HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2008, 11:45 PM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
779 Posts
Discussion
My scratch built "STICK" balsa plane

This is the my new balsa project, an aerobatic model for a 400-class brushless motor, 3S battery and 9x6 prop.

I wanted to have a park-flyer capable of performing fast loops and low passes, but solid and easy to build. I wanted it to have ailerons, symmetrical airfoil and modern powertrain.

It all started with balsa sheet sides. I checked the postion of the motor and battery.
The motor is Hang-IT R/C XTRM XTRM 2212/15 (http://www.aussiemodelforum.com/Main...Article&id=441)

The battery shown here is an Align 2S / 1900 mAh, but the one that goes in the model will have three cells, of course.

The picture also shows the plywood firewall (4 mm) and two plywood sides as a protection for the motor. This will be a bit unusual nose shape - closed from three sides, only opened at the bottom. People normally build their "sticks" with motor exposed from all sides.

Now, the wing. It's flat, no V-shape. Altogether I've cut 14 ribs, 4 of them are a bit thicker and will be used for the central section. The airfoil is symmetrical, S8035 14% (another good airfoil is NACA 0015). Using a symmetrical airfoil makes the building a bit more difficult.

molenjin is offline Find More Posts by molenjin
Last edited by molenjin; Feb 06, 2008 at 05:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2008, 12:07 AM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
779 Posts
Central section, Servos

Three E-flite S75 micro servos. They are pretty much the same as Hitec's HS-55. There is a minor issue with these servos, though, the cable makes the installation a bit tricky, especially if you use thicker plywood for mounts. The servo simply does not want to go through. Oh, well...

Here you can see the end of the fuselage and the wing's central section. I used two carbon tubes as spars - very light but very stiff at the same time. The wing will be fixed using nylon bolts. The aileron servos will be mounted upside-down.

Last edited by molenjin; Feb 06, 2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2008, 12:26 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Wow.... you do nice work!!!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 06, 2008, 11:37 AM
GDR
Joined Dec 2007
24 Posts
More pics please...

I just completed my own scratch stick so this is very interresting to me. Mine is not nearly as pretty and cleanly built as yours.

What are your dimensions?

Mine is a true stick fuse (I used the stongest peice of balsa I could find-light but fragile.)
30" x 8 1/2" wing (ailerons 2"). Flat bottom airfoil. I used 10 ribs instead of your 14 and wood dowels instead of your carbon. I was going for cheap and easy on this one.

I have not maidened mine yet but I'm hoping for good slow performance w/ a very "lifty" wing that lets me do low speed rolls and such with a 2 cell battery.

Please keep us updated.
GDR is offline Find More Posts by GDR
Old Feb 06, 2008, 05:22 PM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
779 Posts
Hello NoFlyZone & GDR, thank you for your comments!

>I have not maidened mine yet but I'm hoping for good slow performance w/ a very
>"lifty" wing that lets me do low speed rolls and such with a 2 cell battery.

Might be good, but I still think this sort of model screams for power, so a 3S battery is necessary.
I fly my "Robina" e-glider: http://www.aussiemodelforum.com/Main...Article&id=405 on a 2S battery, and it's not bad, but, again, not much better than a Speed 400 with Nicads. 2S is only good, IMHO, for very small or indoor models.

>What are your dimensions?

I will soon post a scheme with all important dimensions. At this stage, I can say that the wing span is about 96cm and projected weight would be 500g (50% for the airframe, 50% for motor, battery & RC).

Cheers,
Miroslav, Brisbane
Old Feb 06, 2008, 08:57 PM
Joined Feb 2003
22 Posts
Miroslav, my word, congratulations, that has got to be the cleanest model in progress and work area I have ever seen. The wood, the cuts, and the joinery look excellent. Where is the traditional piles of tools that slowly will occupy every square inch (or centimeter) of work space? Let alone all the sawdust, random bits and pieces of balsa, the blood splatters from Xacto blades gone wild and the traditional thumbprint on the fuselage that happens when thin CA meets skin. Looking forward to the build. Excellent work!
AmateurE is offline Find More Posts by AmateurE
Old Feb 06, 2008, 10:19 PM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
779 Posts
>..that has got to be the cleanest model in progress and work area I have ever seen.

Well... my garage and my work table is a pigsty, like any one else's, I guess ..

But when I need to make photos of the current progress, I do it on my car's trunk:

Last edited by molenjin; Feb 06, 2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2008, 01:15 PM
GDR
Joined Dec 2007
24 Posts
I still can't get over how clean your wing ribs are. How do you cut/shape them? I stack mine like you did then shape them on a belt sander. Works well and it's fast and easy.

I maidened mine today and I was very pleased. Did exactly what I had hoped. Flew and was controllable at a walking pace. At full throttle it could climb ALMOST verticle from level flight (I used a 11/4.5 " prop). If I did a dive to get a little extra speed I could do some nice verticle rolls. The big ailerons really helped it do very quick horrizontal rolls at slow/medium speed. This is just what I was shooting for, now I have something to fly my stupid 2cell batteries with and still have fun. This was my first attempt at scratch building so I'm thrilled the thing got off the ground at all.

Can't wait to see your final product.
GDR is offline Find More Posts by GDR
Old Feb 07, 2008, 01:20 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
I agree. Great work. Following closely.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Feb 07, 2008, 07:35 PM
Santa Maria, CA
Joined Oct 2007
332 Posts
You're quite the photographer also. Very nice...
oldschoolvdub is offline Find More Posts by oldschoolvdub
Old Feb 08, 2008, 12:29 AM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
It's great to see a quality, hand-cut balsa build. Great work. Thanks for sharing.
groundfx is offline Find More Posts by groundfx
Old Feb 08, 2008, 08:00 PM
Belgrade
Joined Jan 2008
1 Posts
Good work!
zikaslika is offline Find More Posts by zikaslika
Old Feb 08, 2008, 08:10 PM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
779 Posts
>Can't wait to see your final product.

Me too.

But with a full-time job and three kids, it does not go that fast...

Old Feb 08, 2008, 09:15 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
That is just awesome craftsmanship!!

Looks heavy, what's it weighing like that?
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Feb 08, 2008, 10:09 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,161 Posts
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
Last edited by Arrow; Apr 13, 2008 at 02:26 AM.