SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2008, 01:06 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Build Log
CMP/Nitroplanes 50 size Cessna 182 Skylane

After searching around, I haven't found a thread on the 50 size version of the CMP/Nitroplanes Cessna 182 Skylane, so I thought I'd start one. There is an electric conversion thread here on RCG, but this one will be fuel.

I had a spare .46 motor laying around, and came across this ARF, and was amazed at how nice it looked. A club member has the bigger one, and I was impressed at the quality for the price. Now, this is not my first CMP plane, so I am familiar with their shortcomings, but I ordered one up anyway. When it arrived, I was pleased to find it was as nice as the larger 182, and much nicer than the other CMP ARF I built.

The covering was well applied and tight, the paintwork on the fiberglass fuselage is excellent. The cowl is 'glass, and nicely finished. Anyway, on to the build...

Here's a few shots of the parts out of the box:

You'll note in the above photo the Robart style hinges, and the "horny hinges" with the control horn integrated. I wasn't totally exited about the quality of these parts, but given the nature of this plane's flight envelope, I figure they'll be OK. I did switch out the control arm components on the servo end for Sullivan's, which I soldered on.

The servo mounts/covers need to be painted, as they come out of the box with a purplish/pink tint...yuk! Everything fit together well, and bolted up nicely. BTW, the trailing edge has a nice scale hinge point.

For now, I've got the ailerons and flaps hinged, and servos installed.

More to come...

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's flying this plane as far as CG or any issues with construction.
Rodan is offline Find More Posts by Rodan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:12 PM
Derek94
Joined Feb 2008
1 Posts
Question

i just finished building my cessna 182 47 from CMP and just had a first flight, the flight did not goes as well as i hoped it would. the plane was throwing its self around...
i checked everything

it might be a dumb question but what do you think could have gon wrong?
Derek94 is offline Find More Posts by Derek94
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:31 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Could you describe "throwing itself around" a little more specifically?

Could be a lot of things from CG to loose control surfaces, to... I'd need a little more detail for an accurate diagnosis.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:07 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,992 Posts
Rodan: Nice build thread so far and excellent photos. I will be watching this build!

Quote:
There is an electric conversion thread here on RCG, but this one will be fuel.
Thank goodness!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:44 AM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Thanks!

I haven't made too much progress in the last few days. Between some maintenance to keep other stuff airworthy, a scale heli project, and actually getting in some flying I just didn't have enough hours in the day.

I did get the stab installed, and the elevator halves and rudder hinged. I'll try to get some more pics up later, going flying again this morning...
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:28 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Finally made some headway today...

First, here's a couple shots of the tail feathers in place:

The only problem I encountered here was the bottom of the rudder interfered with the fuselage at the front. If the hinge points had been left up to me, I could have compensated, but since they are pre-cut, I ended up sanding the bottom of the rudder (mostly toward the leading edge) about 3/16" and recovering the bottom. This pic shows the area in question in the circle:

Next came the main gear. The struts are laminated ply, glassed and painted. They seem pretty stout, but I would prefer aluminum, I think. They slide in, and then you drill two holes in each. Blind nuts are installed on the inside, and allen bolts go through from the outside:

The wheels and pants go together easily. A humorous note is that the gear is marked "L" and "R", but the L & R refer to the position of the gear when looking at the belly of the plane, so the Left is actually the Right and vice versa...
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:33 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
I continued on with the nose gear. I'm sure the nose gear wire is going to fold in a dorked landing, but went with it anyway. Only one bitch here... the brass nut that secures the nosewheel steering stripped the second I put a little torque to the grub screw.

I redrilled the nut on the other side and tapped it for 6-32, which worked fine. Sitting on the gear (sort of...tail is propped up):

Couple more with the wing laid on:

Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:39 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Last project for the day was mounting up the engine. I followed the instructions here, with the length set at 133mm from the cowl to the prop mounting surface, no side thrust, and vertical adjustment to allow 2* down thrust. Installing the blind nuts in the firewall was a cast iron PITA

I got everything bolted up and epoxied, then started on aligning the cowl. I had no problem getting the hole for the cylinder head sorted, but screwed up the hole for the main needle. I'll have to do a little repair there... Pics:

I still have a little more to do to get the alignment just right, but it's about there. I ended up with more gap from the cowl to the spinner than I would have liked, so 130mm would have been better, but I can live with it...
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:54 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Got the servos for rudder, elevator and throttle installed this morning, and started working on the fiberglass rods and linkages. I need to get the pin vise out to drill two more holes for the throttle servo screws, as the locations are not accessible with a regular drill.

I don't think it's going to be ready for a maiden this weekend, but I'm still going to try...
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:37 PM
Joined May 2004
126 Posts
Thanks for starting a glow thread for a glow designed plane. Im about to order one, how do you think a os fl 70 would pair up with this? Also, what servos are you using, standards i would suppose. Futaba 3004s?
Foamyfoam is offline Find More Posts by Foamyfoam
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:54 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
I'm using kind of a hodgepodge of servos, as this was just a quick fun project to use some stuff I had lying around. I had some JR DS537s, and I'm using those on the elevator, rudder and throttle. I'm using HiTec HS-322HDs on the ailerons and flaps. With the expected flight envelope for this plane, high end stuff isn't really necessary.

A four stroke 70 ought to haul this thing around OK as long as you're not trying to do anything ridiculous with it. I'm using an OS .46, and I certainly don't expect it to be overpowered, but it should fly scale without any issues. I'll know more when I have an AUW...
Old Feb 14, 2008, 04:32 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Made some more progress today. I'll try to post up some pics tomorrow.

I decided to use the included fiberglass rods for the elevator and rudder linkages, but replaced the wire with better quality 2-56 bits and Sullivan's clasps. Everything went together and lined up reasonably well. I'm debating adding a support mid-run, but it will be difficult as the movement of the rods is not quite linear along their axis. As a result, a support will only provide something to vibrate against, and won't really provide a great deal of support.

I installed the included fuel tank, with better quality tubing. I also added a fueler valve on the port side. It's attached to the firewall and will be accessible through the cowl. The fuse has a nice cutout molded on the bottom for the stock muffler, and it fits perfectly. Unfortunately, it requires significant cutting of the front of the cowl, so I will be using a Pitts muffler, which I need to pick up.

Radio and battery went under the rear of the fuel tank and forward of the servos. I added an external switch and charge port on the port side.

At this point all that is really left is installing the linkages for the throttle and nose wheel steering, and installing the wing. I did the bathroom scale test, and holding the wing and fuselage, it weighs 7 lbs without cowl, prop, windows and some misc. hardware (wing, cowl, etc.). I'm guessing AUW (dry) will be between 7.5 and 8lbs, assuming balancing is not a major issue.

Anyway, more pics tomorrow, and hopefully wrapping it up. Still planning for a maiden flight this weekend, depending on weather and other imponderables...
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:21 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Some pics from yesterday's progress:

The fiberglass tube linkages

Servo connections

Motor in place with stock muffler, which would require trimming more of the cowl away in the front

Switch and charge jack

This morning I got the linkages for the throttle and nose wheel in place, installed the pitts muffler, and pretty much finished everything up. The plane weighs 7lbs before balancing.

An initial run at the balancer shows it needing 14oz at the firewall to achieve a CG at 65mm, which is the forward end of the recommended CG range. I'll try to get the weight installed in the morning, then all that's left is setting the throws...

One last pic (still has the tape on the windows as the glue is not yet dry)

Looking good for a maiden on Sunday, assuming the weather clears out (snowing at the moment).
Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:17 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Took 14oz of lead behind the firewall to balance at 68mm, the forward end of the recommended range.

Total weight dry is 8 lbs.

Throws are set, everything's ready to go.

Flight report tomorrow....
Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:54 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,992 Posts
Rodan, this has been an awesome build thread! You did a nice job on clearancing the rudder. I can't believe they use a brass grub screw! The one thing I don't like about the fuselage is the molded cutout for a two stroke muffler. This assumes everyone will be using a huge, stock muffler.

This model is just downright beautiful. CMP did a great job on producing this.

Good luck with your maiden flight. Hopefully someone will be able to video it for you.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot