HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2008, 03:28 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
I don't understand all the fuss about cost, it's not that expensive. I bought a roll of 75micron (lightweight stuff). The roll is 640mm wide, 100 metres long and cost £47 including delivery and vat. In terms of coverage that is way cheaper than anything you can buy from an RC shop. I know it seems a lot of covering but I shouldn't need to buy the lightweight again .

I have since found a better supplier in the UK and will order some 250micron gloss for heavier builds. It only gets expensive if you go for the wider stuff, check the average chord on an EEP racer and you could buy this 125micron 320 wide gloss for about £30.

Tony.
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2008, 03:30 PM
Its not IF... Its WHEN.
West Yorks
Joined Feb 2007
1,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopetrashuk
This new stuff? It's not 'expensive' is it?

Andy

Just thinkin' aloud.....
For the sake of the rest of the world, who might find this a bit cryptic, check out

Yorkshire Airlines (2 min 9 sec)
The.Timinator is offline Find More Posts by The.Timinator
Old Sep 06, 2008, 04:19 PM
crashed again
UK West Yorkshire
Joined Oct 2005
733 Posts
Anton its not about cost. its about ease of availability for everyone.
Rocket Ronnie is offline Find More Posts by Rocket Ronnie
Old Sep 06, 2008, 04:36 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Ronnie
Anton its not about cost. its about ease of availability for everyone.
Ease ...it is getting easier..
..you ring this number 0870 162 0736, pay about £30 to £40 and they send you a great big roll of the stuff. You then use it or chop it up for you and your mates, enough to last for years. Or you use the tinternet and similar things happen and it arrives within 24 hours.... technology amazininit?
Old Sep 06, 2008, 05:04 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Sorry but this issue of availability is rubbish. The rule change proposes the use of an alternative material. NOT a specific material from a specific source. I have more than enough plastic wallets for use in a small A4 laminator. This stuff is perfectly legal. True it may mean a patchy covering job rather than a big sheet but my design might require just that.
You gotta think outside the box and figure what the rule change is going to allow YOU to do rather than how others might use it. Forget the source that you know as the 'New Stuff' and look at 'laminating film'.
It's all over E bay for example. Now you just have to find stuff that meets the rules and work out an innovative use. I really don't see it giving that much of an advantage to be honest. Sure the models will build quicker but so what? And if I find a way to play new rules to my advantage that you didn't think of then thats your tough luck!

Move to vote.

Andy
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Sep 06, 2008, 05:14 PM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
Oooh what's the design Andy? Something interesting to brighten up this crummy summer?
Old Sep 06, 2008, 05:18 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
See! You're jumping to conclusions.....
I started with a couple of fastbak tips and some carbon bagged elevons that I had left over from a previous Timinating....
Old Sep 06, 2008, 05:47 PM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,614 Posts
Anyway, it's good that all concerned have a say in the matter and I'll be perfectly happy to go along with the democratically decided outcome.
skirmish is offline Find More Posts by skirmish
Old Sep 09, 2008, 11:26 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,713 Posts
FYI - I have jsut sent a mail to Stan Yeo at Phoenix models about potentially stocking this stuff, I will post his feedback here when it arrives...
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Sep 09, 2008, 02:38 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
FYI - I have jsut sent a mail to Stan Yeo at Phoenix models about potentially stocking this stuff, I will post his feedback here when it arrives...
may be waiting for a while then...
Phil
Phil.Taylor is online now Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Sep 09, 2008, 03:15 PM
Shropshire
Joined Jan 2005
470 Posts
Quote:
Stans doing less not more Matty .................
Andy_b is offline Find More Posts by Andy_b
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:58 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_b
Stans doing less not more Matty .................
Yes, but he still sells loads of covering and radio gear, just because he's getting out of kit manufacture doesn't mean he wouldn't stock this if there was a resonable mark up there. Worth a try...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2008, 09:09 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Joined Jan 2004
3,713 Posts
PS - Just noticed the result should be published tomorrow, place your bets now...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:41 AM
West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,614 Posts
Quote:
PS - Just noticed the result should be published tomorrow, place your bets now...
Or maybe even late this evening.......................

There could be a North South Divide.................

But I think it will be close
skirmish is offline Find More Posts by skirmish
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:46 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Yes, but he still sells loads of covering and radio gear, just because he's getting out of kit manufacture doesn't mean he wouldn't stock this if there was a resonable mark up there. Worth a try...
I had this from Stan to put in my slope column. A response to a comment I made about him ceasing kit production.
So straight from the horses mouth as it were, over to Stan:

As mentioned previously in Andy's column PMP is ceasing production of their range of EPP models but are not looking for a buyer for the kits or are scaling down the business. In fact we are still looking to develop the business further. The EPP kits are being phased out for a number of reasons, the main one being the unavailability of suitable quality EPP blocks in an appropriate size to manufacture the kits economically. Other reasons are kit manufacture is only a small part of our business and if we want more 'Stan Time' as Andy puts it something has to give. We have no intention of packing up. We, I! get a lot of pleasure running PMP and in anycase what would I do with the 60 hours that would suddenly become free! I am however looking forward to reclaiming my hobby and have a number of new models I want to design orbiting inside my head. Obviously they are not EPP but when they have gestated we will probably publish the plans for other like minded souls as is the intention with some of our 'wood / foam' designs. May I take this opportunity to thank everyone who has supported us over the 32 years and say we appreciate your 'bouquets' and look forward to meeting your needs and chatting with you for a few more years to come. Stan.
PS. Please check our website for models that are still available.