HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2008, 02:10 PM
Joined Jan 2008
56 Posts
Question
DX6i or DX7? Why spend the extra for the DX7?

Did a comparison of the DX7 vs the DX6i.

Both have DSM2
DX6i is compatible with all existing Spektrum receivers

Main differences I've found:

DX7 : 7 channels, 20 model memory.
DX6i: 6 channels, 10 model memory.

The extra bells and whistles the DX7 has:

Throttle Recovery
Input Select (Switch Select-ability for Aux 2 and Gear)
Dual Rate Switch Select
Servo Monitor
Gyro Sensing
Servo Reverse
Sub Trim
Travel Adjust

Please add anything I've missed, and I'll update the list.

Right now the DX6i is the best value from what I see, considering it can be found at half the price and perform 90$ of the DX7's functions. Hoping some of you can help me figure out if I'm correct.
stvjeep is offline Find More Posts by stvjeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2008, 02:18 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
I'll be curious to hear everyone's review to this post as I am looking at the same two radios???
RMG2 is offline Find More Posts by RMG2
Old Feb 03, 2008, 02:35 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
The DX7 has three flight modes, to the DX6i's two.
You can also automatically switch the dual rates with the flight modes.
I think the DX7 has an extra programmable mix, which just about allows you to do 4-servo glider wings.
And there's room in the battery compartment to stow a bind plug...

OTOH The DX6i balances on the neck strap and has a much more usable trainer switch (i.e. you can reach it without taking your thumb off the stick)

Edit: Does the DX6i not have sub-trims? That's pretty important, but I thought it had them. I'm sure it's got servo reversing and travel adjust...
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Feb 03, 2008, 02:57 PM
Denton Tx.
Joined Sep 2003
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett
I think the DX7 has an extra programmable mix, which just about allows you to do 4-servo glider wings.

OTOH The DX6i balances on the neck strap and has a much more usable trainer switch (i.e. you can reach it without taking your thumb off the stick)

Edit: Does the DX6i not have sub-trims? That's pretty important, but I thought it had them. I'm sure it's got servo reversing and travel adjust...
Yes it has sub trims, Servo Reversing and travel adjustment
Dennis H. is offline Find More Posts by Dennis H.
Old Feb 03, 2008, 03:03 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Nov 2006
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett

The Dx6i does have have sub trims. It does have d/r rate switch's. It actually have a seperate rudder D/r and Throttle hold switch. UNlike the Dx7 that has them the same. One thing i didnt like about My DX7. i couldnt use the ruddle D/r because its also my throttle hold. I know my 6103 have a combine feature that let you combine all the D/r to one switch. the only way i have been able to do that on my dx7 is with auto D/r useing the flight mode swtich. which eliminates the fact that it have 3 flight modes.

It does have end point/travel adjust. and one think i like is that the dx6i has a gyro switch. lets you swap between two different gyro gains from there gyro sensing screen. UNlike the Dx7. to be able to do that. YOu cant use the gyro sensing screen and you need to use the gear travel adjust and then you have use the gear switch to swap between two gyro gain's. One is HH on is Rate .

Basically the only difference is that the dx6i only has 2 flight modes. Less models. and one less channel. and less mixing i think. I dont use any of that so it doesnt matter for me.
dieselracer is offline Find More Posts by dieselracer
Old Feb 03, 2008, 03:46 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
I have the same question but don't fully understand all the functionality and technicalities...im a noobie into RC

im leaning towards the DX6i which can be had for about $99.00 TX only.

im flying an HBFP with a 3n1 and AR6100e using an EFLITE LP5DSM transmitter right now and wonder what im missing..
the TX is also bound to my Eflite Blade CX2 co-ax heli.
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Old Feb 03, 2008, 03:54 PM
Northern Cali
Joined Sep 2003
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamov
im leaning towards the DX6i which can be had for about $99.00 TX only.
Do you have a link for the DX6i at that price? Thanks!
Brown Shoe is offline Find More Posts by Brown Shoe
Old Feb 03, 2008, 03:57 PM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG2
I'll be curious to hear everyone's review to this post as I am looking at the same two radios???
I'll also be looking at this thread for future reference. I can't find the subscribe button, so I'm just making a post so it automatically subscribes me to the thread

EDIT: I found that button under thread tools. I think the layout might of changed, just haven't noticed until now.
Necron Xen is offline Find More Posts by Necron Xen
Old Feb 03, 2008, 04:19 PM
Northern Cali
Joined Sep 2003
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Shoe
Do you have a link for the DX6i at that price? Thanks!

Nevermind. My friend Google found a link for me. That price does not include the receiver or the serevos which is just fine for me! Thanks just the same!
Old Feb 03, 2008, 04:27 PM
hover happy
over under
Joined Aug 2007
1,140 Posts
If you look only at the features, for a beginner, the DX6i and DX7 are pretty darn close. The extra flight mode, extra p-mix, and extra channel are probably the first things you would want on the DX7, but it might take a while before you want them.

I think it's more important to look at the quality of these transmitters. It doesn't cost Spektrum anything to enable more features. The DX6i is cheaper because its parts are cheaper. So the gimbals, switches, and overall construction are probably lower quality than the DX7.

Does it matter? The only way to tell is to go to you LHS and hold both models in your own hands. Play with the gimbals and switches, ask around about the quality of the pots, and then decide.

-Jeff
spinup is offline Find More Posts by spinup
Old Feb 03, 2008, 05:03 PM
Northern Cali
Joined Sep 2003
1,413 Posts
I held a DX6i the other day and it felt VERY good in my hands compared to my DX6. I just LOVE the fact it is powered by 4 AA NiMH batteries; not the cheap NiCads that comes with the DX6. The gimbals felt solid and I did not get a feeling that it was cheap or cheesy at all; just the opposite.
Old Feb 03, 2008, 05:25 PM
hover happy
over under
Joined Aug 2007
1,140 Posts
But have you compared a DX6i to a DX7? That's what this thread is about. Big difference!

-Jeff
Old Feb 03, 2008, 05:27 PM
I need more lipos!
West Covina, CA
Joined Dec 2007
370 Posts
According to my budget DX6i is way much better than DX7
psicrest is offline Find More Posts by psicrest
Old Feb 03, 2008, 06:24 PM
hover happy
over under
Joined Aug 2007
1,140 Posts
LOL. According to my budget, not flying helis at all is "way much better" than flying them.

Anyway, the question is not how much it costs right now, but how much it costs in the long run. If you buy a cheap transmitter now and need to upgrade later, it ultimately costs more.

The simple rule is: Buy the best ground equipment (transmitter, battery charger, etc) that you can afford. It will give you the best performance while you have it, and it will have the best resale value if you ever need to sell it.

-Jeff
Old Feb 03, 2008, 06:28 PM
Northern Cali
Joined Sep 2003
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinup
But have you compared a DX6i to a DX7? That's what this thread is about. Big difference!

-Jeff
D'uh!

I was referring to Spinup's post about the DX6i maybe having cheap gimbals. I have also held and used my buddy's DX7. I like the feel of the DX6i even better than the DX7. Both are very nice radios, but the price makes the DX6i more appealing if you don't need the extra features of the DX7. I also like the fact you don't have to pay for the huge servos that come with the DX7, or used to anyway.