HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2008, 09:34 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,770 Posts
Discussion
Lama 3 Flybar, How light can you go??

My Lama 3 is flying great with Xtreme blades, Longer shaft and the pitch pushrod moved out 1 hole on the servo control arm. Im going to cut off a stock flybar and wonder if the weight collars from my HoneyBee flybar would be enough weight for the shortened Lama 3 flybar...That should work , shouldnt it???
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2008, 09:38 PM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
231 Posts
You can take the weights completely off - just use the rubber ends as weights. I've done that with my Robins - flies much more responsively. Give it a try.
AltonMan is offline Find More Posts by AltonMan
Old Feb 07, 2008, 09:47 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,770 Posts
Cool, If I cut the bar at the weights that will leave 7"..Is that good. I think I will lock those little collars on at first. They dont weigh much
Old Feb 07, 2008, 10:36 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2008
155 Posts
most of the aftermarket or performance flybars are 7" total length.

Check out this thread....a lot of good info and pics on flybar mods
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810414
starrman is offline Find More Posts by starrman
Old Feb 08, 2008, 07:28 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
James, I've not lessened the weight but just as an experiment a couple of weeks ago, I removed the caps and weights and carefully cut the "hooks" off. I then carefully bent two more "hooks" and reinstalled the caps and weights. This has all but ended blade strikes. And as you say, it came out to just a tad over 7". I'm considering cutting one of the weights in half and trying that as total weight - just havent gotten around to it.

Rodney
rodneygt is offline Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Feb 08, 2008, 08:38 AM
Oak Grove, Ky
Joined Jun 2007
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesppp
My Lama 3 is flying great with Xtreme blades, Longer shaft and the pitch pushrod moved out 1 hole on the servo control arm. Im going to cut off a stock flybar and wonder if the weight collars from my HoneyBee flybar would be enough weight for the shortened Lama 3 flybar...That should work , shouldnt it???
If you're considering using the flybar weights from a Honeybee fixed-pitch, I've had very good results with that setup on a Lama3.
rmonster is offline Find More Posts by rmonster
Old Feb 08, 2008, 10:16 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonster
If you're considering using the flybar weights from a Honeybee fixed-pitch, I've had very good results with that setup on a Lama3.

Yep, that is what I did. Used the little wheel collars with set screws that I took off my HoneyBee. They dont weigh much at all....came out 1 hole farther on the elevator(pitch) servo arm and this thing will actually fly forward pretty fast.
A little gust of wind will still catch it just right when it banked or in a nose down attitude in relatily fast forward flight and take it away from you.All you can do is pull back the right stick and hold on. If it pops the nose up and you can apply throttle quickly enough(if you have any altitude left) it might pull out. At least it doesnt break the xtreme blades when it plows in if it doesnt pull out. When this happens it seems to speed up and feels like a radio glitch but it is the wind....I still have a virgin V-3 for a spare if this one ever doesnt make it.I fly my Lama to calm my nerves before trying the new HoneyBee which I am basically hopping around and hovering 20-30 seconds at a time..Lot harder than coaxials but seemed to start coming together for me tonight right at dark thirty..lol