HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:05 AM
Joined Feb 2008
4 Posts
Discussion
Seeking Sterling Catalina fittings

I have an old, uncompleted Sterling Chris Craft Catalina cabin cruiser which needs repairs, finishing and fittings.

Firstly, does anyone have a source (other than Ebay) for the fittings kit? I was hoping someone would buy one of the kits and start reproducing them before using the kit themselves, but no luck yet.

Second, how can I finish the hull? It is built, but poorly painted (planks show through). Can I sand it, then brush with epoxy to seal and smooth it? How do you get a smooth hull?

Third, what sorts of propulsion and steering kits are suitable for this model? I'd like to give it a pond run from time to time.

Thanks, Chris
clockman is offline Find More Posts by clockman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:34 PM
Joined Feb 2008
4 Posts
No one has fittings?
clockman is offline Find More Posts by clockman
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:42 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,930 Posts
Ideas

Lights are available from model boat sources like Mack

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/lights.htm

You could probably fabricate most fittings yourself using hobby shop materials, soldering, Dremel tool and files, etc. You might try making your own molds.

PS: Graupner sells some fittings that may be useful.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Feb 14, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:58 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
Hang in there clockman. Ebay is still the best source for original parts and fittings. But first of all welcome to our forum and as a new member you will get all the answers to all your questions in due time. We all know everything there is to know about model boats and we will share all that info and experience with you . No problem. Next thing is to post some pictures.We need to SEE what shape your model is in so we can advise you on what to do. We have to have pictures and the more the merrier so get clicking.
Next we have to find you some plans and instructions so you'll know what your boat should look like and how it is put together. That may cost a few bucks but probably less than ten. If your boat is the same as mine then thats not going to be a problem.
So lets get going with the pictures and with restoring your model. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:42 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Clockman, fittings for these are not made by anyone else, thats why on the fairly rare ocassion that they do come up for bid on Ebay, they command such high prices. I know because I have a Sterling Catalina purchased from Ebay. These fittings are'nt exactly museum quality to start with. Someone with a full set could make molds and cast parts,but Im not sure how nice they would be. Also, to look nice, they should be plated. This all takes time,expertise and money. I guess no one so far has thought it was worth doing. So that leaves Ebay. My Catalina has a poorly built hull also. Im planning on using balsa filler and alot of sanding to shape the hull. Then a couple of coats of resin, primer and paint. Balsa filler can be found at you local hobby shop as the RC aircraft guys use it. Good luck to you.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:32 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,734 Posts
Our club has a monthly meeting tomorrow night. One of our members does some of the Sterling CCs (hulls & cabins) in fiberglass. He may have made silicone molds for the Catalina fittings. I'll ask him.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:06 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
283 Posts
I don't have any spare fittings but I can gey dimentions for you if it would help. Meanwhile here a 2 pics of a 50+ year old model which still runs great. she has a single screw using the original pitman motor.Greg
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:27 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
Looking at that Catalina the port holes look to be just like the ones on my 63 footer and I think they are like the grommets you find on canvas boat covers. Check that out at a canvas shop or hardware store. Also you will find that any fittings set for these Sterling models will have many of the same items in them. Check the fittings out for the Corvette model and the like as they very well may be perfect for the Catalina. My bow hatch covers look exactly like the one on the Cat. Keep watching eBay and you'll get what you need but meantime you have much work to do on what you have right? Pete
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:29 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384806 Check this. Same boat I think although we havn't seen any pictures of your boat yet. Pete

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389283

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728182 You have company clockman.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:43 PM
Joined Dec 2007
439 Posts
If you're not too picky about "Sterling" fittings, Dumas sells the fittings for their Chris Craft Boats.

See:

http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/i...hp?cPath=78_90
RC-Archer is offline Find More Posts by RC-Archer
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:48 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Archer
If you're not too picky about "Sterling" fittings, Dumas sells the fittings for their Chris Craft Boats.

See:

http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/i...hp?cPath=78_90
Problem is scale. What scale is the Catalina?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:51 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,074 Posts
Clockman, The Sterling cast parts are common for all of their kits and what you get depends on how many of what part the kit needs. Dumas parts will work as there are common sizes and parts. Go to Joannes fabric shops and look for the grommets,they are what is used for portholes and the store has a variety of sizes and shapes. Cleats,chocks, etc. are common for all kits and can be found at Bluejacket,hobby expo, Loyalhannaboatyard,and a number of other mail order companies. Cactusland has several plated sets of cast parts. Hope this helps you.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:12 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
norgale, your right, the scale is the key. Most Dumas models are mostly 1/8th scale, Sterlings are all over the place.The Sterling kit is bassed on the 50' Catalina, so is about 30in long or 1/20th scale. This is too far from 1/8th to use Dumas fittings.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:48 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,688 Posts
If my 63' motor yacht is 40 inches long,what would that scale be? I get 1:19 which is pretty close to 1:20 if I'm doing this right.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:55 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predreadnut
norgale, your right, the scale is the key. Most Dumas models are mostly 1/8th scale, Sterlings are all over the place.The Sterling kit is bassed on the 50' Catalina, so is about 30in long or 1/20th scale. This is too far from 1/8th to use Dumas fittings.

That is true for the runabouts ( 1/8th scale) but not so for the cabin cruisers. They are close enough to use cast parts from one kit on another.
Oh yes did I mention that a set of castings from an old Berkely C/C would fit just fine?
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton