HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2008, 11:07 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Discussion
Maiden HZ Super Cub flight in perfect So Cal sunset!

Hello all. I know their are a few large threads pertaining to the SC, and I AM sifting through the wealth of knowledge as we speak, but I do need some answers to questions I haven't found yet.

Today was my first real maiden. I actually flew it once on a low battery and at late dusk and banged up the wing...however I dont count that. Put it up around 4:15 and it was amazing. I had so much fun. It started out bad (broken prop, due to me being VERY nervous) but it shaped up after my second time in the air. It was so much fun and I can't wait to do it tomorrow morning. I was banking, lopping, and landing in no time. I love this plane!

Now onto the question. I have a few for now, but I have a feeling they will add up.

1) MORE FLY TIME!!! I don't need more power, my SC scoots across my small field just grand...but I don't want to fly longer! I have the very common blue Universal Smart Charger (have it for all my airsoft packs) than can put out 1 o 2 amps...so at 2 amps, if I get a couple of 1200 mah batts. they shouldn't take too long. Question is what batteries? I am looking at these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=850
$28 and change shipped to me...seems like a good deal to me. Input? Also, with the stock batt. and those two...how much flying time (roughly. I know their is a lot of variables) am I looking at.

2) Battery box seems to have come "undone" in the front. Is this common? It doesn't seem like TOO big of a problem but I just want to hear from you guys what you think.

3) First add-on/modification will Du-Bro tires...at least I think. I have some decently thick (but short) grass on my field...these tires will give me better landings right? I have a nice black top for take offs, but I don't want to try landing on the pavement just yet. I am thinking 2.5s on the front and a 1 on the back...ultra lights of course.

Well that should do it for now. I had a blast today and this is an awesome hobby!

-Finch
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2008, 11:24 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,348 Posts
Yay!

Isn't it cool

Glad you had a good time. I think the tires on the Cub are too thick for grass already. If you want to tackle grass better, you need to get some really skinny wheels. The tail wheels should be fine the way it is.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:19 AM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Skinny? Hmmm...never would have guessed that. I haven't seen skinnier tires before. I guess i'll have to look around

Thanks.

Going flying tomorrow at 730ish...can't wait...even though it will only be for 10 or so minutes .

-Finch
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:26 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,348 Posts
Something like the ones on the Slow Stick... they roll pretty good in grass, and the diameter is large enough to handle some bumps.

http://www.gws.com.tw/English/produc...t%20wheels.htm
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 10, 2008, 02:33 AM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,179 Posts
I agree on the narrow wheels in grass. I think the GWS will be a little light weight for the SC.

Something like these would be good.
http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...161.5187.0.0.0

Or

http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...3949&CatID=430
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:24 AM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Those look better for me. I like the top ones...I think I'll try to get those when I go to the LHS, they should have them.

What do you recommend for the back?

-Finch
Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:33 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24
What do you recommend for the back?

-Finch
1'' for the tail.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:53 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Thanks.

What about the battery box issue? Is that normal?

-Finch
Old Feb 10, 2008, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,179 Posts
Hi Finch.
Yes it is normal. As you know the landing gear is part of the box. On the first hard landing that soft type silicon gives way. I glued mine with epoxy making sure i got plenty on the 4 prongs that stick into the foam. CA will do the job aswell.

About them batterys. I would go up a cell.
Change those Tamiya connectors as soon as you can for Deans or Andersons powerpoles.

Congratulations on your maiden.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 03:28 PM
AKA FlyGuy172
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jan 2008
141 Posts
Hay just yesterday I helped out a guy that was going to maiden his super cub but unfortunately his battery had no power . Man itís nice out, mid 70s, not too much wind, no clouds, perfect for flying .
Quote:
1) MORE FLY TIME!!! I don't need more power, my SC scoots across my small field just grand...but I don't want to fly longer! I have the very common blue Universal Smart Charger (have it for all my airsoft packs) than can put out 1 o 2 amps...so at 2 amps, if I get a couple of 1200 mah batts. they shouldn't take too long. Question is what batteries? I am looking at these:
With three packs you should get about 30 minutes (very rough estimation). I donít know too much about Ni-MH but donít charge them to fast or you will damage them.
Hope this helped
(By the way, where in socal are you?)
skyranger93 is offline Find More Posts by skyranger93
Last edited by skyranger93; Feb 10, 2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added a little
Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:05 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger93
Hay just yesterday I helped out a guy that was going to maiden his super cub but unfortunately his battery had no power . Man itís nice out, mid 70s, not too much wind, no clouds, perfect for flying . With three packs you should get about 30 minutes (very rough estimation). I donít know too much about Ni-MH but donít charge them to fast or you will damage them.
Hope this helped
(By the way, where in socal are you?)

Yeah, it really looks like spring came early this year here. And ALL the RC Pilots are out this weekend at the school here. In fact I have a full batt. and am about to walk on over...I see some sweet jets up over my house. I live and fly in La Verne...Right next door to the bigger city of Pamona.

Thanks paul, I just put a healthy dose of 5 min all over the front of the box...shouldn't come out again.

Shopping list for LHS (i'll probably go today):

Du-Bro 2.5" tires (2)
Du-Bro 1" tire (rear)
Prop Saver
3 or 4 spare props (Already broke one )

Also, if I got up to 9.6volts (8cell) what sort of mods am I looking at as far as battery space.

Thanks

-Finch
Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24

Also, if I got up to 9.6volts (8cell) what sort of mods am I looking at as far as battery space.

Thanks

-Finch
None hopefully. But its worth checking the dimension of the packs your interested in.
Here's my hobbyzone 8 cell 1000mah. Edit: I have also seen a 1400mah 8 cell pack fit.

I also extended my power cables from the esc/rx. It makes life lot easier

Don't forget to put new connectors on that shopping list. I promise you those Tamiyas will let you down.
Last edited by Paul@SCC; Feb 10, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 06:08 PM
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
How do I get the rear landing gear off...it doesn't seem to be a 'nut' like the front ones.

-Finch