Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 13, 2001, 07:16 PM
Joined May 2001
63 Posts
Wingo - what to expect w/disposable camera riding shotgun

Thanks to all you folks, I've actually gotten pretty good at flying my little epoxy and foam Wingo. Between practice and successfully building a serial interface cable for that free flight sim, I can pretty much tool around as fast or slow as the Wingo can go. I'm thinking that after a few more decent flights, I'm going to install the disposable camera kit. For all those who have tried it, what can I expect? Will it fly differently? I don't want to accordion it the first time....thanks.
Mark Fitz is offline Find More Posts by Mark Fitz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2001, 07:47 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,692 Posts
You can buy a reusable camera from walmart for under $20 which is pretty light. That and a servo and some tape has got you in business. Someone has pictures of the golden gate bridge which are spectacular...there is a web site for plane pictures which gives a lot of info on mounting, etc., sorry. I forgot the address.
Probably a search for 'Wingo picture camera' would turn it up. Expect a lot of "bad" shots and some very good ones. "bad" being a shot of nothing imparticular.
Good clicking
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 13, 2001, 08:52 PM
Joined May 2001
63 Posts
Thanks hoppy, but I was more interested in its flight characteristics...I assume it will be a pig, but will I need more room to fly it? Can I still hand launch?
Old Jun 13, 2001, 09:02 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
I used one of the small Kodak outdoor disposables (great pictures) and a CS10 on the shutter. Power was 6V Sp400, 2:1, Slim 9X5, flew off water with floats... handling was fine, take-offs only slightly longer, all in all very little effect- more due to slightly nose heavy condition due to camera than weight.

What power are you using - as set up, mine would be fine for H/L (not that I ever would)

go for it ! it's great.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Jun 13, 2001, 09:06 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,692 Posts
Ok, needs a very firm toss, a NiCd battery, long initial run to build up speed and then spiral it up. Yeah, it's a dog with that weight but it will climb high with the 8 cell NiCd if not pushed. I did some glide tests first in tall thick grass. Took more up elevator trim then before to get a level glide even tho balance was OK. I couldn't get the camera plane up with a NiMH battery.
The gearbox radix uses probably makes a lot of difference. Mine was direct drive.
hoppy

[This message has been edited by hoppy (edited 06-13-2001).]
Old Jun 14, 2001, 05:53 AM
Joined May 2001
63 Posts
I'm just using the stock direct drive 400 with a 7 cell that they shipped me. On that Walmart camera -- do you know what the brand name was? I recall vivitar being mentioned around here somewhere...it would be nice to get an autowind camera so I don't have to bring it back down after every shot.
Old Jun 14, 2001, 08:47 AM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
Mark,

You might want to go geared (1.85:1) on that Wingo. My Soarstar has plenty of thrust on 8 cells.

The pictures of SF were from Neil Morse.

Here is an R/C aerial photo website. I think they are there.
http://www.squid-ink.com/hpn/rc-photos

I did look in Wal-Mart last fall for an autowind camera. They were about $29 and not too heavy. Mount it against the fuse under the wing - not on top, to avoid the "spoiler" effect.

ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD
Old Jun 14, 2001, 09:20 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,692 Posts
Mark, the camera is an "Easy Shot" model ES27EV automatic. It weighs 4.8oz with batteries.
Try your setup, what can go wrong other than it won't climb. If it does you are in business. As I recall, I mounted the camera vertically in the cockpit touching the wing. If you can't get the balance right, take the battery out and mount it to the side of the fuse with tape as needed.
Click click
hoppy
Old Jun 14, 2001, 11:12 AM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
As part of an airborne video project I'm working on I used a 'D' and 'C' battery as ballast to see what the Wingo could handle. On a 6v speed 400 with 2:1 gearbox turning a Master Airscrew 9x6, I was able to hand launch and fly fine. Total weight of ballast: 7.3 oz. As hoppy eluded to, this is a situation where power is more important than duration so stick with the nicad's.
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal
Old Jun 14, 2001, 11:31 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,368 Posts
Dear Mark:
Neil Morse has pictures of his Wingo with camera installed as one of the photos on the squid ink site mentioned above. I mounted first a disposable camera and then a Canon Elfi in the cockpit on top of a piece of EPP foam. The EPP foam is carved out at one end to fit over the 8 cell battery I use. I hold the camera and foam in place with four size 62 rubber bands, two on each side of the camera. They go all around the outside of the front cockpit and work very well. I have two additional rubberbands holding a submicro servo to the camera with the servo arm over the shutter button. A full push to the right on the left stick takes the picture on my set up as my rudder is controlled by the right stick on the transmitter. I have added a one ounce fishing weight to the tail boom just in front of the rudder to maintain my C/G. I fly with a handtoss and climb is a little slower with the extra 5 plus ounces it carries with the camera. I have noticed to bad characteristics in flight with my set-up. Good luck. Michael Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2001, 03:30 PM
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2000
982 Posts
I would definitely go with a geardrive on your Wingo - it will handle the increased weight much better this way. Neil's Wingo is geared and his setup is pretty much identical to Michael's. Very simple setup with the servo to push the shutter button but effective. Neil's photos can also be seen on Hobby Lobby's website.

Greg
greg morrison is offline Find More Posts by greg morrison