HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2008, 10:25 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,752 Posts
Discussion
My 1/6 Scale Sig Cub Project Revival

I started this Sig 1/6 scale Cub some 25 years ago, framing up the fuselage and wings and losing interest. A year ago my interest revived a little sdand I bought an AF 25 geared from an E-Zoner and a 16 cell 1250AUP round cell pack for it , and let it sit some more. After completing my Peashooter for the first design and build contest and my Berkeley Aeronca Sedan for the Kit and Plan contest, I got back on the Cub project and am now moving right along. The other 1/6 scale J3 to Super Cub kit bash thread inspired me. I have the dummy engine halves mounted in "shadow boxes" built into the kits' plastic cowl. Cylinders are balsa wrapped with copper wire, eyebrows are manila folder material and exhausts are bent and soldered brass tube. The instrument panel is 1/8 ply. I cut kerfs in the backside to allow bending forward. I drilled and dremels instrument holes and painted the pane flat black.I printed out a screen shot of a flight sim scaled to the right size for my panel, cut out and glued them to the back and glued clear plastic to the front. Finally I glued rings made from solder to the plastic faces. Macro shots make things look rougher than they are at stand-off scale distance. (At least I'm getting it done). I did sand the rocker boxes and painted them silver. I plan to sheet the inside of the cabin and paint it yellow. I also plan to make a removable platform with two seats and balsa pilot figures with joysticks that will velcro to the two 2200 lipos. I hooked up the power and R/C stuff the other day for motor thrust tests. On an 11x7 glow prop the old AF 25 draws 17 amps at full throttle and about 10 at 2/3, should give ten minutes duration with a few loops and wingovers.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2008, 11:04 AM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
Looking good.

Watch all the scale do dads - they tend to pack on the oz real quick.

Keep the photos coming.

Ted
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Old Feb 07, 2008, 11:31 AM
Joined Oct 2000
11,752 Posts
More pics showing door and window hinge detail and silver rocker boxes.
I'm not overly worried about weight with 6 feet of wing and big stick model construction. I am considering making a simple bungee sprung landing gear with pivoting gear legs but may just install the simpler kit version. May use new Dubro wheels with cub hubcaps instead of ancient Banner wheels that I bought for the Cub originally. Downthrust is exaggerated by camera.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Feb 07, 2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2008, 11:51 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
I have a Sig 1/6 scale that spent 30years , partly built , in my attic .

Two years ago I retreived it , finished it and put it on floats . AUW with floats is 5.5 lbs.

Flys great , but I didn't add any extras to make it more scale looking .
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Feb 07, 2008, 03:29 PM
Joined Oct 2000
11,752 Posts
Wish I lived near some fresh water, we've got the Pacific Ocean but suitable water venues are quite some distance away. A Cub or Aeronca looks great on floats.