ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:50 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,033 Posts
Adrian,
Curious, have you tached your set up, I am just wondering how many RPM's you are getting on your 10s set up? Since this is an electric set up, I guess I can use my regular tach that I use for my nitro engines According to UPS my transmitter should be here Friday, if so all systems are go for a maiden this weekend
Thanks,
Mike
Hossinarizona is online now Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:57 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
funny you ask; I tried to tach mine out at the field a week ago and I have concluded...

...my tach is broken. At least that is what I assume, it read only 120rpm
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:53 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Adrian,
Curious, have you tached your set up, I am just wondering how many RPM's you are getting on your 10s set up? Since this is an electric set up, I guess I can use my regular tach that I use for my nitro engines According to UPS my transmitter should be here Friday, if so all systems are go for a maiden this weekend
Thanks,
Mike
Hi Hoss no idea on the rpm i have a rpm sensor for my eagletree but i have never used it must be time to try it lol i would say around 14.500 rpm
there is no reason why it woldn't work but be careful getting your hand close to that prop
by the way my Sundowner ready to fly is bang on 3.7 kg
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Last edited by Adrian_M; Sep 30, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:55 PM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,033 Posts
Hey Adrian,
Thanks for the update, I will check my weight, I think I am right around 8 1/2 pounds or 3.8 kg. My radio according to UPS is due Saturday, so I might be able to maiden it Sunday, not sure
Have a good weekend,
Mike
Hossinarizona is online now Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:22 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossinarizona View Post
Hey Adrian,
Thanks for the update, I will check my weight, I think I am right around 8 1/2 pounds or 3.8 kg. My radio according to UPS is due Saturday, so I might be able to maiden it Sunday, not sure
Have a good weekend,
Mike
Cheers Hoss i hope all goes well
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:41 AM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Hi Guys i got 3 more flights today after work with the new Sundowner first flight i did a few level passes recorded 233Kph (144mph) and did some dives with the two other lipos 0ne @ 259kph and the other @ 258Kph (160Mph)
The Scorpion S-4035-460 is a good performer just warm to the touch after each run (no spinner) so i guess it gets better cooling I'm running 5deg timing and 8kHz drive frequency
Hopefully tomorrow is a nice day and should get a few more runs i will up the timing and see what happens
I'm still having problems with the plane wanting to roll to the right at full throttle, still using the same prop i was using in my first Sundowner TSG 12 x 12E just cant work out why
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:05 AM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_M View Post
Hi Guys i got 3 more flights today after work with the new Sundowner first flight i did a few level passes recorded 233Kph (144mph) and did some dives with the two other lipos 0ne @ 259kph and the other @ 258Kph (160Mph)
The Scorpion S-4035-460 is a good performer just warm to the touch after each run (no spinner) so i guess it gets better cooling I'm running 5deg timing and 8kHz drive frequency
Hopefully tomorrow is a nice day and should get a few more runs i will up the timing and see what happens
I'm still having problems with the plane wanting to roll to the right at full throttle, still using the same prop i was using in my first Sundowner TSG 12 x 12E just cant work out why
Very nice! (except for the issue with the rolling, looking at it from the back or the front?)
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:57 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
What a great data tool Adrian! Weird that on the left rolls, it can't believe it would be caused by a prop, but STD her things have happened.

I may need to add a Scorpian 4035 to my shopping list for future considerations
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:16 PM
Fill'er Up!
Oxnard, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
What a great data tool Adrian! Weird that on the left rolls, it can't believe it would be caused by a prop, but STD her things have happened.

I may need to add a Scorpian 4035 to my shopping list for future considerations
Viper, your avatar changed, I'm gonna miss the bipe pilot. Fortunately, it was replaced with a SD50
mattyhawk is offline Find More Posts by mattyhawk
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:57 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk View Post
Very nice! (except for the issue with the rolling, looking at it from the back or the front?)
Hi Matty it rolls to the right going away from me so from the rear i will try another prop today but i can't see it being a prop problem
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:52 PM
186mph Funjet Ultra
nieuw vennep, the netherlands
Joined Feb 2010
514 Posts
Hi Adrian

My flying buddy had the same problem! It was caused by the wing incidence being slightly off, Measure your wing incidence on both sides and correct any slight difference by filing the holes from the rear wing alignment slightly oval until both wings line up exactly!
Up to 140mph you can trim it out, but with higher speeds the wings start to twist because of the slightly deflected ailerons.

Grtz René
E-speed buff is offline Find More Posts by E-speed buff
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:05 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
Rene, that may just be the answer to his probs, I did not think about that. What would you suggest is the best tool on the market for measuring incidence?

Robarts got one, Hangar 9, and a bunch of others... have you found one you like more than others?
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:34 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-speed buff View Post
Hi Adrian

My flying buddy had the same problem! It was caused by the wing incidence being slightly off, Measure your wing incidence on both sides and correct any slight difference by filing the holes from the rear wing alignment slightly oval until both wings line up exactly!
Up to 140mph you can trim it out, but with higher speeds the wings start to twist because of the slightly deflected ailerons.

Grtz René
Thanks for your imput what would be the best way to check ?
Old Oct 07, 2011, 06:29 PM
186mph Funjet Ultra
nieuw vennep, the netherlands
Joined Feb 2010
514 Posts
Hi Adrian

Take the wheels off, put it on a flat surface as level as possible and measure the height from the leading and trailing edge to the flat surface.
These measurments should be equal on both wings!
You can also use an incidence meter but I found that less accurate.
The higher the speed you want to fly the more precise you have to align it.
I also discovered that because of wing twist you lose roll controle above 150-160mph.
My M8 was flying with a Powercroco modified hyperion motor 3.5KW+ with an APC12x14 pattern prop on 6S, 170A!

Grtz René
E-speed buff is offline Find More Posts by E-speed buff
Last edited by E-speed buff; Oct 07, 2011 at 06:39 PM.