SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:10 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
Discussion
cheapaid (inkaid substitute)

Michael (epilot) made the suggestion to me of using mat white emulsion paint (I think it is sometimes called latex paint) as a primer for foam printing so I gave it a go on some pre-coated samples he sent me. It certainly coats the foam well but was not a great printing substrate as the ink tended to leach into surrounding areas.

A bit of searching of the web and various patents and the word starch kept popping up, as I had some corn flour (or corn starch over the pond) I thought I would try adding some, the idea being that the starch would give the ink somewhere to soak in to, gelatin is another possible material to try. Well my preliminary experiments seem to suggest it works, it does not leach and it provides a nice bright background so the print shows up well. I hope someone will run with this idea and find some good recipes, at the moment I don't know how thick it should be or what the weight is like and to be honest I don't have the time or the inclination to find out at the moment.

FWIW I used dulux matt white emulsion (which is rather thick).

Cheers,

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:21 AM
RC WANABEE
Bremerton, WA
Joined Nov 2006
320 Posts
Would spray on fabric starch (for ironing clothes) work? That is of course if it will not eat up foam. Or be to heavy maybe a light misting?
RC WANABEE is offline Find More Posts by RC WANABEE
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:08 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
It might be called starch, it probably isn't starch but who knows however you would not get the bright white background for your printing.

Graham
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:15 PM
Joined Mar 2006
104 Posts
Read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_alcohol

or

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/New+mo.....-a0168215029

or

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/70...scription.html

Before, I had try coating with Liquid Paper. It can print on but too pale like it can't absorb much paint or the paint just dry on the surface. Now, I prepare PVA and zeolite to try as second link but can't find the DADMAC and too busy to continue. The PVA can find from fiber-glass store , it use for release mold.
The zeolite is hard to find, I find it from factory in country, I think maybe baby powder can use in stead of it as the pigment absorbent. I not certainly know the property of DADMAC but I think maybe alum can use instead of it.
Peterfly is offline Find More Posts by Peterfly
Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:30 AM
Brooklyn NY
Joined Feb 2004
892 Posts
Cheapaid? I spent $20 on Inkaid and don't think I'll ever run out. If I were going to mix up my own "cheapaid" I think latex would be a poor choice as a base. It's formulated to be thick, so it doesn't drip, and coverage would be poor if thinned. I'd start with gesso, and add some cornstarch, as Graham suggests, to start. Sounds too simple, but maybe it would work?? I already have my Inkaid and it works just dandy so I doubt i'll try it...rather spend my precious little time building planes.

--Robert
rguillot is offline Find More Posts by rguillot
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:48 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
I guess I have solved a problem that doesn't exist.

I'll crawl back under my rock.

Graham
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:54 AM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,922 Posts
Inkaid is a lot more expensive in the UK and it's always fun to experiment a bit

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:08 PM
Brooklyn NY
Joined Feb 2004
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot
Inkaid is a lot more expensive in the UK and it's always fun to experiment a bit

Michael
Agreed. Hope someone does

--Robert
rguillot is offline Find More Posts by rguillot
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:20 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,188 Posts
the corn starch sounds interesting from the standpoint that if you can use laundry spray starch (in the aerosol can) then it makes applying it easier (no need to set up the air brush).

I do agree with Robert about the cost. Here in the US you get a QUART of ink aid for $25, and then you dilute that a bit more than 50/50 with water. About 1/2 a fluid ounce of ink aid fully coats three 8.5" x 11" sheets of foam. I think my quart will probably last me many years. Seems affordable enough to me considering I'm applying it to foam that costs $6.00 a sheet.

That said, there's NOTHING wrong with a little bit of investigative experimentation. You never know what you'll learn. Maybe corn starch is lighter?
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:34 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined May 2007
427 Posts
In this post (#15 in the thread), Gilley said:

...Or you can mix up your own by mixing 40% PVA, 50% Acrylic Gloss (or Matte) Medium, 10% water and a drop of liquid detergent. Apply a thin coating to the sheet styrofoam with a napless roller and allow to completely dry before attempting to print. I sometimes add Acrylic Matte Gesso to the percentage of Acrylic Medium portion to achieve better printer roller traction which can be an issue if the foam sheet is too "slick". Make sure to clean the foam surface by washing with warm water or better yet wipe it down with denatured alcohol prior to surface treatment. The sheets should be as flat as possible.
mcm1303 is offline Find More Posts by mcm1303
Old Feb 17, 2008, 03:51 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
2005 as well!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 08:48 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm1303
In this post (#15 in the thread), Gilley said:

...Or you can mix up your own by mixing 40% PVA, 50% Acrylic Gloss (or Matte) Medium, 10% water and a drop of liquid detergent.
By PVA do you mean Polyvinyl Alcohol, or PV Acetate?

OK to PM me.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim