Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2002, 10:43 AM
Bennettsville SC (Gamecock Country)
Joined Nov 2002
103 Posts
Night Flight With Tiger Moth

I Flew my moth again last night with the tennis court lights. Clear sky and no wind. Man was it fun. It was the first time that I had flown it with the wind calm. I got it trimmed just right and really had a good time. I only get a little nervous when making a turn over the lake, but thats part of the fun as well. The Moth is just what you guys said, slow, stable and looks good in the air. I was a little discouraged at first, because the settup was not exactly right. With a good CG now, its nothing but fun. Not to mention my flying skills are getting better.

Burt
Burtsc is offline Find More Posts by Burtsc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2002, 11:31 AM
Balsa addict
Charlotte, Nc
Joined Dec 2002
726 Posts
Night Flight

BurtSC,
I have a navigation light set up on my tiger moth for night flying. it has one green LED, one red LED and a flashing yellow one on the tail. I fly it in the culdesac in front of my house at night. The is plenty of street light, but the little LEDs make an incredible sight floating through the air at about 5 mph. You should give it a try.

-Stefan
ClosetRCModeler is offline Find More Posts by ClosetRCModeler
Old Dec 30, 2002, 11:37 AM
Joined Nov 2002
103 Posts
Yea, I had thought of that. Which lighting system do you use? Who much drain do they put on the batteries?

PS I see you are from Charlotte. Not to far from me. Matter of fact I went threw Charlotte Sunday. Maybe I could get up there sometimes and fly with you guys.

Burt
Old Dec 30, 2002, 07:42 PM
Balsa addict
Charlotte, Nc
Joined Dec 2002
726 Posts
Night Flight

Hey BurtSC,
Check out this thread. I put out a thread to find people in the area.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9&goto=newpost

I use a LED Set up that I made myself. Its a bunch of parts from radio shack soldered together according to a book on small circuits. If your not handy with the soldering iron, you can find them on the net but they are pricy. I built mine with a 555 timer Circuit and a grab bag of LEDs and wires for a few dollars. The drain on the system is way too small to notice when flying. I use Qualcom Lithiums in my TM and I've flown for over 45 Min at work during a lunch break on one charge.

The directions to the feild where we fly is on the thread about sunday flying in charlotte. Ther is one flyer from Colombia who said that he might make the drive up this sunday for our weekly 9:00 am flying sessions.
Here is a picture of the two planes I had up last Sunday.
ClosetRCModeler is offline Find More Posts by ClosetRCModeler
Old Dec 30, 2002, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
Hey Bert, I saw the reply to your question that said Darlington has a good selection of GWS stuff. HobbyTown in Columbia does as well. I am the one that asked for the directions to the flying in Charlotte. Won't be there this Sunday, I'm in the Army and work will have me out of the country for about two weeks, but I will be there (weather permitting) the first Sunday I'm back. Leave a note here if you're ever gonna be in Columbia one afternoon. We have a great field on Ft. Jackson, maybe we could get a few flights in.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Dec 31, 2002, 07:07 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Roger, glad to hear the 'moth is flying better. Knew it had to be something minor.

Flying at night sounds like fun too. For a nice LED lighting system check out www.Curtek.com and do a search for Curtek here (when the search engine starts working again)

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Dec 31, 2002, 08:38 AM
Joined Nov 2002
103 Posts
Uh-Oh, Was having a lot of fun again flying at night. Doing touch and goes on the putting green. Got a little over confidant I guess. You know your depth perception isnt as good at night. Didnt think I was that close to that light pole. But I wacked it good!!!!! Knocked a chunk out of the front and ripped the top wing into two pieces. I found the piece for the front and should be able to epoxy it with no problem. I think I read on here that the best fix for a broken wing is packing tape. Is this true ? Any other Ideas.

Thanks, Burt