SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2008, 08:30 PM
Joined Dec 2007
84 Posts
Discussion
DX6i & Hobbyzone Supercub

I have a DX6i and a Hobbyzone Supercub. Is it possible to program the DX6i to fly the Supercub? Thanks.
primetime34 is offline Find More Posts by primetime34
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2008, 08:56 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Sure! You will need to replace the stock SC receiver with a receiver that works with the DX6i. But, since the Super Cub's electronics aren't good, you will also need to replace the servos and the ESC in order for everything to work with your new Spektrum receiver.
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Feb 07, 2008, 09:57 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Like BD said, it can be done very easily, but you'll have to gut the plane, and spend about $100 for the rx, ESC and servo's...although Hobby City can save you cash on the ESC and servo's if you don't mind the wait. I think you can get by with a 20 amp ESC.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Feb 07, 2008, 10:43 PM
Joined Dec 2007
84 Posts
So it won't work by default? That's kind of sad. Is it worth putting $100 more into the Supercub?
Old Feb 07, 2008, 11:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
That's for you to decide. Realistically, if you are going to spend that much effort, you could add ailerons, too. Do you enjoy the plane enough to spend more on it or is it time to spend the money on a different one?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 07, 2008, 11:25 PM
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime34
So it won't work by default? That's kind of sad. Is it worth putting $100 more into the Supercub?
The ESC, and radio are all in one with the Cub, and the servo's are 5 wire, so they only work with each other.

In the end, it's up to you and if you feel it's worth it. Do you enjoy the plane enough to invest that much in it? I upgraded my Cub...gutted everything except the gear box....cheap brushless motor, ESC and servo's ($50) from Hobby City, and of coarse the receiver, AR6000. It's my relax plane for those lazy days when I want to fly and not put too thinking into it.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 05:28 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,264 Posts
Quote:
I did w/ my S.C. and lost 5ozs.in the change over to brushless,li-po combo...RTR
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Feb 08, 2008, 04:19 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Sample the HZ SuperCub threads to see what happens with that plane. Nobody seems bored! I'ts a durable, easy to fix, versatile plane that can teach you a lot including making mods and different flying.

On first preflight of my new SC the controls started acting funny. (always preflight!) With wing off there was a faint crackling sound in the cabin as servos were dancing. Apparently the Rx/esc unit fried itslelf and died . Hobby Zone sent me a replacement fast (their support is really good).

Hopefully as stock it will help me learn basic flying (when the xxx xxxx wind quits), but when I can afford it I'm getting a Spectrum Dx, etc and replace everything in the plane. I intend to get two more wings and add ailerons, one with stock dihedral and one flat, and I expect that durable plane will still be great fun and teach me a lot. Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Feb 08, 2008, 10:31 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Same here, I just got the SC fuse, tail feathers, cowl, wing and LG separate at a LHS. So many guys fly mods of HZ SC's here, they fly great even totally stock, so with AUW a bit less and more power and flight time w/ a BL motor and lipo it will be easier to improve flying skills and touch and goes.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Feb 08, 2008, 11:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
84 Posts
So can anybody point me in the direction of the EXACT items I would need to mod this and use my DX6i with my Super Cub? Thanks.
Old Feb 09, 2008, 12:03 AM
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Quote:
So can anybody point me in the direction of the EXACT items I would need to mod this and use my DX6i with my Super Cub? Thanks.
1 Pixie 20 amp ESC, 2 HS-55 or HS-81 servos and 1 AR6000 rx. If you want ailrons on the wing, 2 more HS-55, 2 servo extentions and a servo Y connector.
Old Feb 09, 2008, 01:13 AM
Rock Rapids IA
Joined Jan 2007
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmd_man
1 Pixie 20 amp ESC, 2 HS-55 or HS-81 servos and 1 AR6000 rx. If you want ailrons on the wing, 2 more HS-55, 2 servo extentions and a servo Y connector.
and a $20 wing from your lhs to hack on for this. On the flip side your new supercub would be incredibly agile and have the potential for greater things like easier AP
michaelb323 is offline Find More Posts by michaelb323
Last edited by michaelb323; Feb 09, 2008 at 01:14 AM. Reason: spelling :eek
Old Feb 09, 2008, 01:32 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Lookup a member know as BigTonE as he flys his Super Cub with the DX6 and cooresponding Spektrum RX and still flys with the STOCK Brushed 480 motor by using a quality Brushed ESC as a separate item and 3-wire servos.

He has programmed his DX6 into some aileron and rudder cordination and his "Aileron" Super cub makes for the best inverted Flat Spins ever!!!

Here's a few pictures of his model....I took these pictures Friday morning!

Also, he uses the GWS Slow Flyer 10 X 8 propeller for added performance as he has tried countless others and he likes this one above all.

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Feb 09, 2008, 06:12 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Thanks, Carlos. Us guys with little or no SuperCub flying experience so far (sim is great but it ain't real) are already plotting what to do next with it. Looks like your friend's strut mods are classic RC building. Simple, cheap, easy, light and they work. Nice to hear about using HZSC stock 480 motor and gearbox with new esc that fits with it. My plan is to keep same motor function and try wing and aileron mods as I learn to fly.

Like others, I'm eventually gonna get a couple more $20 SC wings and do ailerons. The ailerons on your friend's SC have more area than what most guys do (they say 10" by 1.5"), but my main question, does it still have dihedral in the wing or did he flatten it with hairdryer/wgt or other method? Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Feb 09, 2008, 09:42 PM
Rock Rapids IA
Joined Jan 2007
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt
Thanks, Carlos. Us guys with little or no SuperCub flying experience so far (sim is great but it ain't real) are already plotting what to do next with it. Looks like your friend's strut mods are classic RC building. Simple, cheap, easy, light and they work. Nice to hear about using HZSC stock 480 motor and gearbox with new esc that fits with it. My plan is to keep same motor function and try wing and aileron mods as I learn to fly.

Like others, I'm eventually gonna get a couple more $20 SC wings and do ailerons. The ailerons on your friend's SC have more area than what most guys do (they say 10" by 1.5"), but my main question, does it still have dihedral in the wing or did he flatten it with hairdryer/wgt or other method? Icky

WHen you crash, save the crap left over, its a great chance to screw around with dumb ideas. I made a flying wing that lasted about 3 seconds with a chipped sc wing.
michaelb323 is offline Find More Posts by michaelb323