Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:40 AM
Surf's up!!
sixty9mustang's Avatar
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Build Log
SOS 60 Semi-scratch build -MAIDENED 6-22

Hey Guys
Just thought some of you might be interested in this. I started a SOS 60 build on Sunday. I acquired it back in 1990 from a co-worker, he started the build and basically almost had it finished, when he decided it wasn't worth it. I had just destroyed my 42 inch SOS, when he asked if I wanted to finish it. Well when I got it, I was going to finish it and fly it. After inspecting the changes he had made to the fuselage, I decided it was not worth it. the vertical stab was over a 1/2 inch thick at the base and up to the Stabilator mount. He had glassed the entire fuse (glass work wasn't bad), which made it very heavy. The wing was sheeted, glassed the center section out to the ailerons. Then applied 2 one inch wide carbon tow almost the length of the wing to both the top and the bottom. He had to torque rods mounted coming out of the top of the wing, which gave the inner trailing edge a slight droop, or camber(not good on this plane). SO I ditched the fuse, corrected the torque rod/trailing edge problem. Then last week decided that I would look at the plans to see if I had enough extra wood laying around to build a new fuse.

Once I had figured out the wood situation, I copied parts of the plans. that I would need to make some templates to manufacture the parts I needed. The wife got sick on Sunday, so having to spend the day looking after her I decided to start on this build. This way I could be close enough to help her if she needed it.
First I cut out the templates I needed, then the fuselage sides. Then carefully cut out all the extra little doublers and pieces for the vertical stab.
I found a sullivan cable for the Stabilator and dremeled a groove into the vertical. Then slowly started glueing everything together.
Here are the pictures as of Sunday night. I have actually gotten further than this, but I haven't taken anymore pictures yet. I will update tomorrow night with more pictures.
Can't wait to fly this one.

Happy Flying
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Last edited by sixty9mustang; Jul 25, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:48 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Doubletap's Avatar
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Lookin' good Chip! Always loved the SOS series. Sorry you got beat on Ebay over that SOS 50.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:02 PM
Surf's up!!
sixty9mustang's Avatar
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
Lookin' good Chip! Always loved the SOS series. Sorry you got beat on Ebay over that SOS 50.

Doubletap
Thanks DT
I have liked them also, just wish I could get a complete kit/unstarted. I usually get beat on E-bay, as I don't have the funds that other people have, but I am getting my tax return soon and that may be a different story next time.
But hey I will have more pics tonight, even though I woke up with the wife's cold, gotta persivere. Right?!?!

Happy Flying
Chip
PS kind of dissapointed, thought there would be more interest in this thread, ow well.Maybe wrong title--should have posted New 300 MPH SOS 60 Build-LOL ,maybe that would have gotten more attetion-LOL
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:31 AM
Surf's up!!
sixty9mustang's Avatar
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Here are some more pics of the fuselage. I got the stabilator cable secured in the fuse. The top sheeting on, the nose block and the canopy block added. I added 3/8 triangle stock instead of the 1/4 inch stuff to help with rounding out the fuselage, other bonus it help make the fuse super stiff. After I finish the cable ends, I am going to work on the wing. I have to smooth it out, lots of sanding. Shape the tips, and am thinking about glassing them to help with the durablilty. And build some new ailerons.

Happy Flying
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:28 AM
Fun ain't cheap!
droydx's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,966 Posts
Nice work. The SOS's are great flying ships. I'll be checking your build! I always enjoy balsa stuff. Seems like people get scared by it, and I don't know why. Folks will put twice as much time in building a Moth straight and true compared to a balsa ship. If you know how to fly (and land) the balsa ship will outlive the Moth. Plus, there's something soulful (?!) about working with natural wood. I'd like to see some new designs using more wood as the structure....its time to GO back to the Future!!!
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:53 PM
Surf's up!!
sixty9mustang's Avatar
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx
Nice work. The SOS's are great flying ships. I'll be checking your build! I always enjoy balsa stuff. Seems like people get scared by it, and I don't know why. Folks will put twice as much time in building a Moth straight and true compared to a balsa ship. If you know how to fly (and land) the balsa ship will outlive the Moth. Plus, there's something soulful (?!) about working with natural wood. I'd like to see some new designs using more wood as the structure....its time to GO back to the Future!!!
Thank You Droydx
I too enjoy building with wood. I do like foam cores though. One of the things that I think is satisfying to me, is that I can go to the craft store (no hobby shop here) and buy $10 to $20 dollars worth of wood and that to some scraps and build a plane out of it. So far I only have about $12 invested in this build. I already had a lot of hardware laying around. The other thing is, like this build, I am doing it right at the dining room table. Good thing the wife is sick or she might get cranky about that . LOL
I will say it is hard to find straight wood at the craft store.

Happy Flying
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 03:02 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Doubletap's Avatar
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Chip, I'm no longer too particular about balsa wood stick and aileron stock as far as straightness as i've found that these pieces are actually easy to bend back into shape to take any curvature out. Sheet stock is a differnet story though. I've done this even with 2" wide trailing edge stock. Of course, it's always nicer to not have to "fix" the stock that you have purchased.

Carry on!

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:58 PM
Long to be flyin'
Antonsoarer's Avatar
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Nostalgic stuff. Working with wood is very satisfying, many happy years spent sitting in front of the TV generating a pile of razor-plane shavings. That feeling as you get ready to carve the crude block shape into something sleek, cool

I switched to using stripwood or hardwood longerons a long time ago, models last longer

Tony.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:03 PM
Surf's up!!
sixty9mustang's Avatar
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
Chip, I'm no longer too particular about balsa wood stick and aileron stock as far as straightness as i've found that these pieces are actually easy to bend back into shape to take any curvature out. Sheet stock is a differnet story though. I've done this even with 2" wide trailing edge stock. Of course, it's always nicer to not have to "fix" the stock that you have purchased.

Carry on!

Doubletap
Hey DT
Are you steaming the wood back into shape? I am taking today off of from building, resting from being sick, spending time here on RCG. Will resume building/sanding tomorrow. And more pics to follow .

Quote:
switched to using stripwood or hardwood longerons a long time ago, models last longer
Hey Tony
It is pretty cool starting with block and ending with a plane.
I was surprised to see the longerons and no bulkheads, but it makes a very stiff fuselage. The longerons under the wing saddle were supposed to be 1/16x1/4 inch, but all I had was 1/8x1/4, so a little more strength, bummer .

Thanks Guys
Happy Flying
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:14 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
Doubletap's Avatar
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang
Hey DT
Are you steaming the wood back into shape?

Nope, not at all. I just bent them the other way until they looked straight; works just great. I found this out after receiving a whole box full of warped balsa sticks and TE's. I thought 2/3rds of them were unusable and just threw them all into my basement. Then one day I needed some stock and didn't have any so I took a look at all the "junk" wood. I started reverse-arching them 'til they were straight and they held! Give it a try although YMMV.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:49 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
droydx's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,966 Posts
Yes. Foam core wings sheeted with wood are a good thing! i'm not dissing any kind of material, just that wood seems to be a forgotten medium for fun, inexpensive, sport slopers. The 1/64 ply doublers really make for a strong box fuselage
Go Chip!
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:17 PM
Registered User
indy cv-62's Avatar
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
No Hobby shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9mustang
Thank You Droydx
I too enjoy building with wood. I do like foam cores though. One of the things that I think is satisfying to me, is that I can go to the craft store (no hobby shop here) and buy $10 to $20 dollars worth of wood and that to some scraps and build a plane out of it. So far I only have about $12 invested in this build. I already had a lot of hardware laying around. The other thing is, like this build, I am doing it right at the dining room table. Good thing the wife is sick or she might get cranky about that . LOL
I will say it is hard to find straight wood at the craft store.

Happy Flying
Chip
I use to take my lunch at the Hobby Town USA and snoop around for a half hour once or twice a week. Maybe they closed up shop, it's been awhile since I had a run to Helena.

Hobbytown USA- Helena
1421 11th Avenue
Helena, MT 59601
406-449-8921
Email: hobbytownhelena@aol.com
indy cv-62 is offline Find More Posts by indy cv-62
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:10 AM
Registered User
indy cv-62's Avatar
Billings, Montana
Joined Dec 2006
400 Posts
He, He, He, Just spotted the ZICAM in one of your build photo's. Sorry your sick Chip but, it is a little funny to see ZICAM as a building necessity. I know that it was probably as important to you as glue at this point. To quote the poignant phrase depicted in my beautiful wifes tatoo "All Things Through Perseverance". Hang in there, hope you and your wife get to feeling better soon.
indy cv-62 is offline Find More Posts by indy cv-62
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:34 AM
Surf's up!!
sixty9mustang's Avatar
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy cv-62
I use to take my lunch at the Hobby Town USA and snoop around for a half hour once or twice a week. Maybe they closed up shop, it's been awhile since I had a run to Helena.

Hobbytown USA- Helena
1421 11th Avenue
Helena, MT 59601
406-449-8921
Email: hobbytownhelena@aol.com
Hey Indy
Yeah HobbyTown has been gone for a while now. Poor ownership/management led to it's ultimate demise . The poor guy was toooooo trusting of some of his employees and just not a businessman. Oh Well. I helped him out during several of his model shows (plastic scale models that is ). But anyway.

Quote:
He, He, He, Just spotted the ZICAM in one of your build photo's. Sorry your sick Chip but, it is a little funny to see ZICAM as a building necessity. I know that it was probably as important to you as glue at this point. To quote the poignant phrase depicted in my beautiful wifes tatoo "All Things Through Perseverance". Hang in there, hope you and your wife get to feeling better soon.
ROFLOL
For the last couple of days it has helped me to breathe very well . I didn't even notice they were in the pic.
I am doing pretty good, but the wife and my son are bearing the brunt of it so far . Thanks for the well wishes.
I did get more done yesterday and will post pics tonight. It is actually looking like a SOS. I did another bench fly today and my daughter got real excited, I love her . I think she will be the one that enjoys this hobby the most out of my kids. SHe is amazed how a pile of sticks turn into an airplane. She also asks tons of questions. Of which I gladly answer.
Talk to ya more tonight.
Happy Flying
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Last edited by sixty9mustang; Feb 15, 2008 at 04:35 AM. Reason: splelnig
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 04:28 AM
Surf's up!!
sixty9mustang's Avatar
United States, Mt, East Helena
Joined Oct 2005
1,453 Posts
Hey I am back
I got some more done, shaping the fuse/nose/canopy-hatch. I will probably finish the fuse this weekend and hopefully getmost of the wing finished up as well. Would like to have it ready to go in a week or so. I have a little wing saddle adjustments to make (very minor) and have to get after sanding the vertical. Apply a little filler for some minor fillets, but really not much left on the fuse. The wing will be a very tedious project, as I want to smooth it out, without distorting any of the finished work. Oh and make new ailerons. then the big question will be to cover it (and what color) or to glass it and paint it (and what color). I will probably cover this one. Will have to see how well either Monokote or Black Baron adhere to the glass and Carbon tow on the wings.

Well anyway here are some more pics, enjoy.
Chip
sixty9mustang is offline Find More Posts by sixty9mustang
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool COZY Mk IV Canard Semi-Scale Foam Scratch Build Steven Wong Foamies (Kits) 241 Dec 17, 2013 11:58 PM
Discussion Semi-Scratch build bird.. Tram Electric Plane Talk 21 Jun 20, 2007 04:45 PM
Build Log Semi Scratch build, the Invid toqer Slope 0 May 29, 2007 10:16 PM
60" S3 Viking composite scratch build mothflyer Slope 29 Dec 28, 2004 04:38 AM
Firebird II Speed Wing for 1st Semi-Scratch Build? Dave Hederich Power Systems 16 May 21, 2002 09:50 AM