HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2008, 01:31 AM
Thousand Oaks, California
Joined May 2004
338 Posts
Video
500mg Radio Controlled FHSS Plane

Here's another 500mg plane of the same design, except this one has a 900MHz frequency hopping spread spectrum radio in it, called a Starving Rabbit that I designed and built, see

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754973

The radio weighs 60mg, and the AUW of the plane is between 495mg and 500mg. Both planes use hand-built brushless motors weighing around 50mg.

This one didn't fly quite as well as the other - still needs a little more trimming.

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806518 for more details.

--Martin
Martin SJ is offline Find More Posts by Martin SJ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Martin SJ; Feb 27, 2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Replaced video with better version
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2008, 04:01 AM
Joined Oct 2007
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin SJ
Here's another 500mg plane of the same design, except this one has a 900MHz frequency hopping spread spectrum radio in it, called a Starving Rabbit that I designed and built, see

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754973

The radio weighs 60mg, and the AUW of the plane is between 495mg and 500mg. Both planes use hand-built brushless motors weighing around 50mg.

This one didn't fly quite as well as the other - still needs a little more trimming.

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806518 for more details.

--Martin
That shows some real skill in building! Nice flyer too!
philami is offline Find More Posts by philami
Old Feb 06, 2008, 04:41 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2006
338 Posts
it seems a bit underpowered to me.......it slowly gets lower and lower or were you just flying it that way???

Thanks, Daniel
legine is offline Find More Posts by legine
Old Feb 06, 2008, 05:22 AM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Half a gram total? That is nuts!
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Feb 06, 2008, 10:47 PM
Joined May 2004
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by legine
it seems a bit underpowered to me.......it slowly gets lower and lower or were you just flying it that way???

Thanks, Daniel
Hi Daniel - you're right, this one is a little underpowered/trimmed badly, though it weighs virtually the same as its twin which uses a 27MHz radio. All other equipment is the same. I don't consider this one to be legitimately flying yet, but it will. Take a look at the twin, which really did fly:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814127

--Martin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:02 AM
Joined May 2004
338 Posts
I have replaced the video in the first post with one of a better flight made this evening.

The plane has a new motor and re-installed battery. It turned out the battery had a bad connection.

It is still losing energy to porpoising, but the battery is as far forward as it will go. I'll have to figure out another way to get the weight further forward.

--Martin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:01 AM
Palm City, FL
Joined Dec 2000
628 Posts
Wild, totally wild.

Don't fly in any rooms with insects..... a fly will try to mate with it and shoot you down!
TimOBrien is offline Find More Posts by TimOBrien
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:17 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,649 Posts
Incredible Martin! So small and yet controllable, extremely well done!!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Feb 27, 2008, 07:46 PM
Fairfax Station, VA
Joined Jan 2004
276 Posts
Martin,
Congratulations on A remarkable achievement! Your work, the advanced electronics, aeronautic, and materials technology represented in this airplane should inspire some science and engineering students as well as micro hobbyists. This has the potential to encourage some of them to develop the next generation of the energy efficient vehicles, appliances, and gadgets that we will need in the future. I know that as a student I would have been in awe of this as I am now.
Al
alh747 is offline Find More Posts by alh747
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:45 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,767 Posts
Be careful-you could take an eyelash out with that thing.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar