SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 10, 2001, 02:32 AM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
clipped wing Zagi

I just clipped 10Ē off my Zagiís wing span. Iíll see how it does tomorrow. Anyone tried this?
-fish
fisher is offline Find More Posts by fisher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2001, 11:50 AM
AW
Sugar Land, TX
Joined Feb 2001
124 Posts
You might want to hang on to your clippings... A friend of mine tried this and it moved the center or gravity too far forward to balance right. It didn't look that much faster....
AW is offline Find More Posts by AW
Old Jun 10, 2001, 12:41 PM
Fun Flyin
Escondido, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
289 Posts
I just did the same thing last night! Now is just screams!!! I can do five barrel rolls at one time in leval flight! I will post pictures once I get them!! I made the wings look just like the wedgie plane!!
funflyer is offline Find More Posts by funflyer
Old Jun 10, 2001, 03:01 PM
Fun Flyin
Escondido, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
289 Posts
Has anybody else done this and if so, do you have any pictures!!
Old Jun 10, 2001, 09:13 PM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
Just flew it...
not much different.
First try had the CG too far back.(if you remove the tips of a swept wing you essentially move the CG backwards not forward)I moved the battery pack forward and lowered the throws and it settled down a bit. Roll rate is still high but not ridiculous. The speed doesnít seem much better on mine either. The climb rate is a little better now.
Overall Iím not impressed.
-fish
Old Jun 10, 2001, 10:00 PM
Fun Flyin
Escondido, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
289 Posts
fisher: did you cut out the middle or the wings?
Old Jun 11, 2001, 01:09 AM
Fun Flyin
Escondido, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
289 Posts
Here are my pictures, notice the shape of the wing...is very pointy like the Wegie speed 400 plane! Its also all epp.

[This message has been edited by funflyer (edited 06-10-2001).]
Old Jun 11, 2001, 01:14 AM
Fun Flyin
Escondido, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
289 Posts
Oh ya I almost forgot. My little plane above is only 34 inches wide!
Old Jun 11, 2001, 02:02 AM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
I cut 5" off each tip.
-fish
Old Jun 11, 2001, 02:33 AM
auckland, new zealand
Joined May 2001
27 Posts
I cut 14" out of the center section of my viper (zagi like slope soarer) yesterday, mainly cos the center section has had the snot beaten outa it. I put sub micro servos in it and all up weight of about 220 grams on some dodgy scales.

Flew it today 5-10 knot winds, was very smooth, climbed well & moderately fast, with an incredible roll rate! I'm going to try a speed 400 in it....

heres sum specs:

weight: 140 grams (airframe, rx & servos only)
wing area: 1742.5 cm2
Wing span 850mm
length 380mm

I got sum pics but i dont know how to post them - cutting & pasteing dont work! email me and i'll send them to ya's!

mattkyle is offline Find More Posts by mattkyle
Old Jun 11, 2001, 09:15 AM
Sugar Land, TX
Joined Feb 2001
102 Posts
I did this last weekend... I first tried taking 1.75" on each wing tip.. made an awesome improvement.. would roll better, climb better and definitely faster... then I decided to take another 4.25" off each tip and boy was that a mistake... it flew like crap.. like AW said, I had to tape the batter where four of the eight batteries were hanging off the nose.. then it would fly actually slower than the original and it wasn't very stable..
I would say the ideal clipping is at 1.75" off each side...

ericstac is offline Find More Posts by ericstac
Old Jun 11, 2001, 02:04 PM
Terry Dunn
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Jan 2001
862 Posts
I had very good luck clipping 6" off each wingtip of my old zagi. It flies and rolls faster and handles wind a little better. It does require a bit more speed to be stable though (yes..you gotta move the CG forward). I wouldnt have done it if I didnt have a "stock" zagi also. It was a nice change of pace. I say "was" becuase the shorter span zagi has been the test bed for my vectored thrust experiments. I havent updated the page since creating it, but here are pics of the 36" zagi: http://users2.ev1.net/~nbad/short_zagi.htm

Terry
mopar_man is offline Find More Posts by mopar_man
Old Jun 11, 2001, 02:36 PM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
This is from an earlier post I made:

"I took the Zagi's winglets off, cut three inches off each wing, and put the winglets back on. Now my Zagi was nose-heavy...what to do? Took the speed 400 out and installed a Dymond Max48--that extra ounce in the tail balanced things quite nicely. I stuck the Gunther prop back on.

Next day out at the flying field, I put in an 8x500AR pack and gave her the pizza toss. Faster level flight, much better climb, better rolls, climbing loops. Watch out for those tip stalls, though. My Zagi just moved up a notch or two on my "preferred airplane" list."

In summary, I'm happy with 3" off each wing and getting it to balance with a heavier motor--not sure how things would go with 5" removed.

Eric
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn
Old Jun 12, 2001, 03:23 AM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
If you clipped the tips I donít see how you ended up nose heavy. removing wing area from behind the current CG will move the CG point forward and leave you tail heavy.
-fish
Old Jun 12, 2001, 11:47 AM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
Fish,

Since the wingtips of the Zagi are behind the cg, when you remove them, you create a nose-heavy situation for the same desired cg point--8" aft of the nose. Adding the one-ounce heavier motor aft of the cg, re-balanced the airplane at the 8" point.
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn