Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 22, 2010, 04:56 PM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,528 Posts
i just had to have that stumax fan...
and build around it.. same rules .... and it is going to be big or should i say long.
I expect it to fly at our jet meet here in copenhagen in june 2011.
Claus
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:18 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,417 Posts
i hope your faster than i am ....the stumax does sound nice wish he had a 90mm that sounded as good ...and a 70mm would 'nt hurt either. you should make a "hush" rotor for the WM400
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:31 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,241 Posts
Hey Rodger,
Stu does have a 90mm Wanna see it I will even let you hold it
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:27 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,417 Posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:55 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,378 Posts
Hi guys, Nice scratch build, better is the finishing part of the build to me!
Are there any valid vid links out there? I haven't found it.
Tom
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:12 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,417 Posts
there is some vid in the 2009 ace in the hole electric event in vegas
Old Nov 02, 2010, 03:22 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,948 Posts
Wow AirSally, really cool build, thanks for directing me to it. So you are really kind of custom-forming the skin sections with various shaping tools (cans, edges - whatever works) to achieve the desired contour? What heat method are you using? Also, I'm wondering if all "Depron" is created equal. I have some 3mm stuff I bought off JCopter that is pretty flexible, but then I have some foam sheets from the LHS that are stiffer but also more brittle. That's the stuff I'm practicing with and it's really tricky - the difference between enough heat to bend and too much so it deforms is very little - not gradual at all. Maybe it is not Depron? Where do you get your Depron from and what works best for you?

Sorry to nag with questions - just excited to start my F-104!!!

BTW, I agree that the 104 is an easier build. The intakes might get tricky due to the thinness of the material.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Nov 02, 2010, 10:55 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,417 Posts
depron is depron ..the lhs most likley has "cell foam 88" it is something else . depron has a grain ..it bends one way easier than the other so im carful to cut a piece out with the grain that allows me to get the shape i need . also on the wings i run the grain one way on the bottom and slightly different on top .this seams to make the wing stiffer . i use a heat gun or hair dyer to help form the skin ...as you can see the plane turned out very nice in the end and it is'nt that heavy either ...i used a primer that was too heavy . the kylon H2O primer was pretty light ....but it get dusty sanding it as you cant wet sand it .not sure if it is still avail.BTW i glass it with West sytems ......thinned with alc......
Old Nov 03, 2010, 01:37 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
depron is depron ..the lhs most likley has "cell foam 88" it is something else . the kylon H2O primer was pretty light ....but it get dusty sanding it as you cant wet sand it .not sure if it is still avail.BTW i glass it with West sytems ......thinned with alc......
Thanks Air Sally. I think the cellfoam 88 is what I was trying to work with. I'll get some more depron and experiment. West thinned with alky huh. OK, looks like all you experienced guys do it this way. Duly noted. I am going to try with 207 also, though.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 04:59 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,417 Posts
yeah i think that 207 might be the ticket ...i think it levels out real nice ...CST is just up the road from me ...might get some and see how it does .....i have seen alky mixed in cause shrinking in some layup where i had cab-o-sil mixed as a filler......but when glassing a wing the alky evaporates rather fast so maybe that is why we can get away with it ."Z poxy" is better for glassing anyway ..it sands better and self levels.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 06:33 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,948 Posts
I spoke to the guy at West and he said 207 was definitely the ticket for glassing over balsa or foam because it produces a nice liquid consistency. Cure times he said were slightly faster than 206 but much slower than 205. He said 207 should give thinned consistency but without as he put it, "contaminating and chemically altering epoxy like alcohol does".

Sorry to sound like a newbie wimp but - is Zpoxy odorless and easy to work with like West?
Last edited by TTRotary; Nov 03, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 06:47 PM
San diego, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
1,436 Posts
Zpoxy is odorless, but if I remember right, it's pretty thick compared to West Systems 205 which is what I use now. But it will get the job done for small parts, not sure if I'd use it as a primary resin.

FJ
FlyJumper is offline Find More Posts by FlyJumper
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:07 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,417 Posts
it's a darker color ...comes in squeez bottles and is a one to one ratio for mixing ...and you dont have to buy a quart...comes in 8 oz. bottles i think.it is thin enough as is ...but i thnk guys thin it ...i have used acetone also ...but it evaporates quickly .....of corse you cant use acetone on foam .
Old Nov 13, 2010, 01:45 PM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,528 Posts
Today I recieved a set of duct for the 70 mm draken that Airsally made for his draken, the one i designed and shared with him.
some of the manufactures out there could learn what quallity means, seeing those ducts
it is the best ducts i have seen like a mirror inside and the right stifness .
just good work.
thank you for the ducts... now i do have to do one more Saab Draken ... in the new building stile.

Claus
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:39 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,417 Posts
Gald you got them and approve of them ...yep now it's your turn to build one .i could send you templates of the airfoils i used ..they have more reflex in them than the ones you provided.please post your building right here on this thread.