HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2008, 11:05 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
980 Posts
Discussion
Aquacraft Supervee 27 Brushless OR Proboat Blackjack 26 Brushless?

I'm a long time modeler, airplanes, cars and boats/sailboats. But, I've never had a FAST electric boat. Both of these boats come RTR with Brushless power. Both are the same price range. Both are cool lookin'.

Which one to buy?

I will often be running on a BIG lake with chop. That points me towards the cat-style Blackjack. But, I got a close look at the hardward and quality fiberglass hull of the Supervee at the hobby shop. I liked that better.

I'll be running with 4200 NiMH from my R/C cars.

What say you guys?

Scott
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2008, 01:46 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
while I'm getting to like cats(boats that is, the animals have owned me for years )... I'm not too keen on the bj's outdrive setup, those u-joints just don't cut it. I would say that if you want to race then the sv is the way to go...(for the moment). one should keep in mind that when talking about 30+mph boats there are few that can handle waves over say 2".
your batteries might be up to the task...for either boat they'll need to be able to handle a 45amp draw(continuous) and, have deans plugs installed. intercell connections should be battery bars, not the thin welded tabs. the sv27 does have some issues that need to be addressed before running(imo), since I haven't been keeping up on the bj I don't know if it has issues, however the forum over at offshoreelctrics has a section set aside for both boats(one for each). hth and welcome to the world of FE boats.
rex
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old Feb 09, 2008, 03:04 PM
Joined Jan 2007
33 Posts
sv

I Am Race Director For The Chattanooga Boat Club And The Sv To Me Is The Far Better Choice. They Rule Our 12 Cell Mono Class. The Bj Isn't That Fast, It Won't Run With A 12 Cell Hydro With A 700 Brushed Motor. Too Much Hull And The Hardware Isn't As Good As The Sv. From Our Experience All You Have To Do To A Sv Is Change Props And Move The Batterys Forward.
Sonny
sonny123 is offline Find More Posts by sonny123
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:31 PM
Joined Apr 2006
980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny123
I Am Race Director For The Chattanooga Boat Club And The Sv To Me Is The Far Better Choice. They Rule Our 12 Cell Mono Class. The Bj Isn't That Fast, It Won't Run With A 12 Cell Hydro With A 700 Brushed Motor. Too Much Hull And The Hardware Isn't As Good As The Sv. From Our Experience All You Have To Do To A Sv Is Change Props And Move The Batterys Forward.
Sonny
I live in Indianapolis area, but my brother lives just west of you in Jasper, TN. Where do you guys run? Something smaller than Nickajack I'd have to imagine! We come down each summer. Love to watch you guys run a race. I belong to the Indianapolis Admirals R/C Boat Club up here. www.indyadmirals.org. I run a scale Midwest Lobsterboat (20 years old) and also sail Victor V32s. But I'd like to get something fast. Ed Hughey is in our club. You probably know Ed!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
Joined Apr 2006
980 Posts
I also like to paint my own models. Something to make them not stock from the box. I assume the gel coat on the Supervee can be roughed up and repainted for some color fun?

Scott
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:56 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
while I can't speak for all of the clubs...I believe most clubs don't have a problem with repainting the sv27's. you should check with your 'local' club. main thing is; don't sharpen the edges of the chines(this moves the boat to the modified class). one thing to keep in mind, rc boat racing tends to resemble a stock car race...and the boats get to looking kinda beatup after a season of racing(especially if they get run over ). two colours I'm moving away from; bright yellow, and white, they look nice on the water...but for some reason those colour boats seem to attract other boats to them .
Old Feb 11, 2008, 03:18 PM
Joined Apr 2006
980 Posts
Thanks Rex. My son and I run RC cars too (Associated RC10T4's) and those get VERY beat up each race, so I know what you mean. I just was going to spruce up the top deck. Add neons and that sort of thing. But, you are right, those brighter colors can attract bites!

{:>)
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:33 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
my theory is 1) the course markers are bright yellow... 2) yellow/white boats can be hidden by the sun's glare 3) white boats blend with the wake/roostertail... last season I raced 3 bright yellow boats, only one managed to emerge unscathed...my yellow sv got run over twice(2nd time put a hole through the hatch). this year I'm going more to 'don't hit me pink' fer the under side and radioactive green for the topside and hope that no one mistakes them for buoys
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:07 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
here is a link to a page that has what most clubs consider a 'stock' sv http://www.waveblasters.org/links.php (stock & novice class). and should you happen to get up to WI... we run ours with a small port side turn fin (namba 'M' course, 8 laps/ 1 mile) .
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:03 PM
Joined Jan 2007
33 Posts
Yes,jasper Is Just North Of Us. I Raced At A Big Concrete Oval In Jas. Years Ago. We Run Just South Of Chatta .on The Ga.- Tenn. Stateline At A Place On I-75 Called Shipp's Rv. They Let Us Use Their Lake. We Race Every 3rd Sunday Of Each Month With A Play Day The Day Before For The Sailboats And Scale Boats. Our Web Site Is Chattanoogamodelboatclub.org. Click On Our Links And You Can See Pics Of Our Yearly Regatta We Have In June. Next Sunday, The 17 Th We Have Our Ironman Race, I Call It That Because We Race No Matter What The Weather Two Yrs Ago It 27 Degrees And We Had 27 Racers. If You Come Down This Summer Check Us Out, We'll Show You Some Southern Hospitality.
Sonny
sonny123 is offline Find More Posts by sonny123
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:15 AM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
have seen both boats in person, have the sv27 myself. the bj26 is fast from a standing start but the sv27 can take it on a long straight. this is both stock with 8.4V 3600mAH packs. you can replace the bj26's outdrive for a strake system so that's not too big of an issue.

personally, i like them both and would probably get the bj26 to go with my sv27 if only i didn't have the flying bug again.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:01 PM
Joined Apr 2006
980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
here is a link to a page that has what most clubs consider a 'stock' sv http://www.waveblasters.org/links.php (stock & novice class). and should you happen to get up to WI... we run ours with a small port side turn fin (namba 'M' course, 8 laps/ 1 mile) .
I've got some good friends in Beaver Dam, WI. So maybe that meeting could happen some day!

{:>)
Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:11 PM
Joined Apr 2006
980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive

if only i didn't have the flying bug again.
Well, I'm mostly a flyer for 25 years, but I'm exploring other aspects of the hobby too. Thats my Indy 400 that was featured in Model Aviation in July 2006 issue there on my avatar. A fun design.

Scott
Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:23 PM
Joined Apr 2006
980 Posts
This is a good article off the SuperVee site. You've probably seen it, but just in case you haven't...

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/techs...qub17tech.html
Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:47 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
i think in the long run you'd be happier with the sv27 over the bj26. or, why not go bigger and get the gas powered aquacraft Rio 51!

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub43-main.html

that looks like a fun boat.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive