SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2008, 08:05 PM
Cheapskate
Dallas, Texas
Joined Jan 2008
265 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex Power Pack for Easy Star- Good Option?

Is the Multiplex Power Pack that includes a Himax brushless motor a good setup?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPVF5&P=Z

This will be my first plane that I want to grow with. I want to run a brushless motor with a 7 cell battery in the begining then go lipo in the future. What is the general consensus on this brushless setup from Multiplex?

This is my shopping list so far:
Easy Star Kit
Spektrum DX6i
Brushless motor and ESC
Hitec HS-55 Economy Sub Micro Servos
Great Planes Electrifly 7 cell 1100 mAh flat pack (might have a fitment problem here?)

Thanks for the help guys. Any and all advice regarding my Easy Star build is welcomed. BTW, I've read through some of the Easy Star posts but I get lost because they are so big and jump from topic to topic!!!
Redfire SVT is offline Find More Posts by Redfire SVT
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2008, 08:32 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Umm, just get the RTF. You end up saving a lot of money, and it comes with a high quality Hitec radio, and hitec receiver, and some of hitecs "dressed up" multiplex servos.

Ordering from Hobby People will save you time, and will have it to you in less than 3 days, depending on where you live.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/240025.asp

The included motor/ESC/battery combination work very well, and there is absolutely no need to waste money on a brushless setup for a plane that flies very well with the included parts. If you can somehow stop by a Hobby People store, then you can get one for $179.99 RTF.

BTW, HS 55 servos are too small for the plane. They just didn't seem to provide enough torque when a modeler had them in.

Also, if you haven't flown a plane before(not including a flight sim for RC), then I urge you to NOT get a lipo pack, or brushless setup, as you risk damaging them. But once you get pretty good at flying, and can takeoff/fly/land on your own, then go for a big 2 cell lipo, like 1500-4200 mah. A fellow modeler used a big 2 cell 4200 mah lipo, and flew for about 4 hours before landing, with only light winds, on a stock setup. The stock setup is the shiz Happy flying.
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 06, 2008, 08:52 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,817 Posts
Save some cash Bro on the motor for the ES, you can get a BL motor (any of the 28mm motors ) and ESC for about $40 from United Hobbies, and a 2000 2s li-po for $20.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Feb 06, 2008, 09:50 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Again, there really isn't any need for a brushless motor, or lipo in an easy star.
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 06, 2008, 09:59 PM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
There isn't a "need" for lipo or brushless in many electric planes. Doesn't mean they're not an upgrade from brushed and nicks. Longer flight time, weight savings, power to burn. Not including, not having to buy all new when you do make the jump, and you will make the jump if you stay.

John
GD5015 is offline Find More Posts by GD5015
Old Feb 07, 2008, 11:02 PM
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
429 Posts
HS-55 servos work fine in an EasyStar. Make sure your control surfaces are free, and there will be no problem. I have used GWS Pico Servos in an EZ. Go brushless... there is no sense in buying a motor you wont be able to use in anything else later down the road. As John said, lighter, more power, more efficient, and great for another plane later on
Chris Moon is offline Find More Posts by Chris Moon
Old Feb 08, 2008, 12:06 PM
South Devon UK
Joined Aug 2002
821 Posts
I have used a Hyperion P-1913-08 on 3S lipo with 7 x 4 prop. The motor is an out runner and fits in the space for the 400 can motor and is mounted on a mounting plate glued to the fuz. The three motor cables have been extended to the battery compartment where the esc has been located. All in all a good setup, no shortage of power and with 2500 lipo I can get 20 to 30 mins flights easily, with lift longer.

I agree with the other contributors and there is no need to upgrade it as it works very well. However I had the lipos form other setups and wanted to used them. 3S being too much for the standard 400.

I really like the plane and as a first ever model donít think it can be bettered. I am teaching my 6 year old so to fly with it.

Anyway good luck

Kris
kris1 is offline Find More Posts by kris1