HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Spektrum DX6i Review

If there's one thing you need for your radio-controlled plane is, well, a radio. And with the 2.4Ghz revolution in full swing, Napo Monasterio takes the new Spektrum DX6i to the field, tinkers with its new features and puts the system to the test.

Splash

Introduction

Frequency:2.4GHz, DSM2 technology
Programming setups:Aircraft and helicopter
Number of channels:6
Model memories:10 aircraft or helicopters (combined)
Data input and view:Roller selector, grayscale LCD screen
Stick modes:Mode 1 and Mode 2 available
Battery:Four rechargeable AA batteries (included), along with an included wall charger
Weight:1 pound, 9 3/4 ounces
Receiver:Spektrum AR6200 included, but it can use any other Spektrum receiver as well.
Manufacturer:Spektrum
Available From:Horizon Hobby or any Horizon Hobby dealer
Price:$179.99

Over the course of my R/C career I have received my fair share of advice for making it in this hobby. "Be nice to your LiPos and they'll be nice to you," "Measure twice, cut once," and the ever-so-true "Always pack up before taking one more flight." They're all words of wisdom, indeed.

But one of the most important pieces of advice I've ever received was "Get as much radio as you can afford." I didn't go out and buy a switch-ridden, 3,495-memory, 14-channel behemoth. I wish I could have, but I knew better; my choice of planes is small electrics, and there's only so much I need (and there's only so much my wallet can handle, too).

Instead, I went with a Spektrum DX6. It offered just about everything I needed at the time: Six channels, 10 memories (that seemed like a lot at the time, but I quickly gave in to the addiction) and enough features to keep me entertained for a little while. It was — and still is — a fantastic beginner-to-intermediate radio, but it did leave a few things to be desired: A couple of key features were MIA, and there was but one receiver that DX6 users could use.

Now Spektrum has given this pioneer of the 2.4GHz technology a bit of a makeover. It has more switches, more options scattered across its menus and a fancy new look. I've got my DX6 on one hand and the DX6i on the other. Let's see what's new with it, let's see how easy (or hard) it is to program and how it stacks up where it matters most: The flying field.

The contents

Horizon Hobby sent me a review copy of its new system, and it's most-definitely a plug-and-play system. Upon opening the box, here's what I stumbled upon:

• The DX6i transmitter (no surprise here)
  • An AR6200 receiver and its bind plug.
  • Four NiMH AA batteries for the transmitter.
  • Charger for the transmitter.
  • Instruction manual (and a thick one, too). You can find it online here as well.

What you'll need:

• A flying object to put the receiver in.

The features

A transmitter is a transmitter is a transmitter. It converts the movements of your thumbs into a radio signal, which is sent to its receiver, which in turn tells the different electronics to get busy and do their thing or else they'll soon be dangling from a tree. Simple enough.

But beyond sending signals there are options that came make a radio a bit more effective and easier for the pilot, and the DX6i has a healthy amount of them — enough to keep you scrolling, but not enough to drive you insane:

• DSM2 technology. What does that mean? That means that you can use any Spektrum receiver you'd like, from the original AR6000 to the newest AR6300 or any full-range receiver.
  • ModelMatch technology. Have you ever turned up your transmitter and wondered why your elevator moves down when you want it to go up? Me too. Have you ever taken off that way? One time, I almost did, and that would be because I had the transmitter set to the wrong model. With ModelMatch, the receiver won't take any orders from anyone unless it's the right model the receiver is bound to (more on binding later).
  • Helicopter programming menus. I'm not one for rotors and tail servos, but should the addiction ever hit, it's good to know I could use it then. It has gyro adjustments, graphic throttle and pitch curves, too.
  • 10-model memory. They'll fill up fast — believe me.
  • Black-and-white display with roller selector. This is an extremely nice upgrade from the DX6 since it helps a good bit with navigating through the menus. There is plenty of information displayed on the screen, and it's not as cryptic as it was on the previous release. You can also control the contrast.
  • Dual rates and expo adjustments for aileron, elevator and rudder. Another nice touch, since the DX6 didn't have dual rates or expo for rudder — a must-have for any self-respecting 3D pilot.
  • Two channel-mixing menus. You can mix any channel with any other one.
  • Timer. Timer! Timer, I say! Finally, something I really wanted. It works better than looking away from my mode to see how long I've been flying (proven technique, mind you). You can set it to start counting up or count down at the touch of either the trainer or the throttle-cut switch. Unfortunately, you can't set to start once you hit the throttle, though. Still... a timer! Timer, I say!
  • Flap settings.
  • Delta-wing, V-tail and dual-aileron settings. The dual-aileron setup is a particularly nice improvement, and it makes adjusting them a lot better. It was doable with the DX6 sure, but it was a bit more complicated.

Viva la evolucion!

The DX6i is not just about function, for it also sports a new look. It's a little more svelte both in weight and size, and it does look quite different than its patriarch.

For a bit of JR/Spektrum trivia, you should know that the DX6 is simply a JR662 without the long metal stick poking out of one end and without the rest of 72mHz guts. Other than that, they're genetic twins. Coincidentally, I happen to be the owner of such a relic. Check out how eerily similar they are, and see how different they are compared to the new kid in the block.

I could rant on and on about where which button is and what it does. However, I'll just let the following infographic tell the story.

Most of the switches and buttons are in their usual locations, so getting used to the radio shouldn't be that hard. The only new trinkets are the rudder dual-rates switch (top right) and the trainer switch (top left) which replaces the trainer button on the DX6/JR662. For the most part, nothing else has moved.

One thing you'll soon notice (and you may hate it, for all I know) is that the ratcheting on the throttle stick has disappeared. Presumable this is partly because this radio made its debut as part of the new Blade CP 400 3D helicopter package, and we all know that ratchets and helis are not the best of buddies.

This is my first ratchetless radio, and I must admit that it feels weird. It takes some getting used to it, but feels natural after a while. I admit it may be better in the long run for 3D airplane flying; just like helicopters need precise throttle control for hovering, so do airplanes benefit from minute changes in throttle (especially with a high-end speed controller on the receiving end).

Binding

Here's the nitty-gritty of 2.4GHz technology: One transmitter, one receiver, one signal. It's that simple. The receiver will only process the information sent from your transmitter.

So, whereas someone could turn your channel-55-equipped, finely detailed plane into balsa confetti by simply turning on their channel-55-equipped transmitter while you're flying, that technically won't happen with a 2.4GHz system. If someone turns on their 2.4GHz transmitter, it won't send any sort of signal to your receiver.

SO MANY CHOICES....

There are plenty of options when it comes to receivers for the DX6i. Not as many with 72mHz, but still a good number of them. All of them of course have to be Spektrum receivers, and some of them are more than you need, but you can technically use any and all of the range of receivers that Spektrum has to offer. Here they are:

• AR6000: This the original Spektrum receiver and the only one that works with the DX6. It weighs 7 grams, is reliable and has six channels. I've used it for part of this review.
  • AR6100: This may be the most popular of all the Spektrum receivers because of its size and weight (a scant 3.5 grams), its DSM2 technology, and you can fit it in many indoor models without any weight penalty.
  • AR6100 with end-pins: Same as the AR6100 but with the pins rotated 90 degrees — a welcome addition for getting everything to fit in tight quarters.
  • AR6200: This is the receiver that comes with the DX6i, and it happens to be a full-range receiver too. it has the extra receiver for added reception, but it also is six-channel. It's not too heavy, tipping the scales at 10 grams.
  • AR6300: If gram-counting is your kind of thing, then this is for you: A tiny 2-gram receiver, mainly made for indoor models. It does require three-pin micro JST leads for its servos though, so you can't hook it up to regular electronics (at least without some modification).
  • AR7000: A seven-channel receiver (more channels than the DX6i has, actually), but it's full-range. And just like the AR6200, it has two receivers in one for added reception.
  • AR7100R: Essentially it's the same as the AR7000, but it is designed for helicopters, and it includes a RevLimit RPM limiter which, according to Spektrum, "provides the consistent rotor speed needed for outstanding 3D performance." It is hefty at 32 grams, however.
  • AR9000: The same thing as the AR6200 and the AR7000, but featuring a whopping nine channels. Again, there's technically no use for it with your DX6i.
  • AR9100: Much like the AR9000, but super-sized in the current-draw department to accommodate higher-torque servos and other electronics. If you're planning on going large-scale or even flying turbines, this may be your go-to gadget. It even includes three remote receivers which should provide ample flight insurance.

Now, how do you get to the "one transmitter, one receiver, one signal"? By binding the receiver to your transmitter. All you do is:

• Insert the included bind plug to the battery channel on the receiver.
  • Power up the receiver (a light should be blinking now).
  • Press the trainer switch while turning the radio on.
  • Wait for it to bind and then let go of the trainer switch.
  • Remove the bind plug from the receiver before turning the power off from it.

You're good to go. Since this is a ModelMatch-equipped radio, your receiver will only receive a signal from your transmitter when it has the right model selected.

But what if you're cheap like me? What if you can't afford a handful of receivers and you're playing musical airframes with them? The answer is simple: Yes, you can bind and rebind and swap receivers as much as you like. You can still keep your model settings on your transmitter, and all you have to do is rebind the receiver to the model memory you want to fly with that particular time. It defeats the purpose of ModelMatch, but it will keep you from having to answer difficult questions from your credit-card company.

The menu maze

Just like with any piece of electronics, there are essentially two kinds of screens: The ones that should come with a built-in magnifying glass and a acronym-to-English translator, and the ones that are easy to read and actually display the items in plain terms.

I'm pleased to report that the DX6i falls under the latter category. Other than in a few submenus where acronyms are used (INH for "inhibit," ACT for "activate" or perhaps "active," and a couple of other things here and there), the menus all use full words and no abbreviations — who'd've thunken, eh?

Let's start slowly here, with a simple three-channel plane: The Stevens Aeromodel DiddleRod (three channels, endless fun). I'll be using an Spektrum AR6100 receiver (provided by Horizon Hobby for testing purposes).

Next up for an upgrade: The MSComposit Swift II flying wing (which I have reviewed here). I'll be using an Spektrum AR6000 receiver from my previous arsenal of DX6 radio gear. Here I'll be showing how to set up a delta-wing setup — ailerons and elevons acting together in aerodynamic harmony.

A couple of things I noticed about this setup were pleasant surprises:

• When I set it up with the delta-wing programming, I was then able to trim the "aileron" controls with the aileron trim function, and same thing for the "elevator" control. I.e., if I saw that the wing was not going fully straight but rather a bit to the right, I could just trim it with the aileron trim function and it would adjust both servos, not just one — and the same thing for the elevator. Why do I care? Because with a DX6, if you hit the aileron or elevator trim, it would only move one servo, so trimming was a bit convoluted in the air.
  • ModelMatch technology is not just for DSM2 receivers: It also works on an AR6000 receiver.

Here's a video of how I set up the included AR6200 receiver on my Cermark Edge 540 (coming soon to a Ezone Web page near you) showing from start to finish how a plane is set up and how dual-aileron servos are set up.

Downloads

The DX6i has already made its way to an E-flite Extra 260 3D profile plane on which I also used a AR6100. I set it up with the dual-servo aileron mixing, and it was a similar process as with the Edge 540. The only problem which led to some confusion was that I needed to trim the left aileron. You will accomplish by trimming the flap channel, and you may have to do the same thing for the travel rates in such channel and so on and so forth.

The aileron setup has seen quite an improvement, but it's still not perfect — I wish Icould trim the left and right ailerons as what they are and not have to go through another channel. But, all in all, it is light years better than the DX6 setup where I would often just give up and use a y-harness instead.

Out on the field

Let's face it: This chunk of radio goodness does not belong in the workbench nor in the studio, so let's go out to the field and see how it performs.

Getting the feel for it

Frankly, there is not much of a difference in how the DX6i feels in your hands. Size-wise, it's almost identical. Weight-wise, it's only lighter by half an ounce or so. It does have a bit more or an ergonomic grip to it.

The area where you'll see a big change is in the balancing. The DX6, since it was a quick rehash of the JR662 (i.e., same radio, no long antenna), tended to fall back toward you because it was out of balance. And, from what I have read, the same thing happens with the DX7 to the point that Spektrum even released a balancing adaptor gadget for it. There are perils to an out-of-balance transmitter: Should it be hanging from your neck and fall back toward your chest, you could accidentally hit the throttle and you'd be waving your precious aircraft bye-bye (or yelling "fore!" at those behind the flight line).

It's nice to see that the new DX6i design is nicely balanced. I hung it from my trusty neck strap, and it lays perfectly parallel to the ground. A small adjustment, but one for which I am much obliged.

When it comes to wiggling the sticks, things are just as you'd expect, and there is no special experience to report. The sticks may be a tad too soft for your test, but you can easily tighten the springs by removing the back of the transmitter. And besides, who doesn't like looking at the innards of a cool piece of electronics?

The several other switches are easily accessible and function just like any other switch. Since I'm one for efficiency, I appreciate that there's a new dual-rates combination option so that you can assign one switch to turn on or off whatever combination of dual-rates settings you'd like. I'd rather do click than click-click-click, and a flip on the rudder switch is my favorite way to go about it.

Response time from transmitter to receiver seems to be quick. I've tried it with anything from slow-flyers to flying wings and acrobatic planes, and it's nice and responsive with all of them. Frankly, it's nothing different from the DX6 or even my 72mHz systems, but at least I can't tell a big difference for the worse.

The battery life

I'll go ahead and say it out loud: Battery life on the DX6 is awful. Has battery life improved for this transmitter? A big-time yes. A "rock on!" yes, indeed.

At the Monasterio Electric Aerospace Institute and Crash Test Facility© (motto: "Electrons Rule, Yet Gravity Always Laughs Last"©), I put these four rechargeable AAs to my grueling test, and this is what I found:

• I charged the DX6i like I always do: overnight. Full-charge voltage was 5.5V.
  • I set up a couple of planes on it, recorded the video and took some pictures of the process. Total time: 30-40 minutes.
  • I took the radio and some of the aircraft to the field for about 1.5 hours of R&R.
  • I tinkered with it some more at the workshop, for about 20 minutes or so.

By that time, the voltage had gone from 5.5V to between 5 and 5.1V — not too bad for 2.5 to 3 hours of operation.

I decided I would see how much longer it could stay on. After all, at one point or another all of us have pleaded guilty to inadvertently leaving it on for long periods of time. So, I did — only on purpose. And here are the results:

• Sunday night, 8:45 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. (roughly two hours): Started at 5.1V, ended at 5V.
  • Monday morning, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (3.5 hours): Started at 5V, ended at 4.9V.

The verdict: Battery life is amazing. You could technically fly for some 6 to 7 hours on one charge without a problem, and that's something to smile about.

And, of course, if you happen to run out of batteries, you can always pop in some AAs from the gas station down the road.

I'll be honest: I was a bit skeptical about not having a "transmitter pack" for it (I guess I'm used to them, and upgrading to a LiPo pack is always an option), but this is a more than fair tradeoff, and it works better than what I expected.

Is This For a Beginner?

If you ask me, I'd say yes. It's relatively inexpensive, it has plenty of features, you'll be able to grow with it as you get more planes, and it's easy to use. But it's also a beginner's radio because it still is limited in the number of features it has. For the most part they're plenty for me, but an experienced flyer (or a sailplane pilot) might want or need some more. For less than $200, you get a lot of bang for your buck, and it is a radio you can keep using for most any plane.

Conclusion

Slowly but surely, more and more planes for my growing fleet are making the transition to their new 2.4GHz boss. For the most part, they're either planes than require small receivers (AR6100 and the like) or fully acrobatic ones that need that extra setting here and there.

I have been pleased with how this Spektrum release performs. It may not have all the bells and whistles of a DX7 or a JR12X, but it does most of what I need it to do, and it does so without a glitch — literally.

If I were a beginner and wanted to get in the hobby on a budget, I would likely look no further. I didn't look any further with my DX6 more than a year ago, and I found it to be the right thing to do. if I were in the same situation today, I'd pick the DX6i in a heartbeat.

And, while the DX6 felt a bit like a rushed-in rehash of the JR662, this radio has been upgraded from scratch to truly make it its own model. It feels good in my hands, the menus and big LCD screen have been much-improved, and it's a fine specimen all-around.

Summing it up: To use a bad pun in the world of R/C transmitters... Two thumbs up!

Cheers:

• Overall, a great radio setup — unsurprisingly reliable spread-spectrum technology.
  • It's a whole new transmitter, not a repackaging or upgrade of an old one. And, from both form and function, it shows. The large screen with a rolling selector is superb, too.
  • Enough features (including new ones from its predecessor) to handle any parkflyer and then some, but not too many that the menus become labyrinths.
  • Programming is easy and, for the most part, foolproof.
  • Addition of dual rates and expo settings for the rudder is a much-welcome option.
  • The simple timer feature also is a nice touch.
  • Battery life is phenomenal.
  • Fantastic value.

Jeers:

• Programming is not quite there yet, though: The dual-aileron setup could see a bit of improvement (though it has improved a good bit, mind you)
  • You can't turn the timer on with the throttle stick.
  • Ten-model memory is still a bit skimpy — why not bump it up to 15? Or, if I'm going to be wishing for stuff, I might as well dream big: Why can't all radios just have a simple SD card or USB drive port?
  • Odd choice of receiver for the radio package. Don't get me wrong: The AR6200 is a great receiver, but why not include an AR6100, which is both cheaper and more versatile for the kinds of aircraft this radio was meant for (beginner and parkflyer models, not full-range aircraft).
  • Just like there are several packages for the DX7, with different servos and receivers and such, I'd like to see several retail packages for the DX6i.

Neither cheer nor jeer:

• It's a ratchet-less radio, which feels weird indeed — but I'm getting used to it slowly but surely.
Last edited by Angela H; Oct 13, 2008 at 03:49 PM..

Discussion

Old Sep 07, 2008, 07:51 PM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,824 Posts
great review!! i'm going to have to definetly think about grabbing this radio and joining the spektrum bandwagon
heligrom is offline Find More Posts by heligrom
Old Sep 07, 2008, 08:06 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2005
26 Posts
Nice review. I have a Dx6i and I like it a lot. Not perfect but a lot of value for the $. I do agree that the included Rx choice is strange. The 6100 seems like the best match for the Dx6i.
SammyWI is offline Find More Posts by SammyWI
Old Sep 07, 2008, 08:22 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,352 Posts
Nice thorough write up - I enjoyed reading it!
Having done many of this type writeups for magazines - and having read many more, -It pleasing to see one done this well.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 07, 2008, 08:38 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,709 Posts
Thanks for covering the various receiver options in the sidebar, as well as the functionality of the transmitter, and the changes from the DX6. Perfect.

I don't quite understand what you are talking about with regard to the "old" DX6 and dual aileron or delta trimming issues. I have one plane -- a Lynx XF -- with the ailerons plugged into two separate channels (instead of using a Y cable), which I implemented as per the DX6 instructions for "flaperons." I also have a plane -- a GWS-15 -- with tailerons and no ailerons that uses the delta configuration. I haven't had any trim issues with either of those planes...I have been operating under the assumption that the pitch trim control still operates as pitch trim, and the roll trim control still operates as roll trim, and that seems to have worked fine. Should it not have?

I agree wholeheartedly with the "jeer" re: still only 10 model memories. Horizon couldn't possibly have their head-in-the-sand so deeply as to not be aware of how much every RC'er wants more model memories than that!...I'm sure they know this only too well. And as cheap as memory is these days, and as simple as the programming code change would be to implement more memories, this has to be motivated by "planned obsolescence." Which is to say, in a year or so, I see them coming out with a "DX6-j" (or whatever) that has 20 model memories, and a few other tweaks, and they'll hope everybody will feel the need to upgrade their DX6i boxes.

It may even be built into the unit already. Years ago, I bought a scanner that had something like 200 memories (frequency presets). Then I found out in a magazine that by a simple modification -- clipping a diode -- I could implement 400 memories (which I did, following the instructions in the magazine!). Sure enough, the following year, I noticed that the successor to my particular model of scanner had 400 memories. They had pre-engineered the original circuit board of the unit with the "upgraded" model capability already implemented in advance with just a small change required on the assembly line (omit that diode).

But I'm sure no manufacturer in the RC hobby would do something like that...naaaah!
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Sep 07, 2008, 08:40 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Thanks folks, I appreciate all the kind words!

Heligrom: Yes, this is a nice way to get started with the 2.4Ghz stuff. I recently saw that they're coming out with a five-channel one, but it doesn't have any memories and barely any features, and it's $100. This is a lot of bang for the buck, and it will last you a while.

SammyWI: Yeah, it frankly baffles me why the AR6200 is included. It's a great receiver, sure, but I like the versatility and performance of the AR6100. But hey, it's a full-range radio, so it might as well have a full-range receiver.

Richard: Glad you liked it! I enjoy writing them, and it's simply a pleasure to put them together. I hope it shows.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Sep 07, 2008, 08:49 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Herk,

Glad you enjoyed it!

I don't know, I've had plenty of issues with the DX6 going crazy on me with dual ailerons and the like. I'd have to trim each one of them separately. I've had to adjust the flap channel in weird configurations. I've had to do a lot of weird stuff, and sometimes I've resigned myself to use a y-harness instead.

On my slope soarer, for example, if I trimmed the "aileron," it would only trim one elevon. Same thing for the "elevator." So, often, I'd just land it, trim both surfaces on the ground and toss it again.

That said, it's a lot better on this radio -- albeit not perfect. But much, much better.

The memory deal is just what it is, I guess. You pay exponentially more for it, and the higher-end models have more memories, or unlimited ones. And, frankly, it's not just Horizon/Spektrum who's doing it. All radio manufacturers do it. It's a high-priced commodity, that's for sure.
Old Sep 07, 2008, 08:58 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
This is a great radio!!! I got mine with my B400 and it came with "AA" batteries. I bought it right after X-mas and I'm still at 5.7 volts! Its a very efficiant radio.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Sep 07, 2008, 09:08 PM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Another great review! Isn't a rachet-type spring planned for the throttle stick?
Sisyphus is offline Find More Posts by Sisyphus
Old Sep 07, 2008, 09:28 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus
Another great review! Isn't a rachet-type spring planned for the throttle stick?
Thanks Sisyphus!

I don't know -- I haven't heard about that. Is it?
Old Sep 07, 2008, 10:33 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Nice review! Have had mine for several months and it hasn't missed a beat yet. First transmitter I've had with the `Gut-cut' design - fits perfectly!
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Sep 07, 2008, 10:51 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Thanks for the great review - your writing style made a potentially deadly-dull subject quite interesting.

I think I will be saying bye-bye to my 72 MHz Futaba pretty soon...

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Sep 08, 2008, 12:53 AM
myp
Joined Oct 2007
1,103 Posts
One of those orange buttons at the bottom of the DX6 died on me and so I went out and bought a DX6i as a replacement. Prior to that, I opened up the DX6 to see if I could do anything about it. Well, I could probably replace the button if I could find out where to buy one. Otherwise, I will send it in and see how much Horizon charges (I have the DX6 for 13 months). But the surprise that I had after opening the case was that the main 2.4G circut board says DX7! Perhaps that the reason nobody could see a difference in range between the DX6 and DX7.

Like others who had the AR6000, it took a while to bind the DX6i to the AR6000. A couple of times, it just lost the bind. From now on, I will bring a binding plug to the flying field with me. Also, I found that I had to keep the transmitter almost 10 feet away before the AR6000 would recognize a good signal from the DX6i at power on.

Since I had a bad "orange" button on the DX6 only after a year, I am now worried about the roller-button on the DX6i.
myp is offline Find More Posts by myp
Old Sep 08, 2008, 06:43 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
Excellent review Napo. I have a new Dx5e with the AR500 that is a step or two below the DX6 but I appreciate the detail with the binding process. Great text. Your journalistic professionalism is wonderful.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2008, 11:04 AM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
[QUOTE=Spackles94]Thanks Sisyphus!

Napo, I thought this was posted somewhere, but maybe not.

Maybe the DX 7 ratchet can be used.

I'll call Horizon and ask, then post the outcome.

UPDATE: Horizon support advises there is a "spring" available to make this more airplane-like on the throttle side. You can send it in for replacement.
Sisyphus is offline Find More Posts by Sisyphus
Last edited by Sisyphus; Sep 08, 2008 at 11:23 AM.