Cool! Rolling on its wheels under its own power
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:03 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
Rodger, sorry to heat about the BS. Your are right they aren't too bright. I hate dealing with them but at least it medical coverage even if its a dense one lol.

Look forward to test report.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:40 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,265 Posts
oh i forgot to metion that lil c/n was wearing out my DX 6 throttle stick .....he is a chip off his dad....he knows where WOT is
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 17, 2009, 04:10 AM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
ROFL, Kids are the best. Love my little monsters and they both know what happens when dad pulls out the toolbox. Unfortunately the first questions are usually "Daddy you crash it?" . Sheesh .

Jason
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:28 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,265 Posts
Low speed Taxi complete

Good news i was able to clear the draken for low speed taxi test ...it was cool to see it move under it's own power it steered very well...i wanted to see if the WM400 had the thrust to get this thing moving .so i set it in some dirt and went straight to WOT...for about 2seconds and the thing shot off and rolled about 50 ft ...i was impressed . That really all i could do as i have a few issue to work out be for high speed / takeoff can be done
1) i have a serious battery connector proplem on my main power wires ,the radio and esc shut off if i wiggle the deans connector ...i've never seen this happen befor ,not sure if it is the bec power wires or the male Dean's giving the proplem ,i use 3 diff batts and i could induce a power failure with all of them by wiggling the connector not good
2)main gear legs are a tad short,so i'll see what i can do to fix this .
3)one wing is longer than the other,by atleast 3/8 of an inch ,i think i can fix it at the tips by adding to one and sanding some off the other.
4)need to install my airtronics rx and set up the radio .i was using my DX-6 and the sky ray set up ..but the alierons were backwards.thats why i did not try a high speed taxi.
i used a wemotec fiber glass tail pipe that i installed over the wm400 tail cone ,which i removes most of it except for 3 finger to hold the tail cone and stators.looks nice i used silicone to bond it to the fan shroud.
i also noticed the motor was plusating ever so slightly at WOT not sure if it is the esc or cold not fully charged batt.Bob have you run a JS1400 on a CC HV110 before?
i just weigh it tonite by holding it and stepping on a digital scale ,AUW now with out paint is 4.4 pounds. not sure if i can get any weight out of it but i'll be happy with 5 lbs total after paint
here some more pics. oh the last shot shows the wm400 V-2 rotor
Last edited by AIR SALLY; Apr 19, 2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:36 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
dad, just switch over to 6mm bullets. your going to need them at some point anyhow. it will make the setup in the bearcat much easier. dang, how did you build one wing bigger....thats really odd. are you sure? im a little worried about that tail pipe after the experience we had with your F-16, but i guess just make certain that its straight. also, if you use bullets on the packs, you can borrow some from me if needs be. looks good though. maiden set for next sat....
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:02 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
That's an amazing build! Great job Roger!
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:37 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,265 Posts
i dont think i have any 6mm bullets i think most of the wing thing is the tip block and the fuse i measured from might be fatter on one side
Old Apr 19, 2009, 03:46 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
i think ive got some you can use. yeah, i think your right. i see a bit more on one tip. try measuring from a differnt spot.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 19, 2009, 04:04 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Very nice Rodger,

Question, is C/N going to be your test pilot? How much travel are you planning on using for a maiden start point?
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Old Apr 19, 2009, 04:25 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,265 Posts
well i'd like to do the madien but he'll be there if needed ...just depends how well i'm seeing it . i think 1"" up and down 1/4 to 3/8 alieron. there is a lot of surface area and deltas seem to roll a lot(read twitchy) ,i'll have dual rates to calm it down if needed ...the c/g seems sensitive if you move just a 1/4 " the nose raises or drops depending which way you go ..so i'll stay with a fwd c/g and keep the 1 " travel to trim out the heavy nose for madien.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 05:54 PM
P. Seitz
United States, IA, Mechanicsville
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
good luck on your maiden !

Paul
seitz2c is offline Find More Posts by seitz2c
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:11 PM
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,216 Posts
AS, I have learned the hard way tail heavy for delta's, nose heavy for conventional birds. This way delta's dont loose ele authority.

As for the connectors, I am with CN just go to the 6mm-6.5mm connectors. I am running 6.5mm ones in my A-4 and anything that pulls more than 50A. No muss no fuss and full flow of current without worry of connection failure or power loss.

Jason
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:00 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,653 Posts
Yes Rodger my F-16 uses a CCHV-110 and 5S and works great Jason got to see it Friday. No issues with the esc at all.
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:04 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,571 Posts
Just out of curiosity since I haven't gotten into high current operations yet, but what size wire are you running that needs a 6-6.6 mm bullet connector?

Tony
TPfingston is online now Find More Posts by TPfingston
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971