HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2008, 12:50 PM
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
Discussion
beginners 3d helicopter

hi, ive been flying for about a month with a blade cx2, and am confident in my ability to move up to non-coax helis.

Ive been looking over some, including:
the Blade CP+
the Raptor G2
the Venom Night ranger 3d

I have either read/been told that these have some problems.
specifically the blade CP+'s instability and the VNR3D's low quality parts.

are there any suggestions as to the best, moderately priced 3d capable heli?
leedude is offline Find More Posts by leedude
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2008, 01:06 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
get a HBFP and learn to fly it then get a CP, you'll crash and smash while learning a single rotor heli so get the FP and save your self a butt load of money. Once you can really fly the FP then get a CP and learn that one, you'll most likely keep the FP for fun flying so it wont be a waste of money.
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Feb 08, 2008, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2008
5 Posts
esky belt cp - rtf for under $200

in all honesty though, if you're coming from a coax id suggest making the jump to fp before cp

the esky hbfp [honey bee fixed pitch] can be yours for around $80 shipped rtf

i went from the lama v3 to the hbfp and so far i havent had any problems, shes a great little bird to learn on

if you crash the hbfp, you can usually pick it up and dust it off

if you crash a cp bird... well, its only time and money right?

my 2c

-jam
jamhamm is offline Find More Posts by jamhamm
Old Feb 08, 2008, 02:07 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
I love the subject line "beginner 3d heli". It's like "driving school racing car"
GAUI EP 200 is one small 3d capable heli I know quite well. You'll need a lot of time to out-grow it (if it ever happens), but then you're jumping in at the deep end.
Honey Bee King for example is more a beginner heli, but people are saying "try to upgrade as little as possible and save the money for a real heli". I had my hands on one today - well, I had to slam the sticks from end to end to get some response - maybe that is more beginner-friendly - but I was really wondering "is that all?" (I know some people do fly amazing tricks even with HBK, but that is, well, exceptional, not the norm).
The bigger, the easier to maintain, the more expensive the spares and batteries. I need 10 LiPos for $16 each and 7 chargers to keep my EP 200 in the air infinitely - try that with a T-Rex 600, it will cost a fortune.

PS: I'm not saying this to spoil anybody the fun with his HB... but the subject was "beginner 3d heli", so the limitations may matter.
gravityKills is offline Find More Posts by gravityKills
Old Feb 08, 2008, 02:31 PM
Unshaven yokel
Portland, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
1,483 Posts
If you want to go straight to CP, a belt is awesome bang for buck. I think there's a good chance that you will destroy it before you've got it trimmed out properly however. I wouldn't consider a CP if you don't have someone to set it up for you for the first time. Chances are, if you try to take off, it'll veer off in a direction, while yawing (spinning) and crash. Mine was horribly off from the get-go, and if I didn't have prior FP experience and training gear on, I would have crashed before I got mine trimmed out.

A Honey Bee FP is still a very good start. I own a honey bee and a belt cp, and I still fly the honey bee more than the belt, since I have to worry less about the honey bee.
sparkysko is offline Find More Posts by sparkysko
Old Feb 08, 2008, 02:56 PM
That whirly guy
Vivian, LA
Joined Jan 2007
830 Posts
RC Helicopters are hard to fly. With the exception of the coaxial type.

Most folks around these forums recommend a fixed pitch helicopter because when you crash it, it usually results in fewer parts getting damaged.

If you are set on a collective pitch helicopter, then I'd suggest getting the biggest one you can afford to crash. The bigger the rotor span, the more stable and accurate the flight model is. Bigger is more dangerous and costs way more for parts.

A good middle of the road helicopter is the 450 class. They don't cost so much to get into and don't cost so much to repair. They are also stable enough for beginners to learn on.

I just recently got a Firefox 100. I thought, my Blade CP pro was hard to handle. The Firefox 100 is more stable in a tuned hover than the CP Pro, but also way more responsive and exacting on carrying out its commands. It's just it's so small, that you have to be ready for it.
Bothersome is offline Find More Posts by Bothersome
Old Feb 08, 2008, 03:22 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothersome
I just recently got a Firefox 100.
BTW, try the EP 100 stretch kit (from flying-hobby.com or infinity-hobby.com, longer boom and blades, about $20).
It should fit to the firefox, and it turns the EP 100 into a completely different heli (I own two, one stretched, the other not, they are like day and night).
Old Feb 08, 2008, 04:14 PM
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
thanks for all the replies.
I have been looking around shops in the UK(where i live), and have not found any honeybee stuff(is honeybee a manufacturer? btw) this may be because they dont have them over here.

I have found a belt CP partially assembled:
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=24010
I do notice a contradiction. at the top of the description, it says "6-ch radio included". at the bottom it says
"Transmitter, receiver, crystal, flight pack and charger" are required to complete it.

what is "radio" referring to? tx or rx. also, where is the ccpm mixing done? the reciever?

there is a GAUI wink pro, with quite a hefty price tag(this is the only GAUI product i can find):
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=22289

if i was buying, which should i go for?
leedude is offline Find More Posts by leedude
Old Feb 08, 2008, 04:17 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
do a google search for the ESky honey bee FP you should be able to find somewhere to order it from.

You probably found a belt cp bare bones, required all radio equipment and battery to be completed.

You really shouldnt get a CP, it's very advanced for a noobie.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 04:31 PM
like a rock!
Finland
Joined Oct 2007
2,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Killer
You really shouldnt get a CP, it's very advanced for a noobie.
Yea, depends what you want. FP is easier to fix, more difficult to fly and you'll grow out of it sooner or later.
CP requires that I do my homework, crashes are more expensive and cost more time, but with a good gyro it flies almost like the helis in the sim.
I started on EP 100, and looking back I don't regret it, but I spent a lot of time figuring things out.

Anyway, here is the EP 200: http://flying-hobby.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3_5_143
I have ordered there many times, and can recommend them (note, holiday until Feb 12th). As said, with this heli you'd be jumping in at the deep end, but it has a lot of potential.
One advantage is as said that batteries are cheap and also most spares are quite affordable. When you can fly this small heli you can fly anything, in other words a bigger heli like HB, Belt, T-Rex 450, Mini-Titan etc gives you a bit more time to think. But in the end it's not about thinking, but reflexes anyway.

PS: The "Wink" is a slightly overpriced GAUI EP 100 SE. Plug in the $20 stretch kit for longer tail & blades, better motor, servos and gyro and you have my favourite heli...
Last edited by gravityKills; Feb 08, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 04:47 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityKills
Yea, depends what you want. FP is easier to fix, more difficult to fly and you'll grow out of it sooner or later.
well, i guess this depends on the person really, there are plenty of us FP owners that keep it around after we've gone to the CP because they are just fun, stress free fliers. Idont think most people out grow them, they just keep em around for a fun flier after the stress of a CP. I also dont know that I agree with the harder to fly statement either, it's a lot easier then that POS BCP I first bought. They are easier to fix if required, they dont usually break when you crash em and if they do, they are easy and cheap to fix, sometimes just a little CA and thred is all that required.

I guess it all comes down to the person learning, I suggest the thread starter come to the honey bee fp thread and ask some questions, then maybe head to the mini forum and ask some people there.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 05:15 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedude
and am confident in my ability to move up to non-coax helis.
So have been many others only to have the reality of a single rotor heli slap them in the face. Other than some orientation skills that transfer over, you will be essentially starting over again when going to a single rotor heli. Single rotor helis are unstable by nature and require continuous stick inputs to hover and perform forward flight.

As the others have recommended, get the stock RTF HBFP and learn on that heli. Your wallet will apprreciate it.

By the way, what's your budget? For under $300 you can buy the HBFP, some spart parts and a high-end simulator, such as Phoenix RC.

HBFP - $80.00
Spare Parts - $25.00 (rotor head sets, flybars, paddle control frames, Ring-like Push-rods, skid sets)
Phoenix RC Simulator - $170

Total - $275.00

You can use the stock HBFP Tx for Phoenix RC. Don't discount the benefits of training on a good simulator. Your wallet will appreciate it, as well.
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Feb 08, 2008, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6 Posts
Hi all,

I just started flying at christmas after spontaniously buying a blade cp+ and haven't had one issue with it. Of coarse i've crashed half a dozen times and spent about $100 on repairs, but at the same time I have learned to completely disassemble and reasemble the head, which I think is good experience.

Had I known more would I have started with a fp? NO WAY

Once you get the hang of simple hovering a weight will lift off your shoulders and your confidence will grow. Just don't get carried away or you will spend ALOT of money like a friend of mine.

I'm sure the more experienced guys know a heck of alot more than I do, but I say go for cp. If you can fly a mini cp then you will have no problems whatsoever when you go for something bigger. Or so the pro's say.
SureToCrash is offline Find More Posts by SureToCrash
Old Feb 08, 2008, 06:15 PM
Unshaven yokel
Portland, Oregon
Joined Oct 2007
1,483 Posts
3 of my friends bought blade cps, crashed them within 5 seconds, threw the pieces in the closet and gave up.
sparkysko is offline Find More Posts by sparkysko
Old Feb 08, 2008, 06:38 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkysko
3 of my friends bought blade cps, crashed them within 5 seconds, threw the pieces in the closet and gave up.
Well, to be honest the first bladecp I bought had a glitch in the 3 in 1 and would start flying without imput if you can believe it. Scared the living hell out of me and the guy at the local hobby shop.

Simply exchange and I was flying within the hour(6 inches of the floor of coarse).

I think I all comes down to what you learned on. If you learned on something very stable and could slam the controls around, a blade cp will feel like junk I would guess.

All I know is that since Dec20th I have learned to hover within a 2ft circle, with a full lippo charge, without setting down and am now practicing tail out hovering.
SureToCrash is offline Find More Posts by SureToCrash