HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2008, 09:27 AM
Joined Jan 2008
7 Posts
Discussion
Foam Safe CA or Not?

Hi,

I am trying to clarify if I need to but foam safe CA for elapor (Multiplex) ir not?
I have asked a couple of different localish shops and get two different answers?

One says yea becuase its foam and the other says no because its not polysterene?

Can anyone assure me either way please?

I have done some searches but the threads are so large I can't be sure I find the right answer.

Cheers

Harvey
Godsbrother is offline Find More Posts by Godsbrother
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2008, 10:43 AM
This is glue Strong Stuff
Palo Alto, CA
Joined Oct 2007
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsbrother
Hi,

I am trying to clarify if I need to but foam safe CA for elapor (Multiplex) ir not?
I have asked a couple of different localish shops and get two different answers?

One says yea becuase its foam and the other says no because its not polysterene?

Can anyone assure me either way please?

I have done some searches but the threads are so large I can't be sure I find the right answer.

Cheers

Harvey
Just use regular CA. The manual says specifically to NOT use foam safe CA.

I just built a multiplex gemini, using regular CA throughout, no worries.

The manual also says to use kicker, but this is not required, or desired in my opinon, unless you are building to fly tomorrow. Some of the parts have a close fit and I would not want to use kicker in case my alignment is a bit off. Better to use slow cure and have max alignment time.

Also, be careful about what tape you use to hold parts together while drying. For lack of anything better lying around I used electrical tape, and it pulled some of the coating off the elapor. Not super noticable, but still....
tofuti is offline Find More Posts by tofuti
Old Feb 05, 2008, 10:52 AM
Joined Jan 2008
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuti
Just use regular CA. The manual says specifically to NOT use foam safe CA.

I just built a multiplex gemini, using regular CA throughout, no worries.

The manual also says to use kicker, but this is not required, or desired in my opinon, unless you are building to fly tomorrow. Some of the parts have a close fit and I would not want to use kicker in case my alignment is a bit off. Better to use slow cure and have max alignment time.

Also, be careful about what tape you use to hold parts together while drying. For lack of anything better lying around I used electrical tape, and it pulled some of the coating off the elapor. Not super noticable, but still....
Ok cheers its nice to get confirmation when someone who has done it

cheers
Godsbrother is offline Find More Posts by Godsbrother
Old Feb 05, 2008, 11:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I have 3 EasyStars and an Easy Glider Electric from Multiplex, and MultiPlex, in it's instructions, specifically states NOT to use foam safe CA.

I get great results with what they recommend, which is regular old CA.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)