HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2008, 01:43 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,312 Posts
Yippee!
Ressurection: Royal 1/2A P-51

I built this around 12 yrs ago. Originally for .10 size engine. Flew it for two yrs, until 1998 when I came into the light and started being a totally electric modeler. The plane had and interesting maiden flight. At that time, I would often recruit other knowledgeable modelers to do the first handlaunch. A club member, who was in the hobby since I was a boy, volunteered.

The plane was initially nose heavy, slightly. I have a finger and thumb grip on the wing's bottom @ the CG. The gentleman claimed to have handlaunched "hundreds" of airplanes. I told him it was nose heavy, but to fight the "feel" and launch it level.

He took a run of about 10 steps( it was probably the fastest he has moved in 50yrs), STOPPED DEAD, and proceeded to throw it almost vertically. The little .10FSR sagged, labored. And my new Mustang torque rolled, headed to the ground. It pulled out inches from the ground and chased my veteran handlauncher back into the pits.

Me being a safe type of person, I rolled it into the ground. Wing saddle, nose broke. My veteran handlauncher vowed he would never again launch one of my planes. I agreed with him adamately...and since then I do my own launches.

After repairs, it flew well. And was one of my favorites. It had droppable wing tanks. The tubes are still in the wing for the release cords. I may hook it up someday. I still have the glass tanks I made.

The Royal Mustang had a lot of issues. Rudder profile was way off. Tip chord too wide. And the nose built into a funky shape, from too low of a thrust line. While changing the vertical shape, I made the surfaces built-up. Horizontal also. Fin and stab covered w/1/32". Rud&elev covered in silk. I fully planked the wing. Originally C-Tube cap stripped.

After completeting the A-20, I needed another plane to get ready for the spring. Most of my airforce being sold off to financially survive. I studied either this or and old Guillows P-47(I have a /5 Mega for that). I changed the thrust line and made a new chin block. More scale in outline. The new power plant is a Mega 16/25/4. With a 8-6SF and 3s it draws 25A @ 255W. About twice the thrust of the .10. And less weight.

Searching the web, I could not decide on a color scheme of any single model. So.. I will do it in a proto-typical fasion. And yes Doug, it will have a mouth with teeth!

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2008, 02:32 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
Gotta love taking those old ones off the shelf and reworking them.
I may finally get that old Sterling Peashooter in the air, after I saw what ailerons did for my Guillows Spitfire. Will get on adding ailerons to it soon.
On the Guillows P47, I built a new wing with better airfoil and ailerons, and its a great flyer now.

Them big ol hunks of metal still work great Steve. I finally pulled the 109 off the strings and put the previously DD Maxx cobalt back in my 109 scratchbuild, but this time with a gearbox, after the last burnt ESC, and flies fine now. I used up all my old high power brushed ESCs in it, and was down to the last one, that I actually cared about. The last ESC desoldered everything, was probably still flying at some point with half the ICs missing, and finally lost everything and went in. Was amazed to only have to build a new firewall.

I think as soon as you saw the guy running, I would have yelled "STOP, you're fired!". I'm beyond convinced that you don't actually get any faster of a launch, by throwing from a run. The run disrupts the throw so bad that the end result is no faster than a good stationary toss.
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert
Old Feb 04, 2008, 08:56 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,574 Posts
St Martin

I've just photographed the kit box and contents of one of these to stick her up on eBay, convinced that I'd never get a round tuit and build her.

You've just persuaded me to hang fire for a bit.

Watching with interest.

Bri
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Feb 04, 2008, 05:57 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,312 Posts
Yes, Bri, she is a good flyer. Altho Royal was not famous for their lite wt designs. But it has plenty of wing area. It could be built much lighter by substituting some of the wood. The Mega 16/25/4 is a real power house. And should make it perform admirably, regardless of the AUW.

Nice planes Bill. I built the Stryker P-51 back in the early 90's with a Enya .15. Awesome flyer. I may just drag out the old Guillows P-47 for that Mega. It must have over 400flights on it. I wore out two OS .10's. and three piston/cyl assemblies for a Cox .09 Medallion thrtl/sleeve. It also had a bomb/tank drop. And I made the airfoil semi-symetrical, C-tubed the wing, front and back, sheeted the fuse partially, and covered w. silk. These 1/2A designs fly so much better electric. They swing a better prop.

The P-51 swung a 7-4 MA(bat), Now swinging a 8-6SF at more RPM.

Fuzz
Old Feb 04, 2008, 10:40 PM
Imagine That!
Tularosa, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin
Me being a safe type of person, I rolled it into the ground. Wing saddle, nose broke. My veteran handlauncher vowed he would never again launch one of my planes. I agreed with him adamately...and since then I do my own launches.
Same thing happened to me back in the 80s - beautiful little P-40 with OS .10 - club "expert" - run - stop - javelin throw - yada yada.

I look forward to seeing your restored P-51 fly electrically

Tom
TomJacoby is offline Find More Posts by TomJacoby
Old Feb 10, 2008, 02:28 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,312 Posts
It should fly many X's better, this way Tom.

Worked seven days, this week. But did get a little done. Now to work on the "mouth". Bottom of 51 done in Krylon smoke grey. Top in Italion Olive w/ Model Master Euro Grey I. I'm using most stuff I had on hand. If you have never considered using Krylon Acrylics, try them. $2.97 a can. And the pigments are fantastic for a light finish. Dry to touch in no time. Can be masked in a few hrs.

Fuzz
Old Feb 26, 2008, 06:23 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,312 Posts
Well it's finished and awaiting spring. Should it ever arrive...

Fuzz
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:28 AM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Sep 2004
506 Posts
Now that’s a good-looking bird! Can’t quite figure out exactly what it is about it; just something about the nose area…………..

That Krylon really does seem to work well. Good color, and depth.

Should be a fine flyer. What is the auw?

I’ve got to get outside now and push around 8 inches of spring. I think this year we’re gonna go directly into summer (of course, mud season should be something to behold this year.)

Doug
DougC is offline Find More Posts by DougC
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:21 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,312 Posts
Hi Doug! The AUW is 29oz with a Hyperion 2200 3s. 27oz with a 1500-3s. It balances perfectly, now. It was over 30 oz and nose heavy, when an I.C. (can I say that here?) model. It took a good heave to get it airborne with the .10 FSR and 7-4 prop. Now it has over 1-1 thrust with the 8-6SF. I may go to a 8-6E, to lower the amp draw and get the top end a little faster. Still will have over 1-1 thrust. 25A @ 255W. Whats that about 180w per Lb? ooooo.... Thats a good number for an EDF!

Fuzz
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:45 AM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
Nice job Fuzz.
My what big teeth you have grandma!
I think you need to redo it with a cutdown canopy and slender turtledeck added to make her a racing P51...the slenderness of the fuse and curves of the rear fuse suggest a faster airplane...
RAFster
David

P.S.
What other jewels do you have to re-breath life into?
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:43 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Great Work Steve,

I was never able to get the IC thing to work. Electric makes so much more possible. I have rescued a couple of Guillows, One worked (P-51) and one did not so far (P-40).

I hope you bring the P-47 back to life. I just finished mine and I think it flys better than the Alfa faomie.

Good luck getting your sharkstang back up. Love those teeth.

Cheers,

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Mar 11, 2008, 05:36 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,312 Posts
Hi David! The Royal canopy is not sized correctly for this plane. Definetly kind of cartoonish.. What other jewel's? Hmmm..

Mark, I had problems with the P-40 also. I even enlarged it to 36". It always acted like the tail surfaces were stalling. Even at high speed. But that was IC. Maybe with a larger "E" prop, the problem will go away. Danbury, ehh.. I go through there on my way to N.Y. on my deliveries. Then I go north on 22 up to Pawling, Rhinebeck, and across the Hudson on the Kingston bridge. Beautiful scene, there. Every thursday, usually. The rest of the week, I only go as far as Wallingford, or Southington.

Amazing; CT has a lot of "Fords" and "Bury's". Mass has there "Boro's". And R.I. has the "Tucket's"...

Fuzz
Old Mar 11, 2008, 06:40 PM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Sep 2004
506 Posts
Rhode Island has the Tuckets...........

You're killing me!
DougC is offline Find More Posts by DougC
Old Mar 12, 2008, 01:07 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Fuzz,

Can I call you that? (just trying to sound that out in a RI accent)
LOL’s on the bury’s and such, Don’t forget about “ding’s”, "ports" and of course “field’s”…..

I work right off of 84 exit 2A. I will keep and eye out on Thursdays. Does your vehicle have shark teeth on it? That sure is a nice drive up 22. Drop in for a fly if you like at one of our “fields”.

Yea the Guillows P-40 has been elusive, But I will be taking another shot at it soon. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Looking forward to hearing about your Mustang electrified remaiden.

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Mar 12, 2008, 04:12 PM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,312 Posts
Hey..CT has a "tucket", too! Shetucket! I'se be gowin to "Nue Yawk" tamarra mawning, Mock...down't know me root yet. But, I'se uses root I-84 all da' time.. I'se drives a Carbone Floral truck. Isuzu, cube. I usually goe through Danbury around 9am. But If I have deliveries in Waterbury or Naugatuck, it may be later. I never know till I see my manifest and log.

I'm sure the Mouthstang will fly great. It was excellent when nose heavy, with the .10. I think I'm going to give a 7-5E prop a try. See what I get for readings. I just don't see the need for 255W of consumed power.

Fuzz