esc's from HK are junk, except the TURNIGY K-Force 120A-HV. I have one and it is the stuff. It is big, but it fits fine in my sundowner. It can handle the power and performs flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken View Post
Hey all . Im new here . Got a sundowner to get the saito 115 it had on it . Now im thinking of electrifying it . I do mostly 3d so im not up on what to get for electronics . I thought running an 11" prop on a 40 size plane sounded crazy till I looked through some of these threads .

I have a motrolfly 3615 custom wound to 850kv on a 4.5lbs profile plane . I run it on 4s4000 with a 14x7apc pulling about 85amps . I was looking at where I got it for a sundowner motor (subsonicplanes). They have a 3615-1250 on a 8x6 that puts out 1800 watts on a 6s setup . Is that too small of a prop ? Im sure they could wind me one at a lower KV to use a bigger prop . I would like to get at least 6min of flight too . How many watts are you guys pulling to get 110+ mph ? Also how do your planes balance with all that battery weight ? I see some of you are running up to 10s . Not sure of the mah's but thats gota be the weight of a brick .

http://www.subsonicplanes.com/Motrolfly_Motors.html
Hey Mike,

THe 8x6 is too small. It might get the plane moving, but it will fly scale or not be very efficient for the airframe. Try to keep it over 10". A guy used a 9" prop on a 60LX JETT engine and got to 130mph, but it got there SLOW and with a dive.

http://www.jettengineering.com/sundowner.html

Most people around here run between 11" and 12", seems to be the sweet spot for the 1500-4000W setups to get up to 140mph. The 12" prop gives instant thrust to punch out and get to speed without a dive.

The battery weight is actually minor. The plane has a gentle stall speed and is fairly light wing loading. It flies nice and lands pretty slow even loaded with huge batteries ( I have run 3lbs of batteries in mine).

Planebldr has a similar setup you might be looking for. He used a 580kv 50-55 Turnigy on 8S and a 11x7.5 (i believe) and got to 110mph. I think he was at about 1800W, you should look back about 6-12 months to double check that.

If you want to do a 6S setup for 100mph, stay in the 600-700kv area. For 8S use a 500-600kv, and 400-500kv for 10S. Also consider staying above 40mm diameter can size for high power. You will probably see the amps in the 65-90A propped for speed for each level.

If you need help choosing a motor, let us know.

mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:54 AM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,526 Posts
I'm going to order some lipos today and need some quick help..
Is 5000mah 8s to much for this airframe or should I do 4000-4500mah 8s?
I would love the extra runtimes with 5000mah as I'm also going to use these 4s packs in my P-Spec race boat...
Thank you all so much with all the great info in this thread!
Really looking forward to building my SD50
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Last edited by brushless55; Mar 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:29 AM
Fill'er Up!
mattyhawk's Avatar
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I'm going to order some lipos today and need some quick help..
Is 5000mah 8s to much for this airframe or should I do 4000-4500mah 8s?
I would love the extra runtimes with 5000mah as I'm also going to use these 4s packs in my P-Spec race boat...
Thank you all so much with all the great info in this thread!
Really looking forward to building my SD50
What will be the C rating on the 5000mah? How many amps you gonna pull?

Just make sure they will fit. Remember, with the size, you will have to move or remove the brace above the battery compartment.

No, 8s 5000mah will not be too much as long as they fit. you will probably be happier with 4000mah for the lighter weight, but buying 1 set of batteries for multiple platforms is ideal.
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:44 PM
Registered User
planebldr's Avatar
Brillion,WI 54110
Joined Jul 2009
593 Posts
I currently run a Rhino 6s 4900mah and a 2s 4900mah both 20c and it handles them fine. I did run it on just 6s once and couldn't tell the difference in weight.
planebldr is offline Find More Posts by planebldr
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:22 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk View Post
What will be the C rating on the 5000mah? How many amps you gonna pull?

Just make sure they will fit. Remember, with the size, you will have to move or remove the brace above the battery compartment.

No, 8s 5000mah will not be too much as long as they fit. you will probably be happier with 4000mah for the lighter weight, but buying 1 set of batteries for multiple platforms is ideal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planebldr View Post
I currently run a Rhino 6s 4900mah and a 2s 4900mah both 20c and it handles them fine. I did run it on just 6s once and couldn't tell the difference in weight.
You guys are awesome, thank you!
I just tried some 5s 5000mah 20c packs and even those will fit when I move the brace more forward...
so 4s 5000mah 30c is what I will get..
I'm needing these for a test and tune this Sat. for my Race Boat, so I hope they come in by Thurs-Fri
that's why I needed fast answers!!
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,115 Posts
MattyHawk I am kinda wondering what kind of motor to get that wont break the bank . I wont get another 50-55 turnigy . Had one and it threw magnets in 3 flights . Read reviews on the new ones and people have the same issue . What other motors would work good on 6s .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:56 AM
Fill'er Up!
mattyhawk's Avatar
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcChiken View Post
MattyHawk I am kinda wondering what kind of motor to get that wont break the bank . I wont get another 50-55 turnigy . Had one and it threw magnets in 3 flights . Read reviews on the new ones and people have the same issue . What other motors would work good on 6s .
Curious which 50-55 motor, I have had 5 of various flavors and had no issues, though I proactively epoxy, CA or loctit the mags in before flying it for the first flight as I have read others with mag throwing.

Anyways, since turnigy's are just XYH rebranded, and XYH make the majority of cheap brushless motors these days, so it can be hard to find a replacement to those motors, especially since these are higher efficiency than most of the chinese competition.

Suppo might be an option, you could try the A4120/6 620kv on 6S and 11x12 prop, might get you the 110mph you are looking for coming out of a dive, but the motor will be at it's limit, so limited WOT pulls would be advised. I am attaching a loose ecalc for this motor for an 11x12 apc.

You could also go with the EFlite knockoff series of motors, which is the Tacon Big Foot or MonsterPower or Turnigy Easymatch G46 Series 670kv. They don't handle as much power as comparable motors though. I don't think you can hit your 110mph mark with one.

If you want a cheap option with highest payoff, you should really reconsider using a Turnigy 50-55 or 42-60, but use loctit 410 to flow between the mags before first use:

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ref=LOCTITE410

Stuff works like a charm to keep the mags in and handles more heat than the mags themselves can handle.

Or, save your cash and go Scorpion, Hyperion, etc. You cannot go wrong with these motors and have excellent resale value even if you fry it, which is pretty much impossible even if you are at the limit. You might find some really good prices in the RCG Classifieds if you keep your ear to the ground. eBay is not great, I have a saved search running for about a year now for Scorpions, and they don't show up much, mostly just the Heli versions over 800kv.

Matt
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:25 PM
Registered User
umitv's Avatar
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Sep 2011
50 Posts
guys, I have a question!! what motor would you put in sundowner formula 1 to go +160mph? I have a backup fuselage for my gas formula 1 than I tought maybe I can put in it electric power!!
umitv is offline Find More Posts by umitv
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:14 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitv View Post
guys, I have a question!! what motor would you put in sundowner formula 1 to go +160mph? I have a backup fuselage for my gas formula 1 than I tought maybe I can put in it electric power!!
It would need around 7000 to 8000 watts and a big wallet
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:02 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
MikeMcChiken's Avatar
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,115 Posts
Good info MattyHawk . I havent heard of using loctite before use or at all . Thats a good idea .
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:09 PM
This is my Nemesis....
ViperZ's Avatar
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Great idea Matty!
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:39 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
jgalexander's Avatar
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitv View Post
guys, I have a question!! what motor would you put in sundowner formula 1 to go +160mph? I have a backup fuselage for my gas formula 1 than I tought maybe I can put in it electric power!!
I'd put a Chevy 350 in there....yep, that'll do it.
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:32 PM
Fill'er Up!
mattyhawk's Avatar
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitv View Post
guys, I have a question!! what motor would you put in sundowner formula 1 to go +160mph? I have a backup fuselage for my gas formula 1 than I tought maybe I can put in it electric power!!
If I remeber right, steveC did a giant scale Kelly a
While back on 15S, probably the 8000w Adrian mentioned needed. It was doing 180mph, but slicker airframe. I'm sure you could do it if you have a $1k laying around just for the power system, and don't think you will find the power system at Hobby King... hehe...
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Power system for Hangar 9 Sundowner 50 RB51 fan Power Systems 3 Apr 11, 2011 01:03 PM
Discussion hanger 9 sundowner 50 planefixer Fuel Plane Talk 57 Oct 26, 2010 07:59 AM
Cool Hanger 9 Sundowner 50 size cryhavoc38 Sport Planes 10 Feb 17, 2008 10:27 PM
Question Hangar 9 Sundowner 50? GJVO Fuel Plane Talk 0 Aug 23, 2007 02:38 PM
EDF 40/50 Brushless setups/results kd4gfy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Feb 20, 2005 03:11 PM