HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:42 PM
Phoenix AZ
Joined Jan 2010
6 Posts
Plans

Thanks Vince,
There seems to be a difference between my boat and what the plans show. My boat has two hatches, one for the sail control and receiver access and one for the rudder shaft access. My sails show US 12 on the top of the sails but I have been told that it is a West Coast 12. Is there a difference or are they the same boat? My deck is flat so I guess I am going to have to remove it and put on a new desk. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Lynx75 is offline Find More Posts by Lynx75
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:44 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx75 View Post
Thanks Vince,
There seems to be a difference between my boat and what the plans show.
Keep in mind, there is a "US 12" class that is different than the "West Coast"/Newport 12... West Coast 12 was the original name for the N12...

This may be your boat...
http://www.theamya.org/boats/us12/
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:43 PM
Phoenix AZ
Joined Jan 2010
6 Posts
12 meter

The tag that is glassed into the hull says Newport 12 Meter with hull #436. So I guess I still need to find some construction sheets and instructions.
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:55 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,953 Posts
Oh- No mystery then...

the drawings Vince posted are the drawings you need- Perhaps a previous owner deviated from same with extra hatches, etc. it happens-

Good luck-
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 08, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx75 View Post
Thanks Vince,
There seems to be a difference between my boat and what the plans show. My boat has two hatches, one for the sail control and receiver access and one for the rudder shaft access. My sails show US 12 on the top of the sails but I have been told that it is a West Coast 12. Is there a difference or are they the same boat? My deck is flat so I guess I am going to have to remove it and put on a new desk. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
The Newport 12 (West Coast 12) is 72" long, overall. The US 12 is 46" long overall. A Newport 12 sail insignia will be 12
Mine is an older N12, designed and fabricated back in the early 80s. The newer boats have two, sometimes three hatches (you can put in as many as you like). I made mine with two, just like how you described yours.

If you believe your boat is a Newport 12, I would recommend sending an email off to Don Dixon, the class president, with your hull number, he could shed some light on who made your boat, then you could start unwraveling the mystery.
newport12@theamya.org
Vince Hoffmann is online now Find More Posts by Vince Hoffmann
Last edited by Vince Hoffmann; Mar 08, 2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:03 AM
Phoenix AZ
Joined Jan 2010
6 Posts
My boat is a Newport 12 Meter. Fiberglassed in the hull is a label saying Newport 12M home of the Newport 12 Meter boat, hull number 436. I would be willing to pay for a set of instruction plans and diagrams instead of trying to blow them up from a set copied from a post.
Last edited by Lynx75; Mar 09, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2010, 10:45 AM
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
796 Posts
The prints posted were scanned at full size (24"x36") so you shouldn't have any problem printing them on a large format printer. You may also be able to get a copy of the instructions from the original manufacturer.
Vince Hoffmann is online now Find More Posts by Vince Hoffmann
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:35 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Would anyone have some cross sections of the N12? I'm planning on building one with a plank on frame hull and I have the plan of the boat and a side shot but no cross sections or lines to get them from. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:29 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,069 Posts
Seen these Pete?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...53&postcount=8
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob