HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:19 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
thanks guys .....Claus do you have a pic of that red one in the line of 51? where i fly that green is going to cause proplems....i dont like that gizmo under the nose either ,it take away from the Draken nice nose lines.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2008, 03:51 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Hey click on the airworld link I posted on page 1. Its the stoli vodka one I think. It has great visibility unless you want straight up military.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:53 PM
P. Seitz
United States, IA, Mechanicsville
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
Following this build ! lots of photos please.
seitz2c is offline Find More Posts by seitz2c
Old Feb 10, 2008, 06:56 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,899 Posts
Looking good, Rodger! Premium build coming, and kudos too go to Claus for what appears to be some premium plans! These kinds of shared builds are powerful springboards for other creative souls that crave inspiration. Thanks for going the extra mile to share, Rodger!

BTW, any chance you can shed a little more light on the CF/FS-850/CF sandwich you are using for your spar? I've not heard of FS-850 (as quoted below)

tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
here a pic of the main spar ...FS-850 was chosen and one layer of 582 c/f cloth was layed up on each side feels strong and man it only wieghs 9.88 grams.what do you guys think? should i chicken out and put one more layer?
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; Feb 11, 2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 08:53 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
Thomas...FS-850 is the fuse station .the C/F is #582 weave ...you could lay it up on a basket ball.same stuff all the car and airplanes are made of
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:11 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,899 Posts
Gotcha Rodger. Somehow I thought FS-850 was your webbing material. I now realize you are laying CF directly over the depron.

Catchya later!

tn
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; Feb 10, 2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: the usual raeson
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:39 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
you got it ...the depron is softer than most structural foams but as a bulk head or spar it seems really strong ,as a skin it may be dent prone..i saw a stumax F-104 that had depron glass sandwhich wing skins and it was easy to dent.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:21 AM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,532 Posts
stressed skin / monoqueqe construction.

just til illustrate what difference in stifnes one can have going from pure Depron Or do i have to call it Norped to go under the sharp eyes of the moderator.

Claus at area 52
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Old Feb 11, 2008, 08:05 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Air Sally/ Claus,

I think the idea of starting with a half fuse section with bulk heads and complex structure pieces is and incredible idea. This airframe size is what Iím looking at for an F-106 project and want to incorporate your build ideas. I canít wait to see your progress and modifications to plan please keep the detail up. Question, why did you guys choose a half main spar support and not a single piece for both halves? With the long delta wing will you add other wing support C/F spars down the fuse?

Jeff
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Old Feb 11, 2008, 08:30 PM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
613 Posts
Back long time ago while in college I pretty much lived tight. Heck, had to eat cup-o-noodles to get by. With that said I also had no money to build balsa kits.
Sat one day and decided to build an airplane using glassed foamboard for scientific projects. I had plenty of that stuff at the time and the school sold it by the truckloads...........
I then cut frames out with my scroll saw and built an airplane from a friend of mines plans......

To my surprised it flew like a champ!

The depron stuff, guess it works just as good, well I guess whats in between the scientific project foamboard is a form of depron.......

Orlando
marineA4 is offline Find More Posts by marineA4
Old Feb 11, 2008, 08:42 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
lemo i'll just do a doubler for the spar it will help spread the load into the thicker parts of the bulk head .claus kit would have a one piece spar...this was just easier for me ....no other reinforcement in the 79degree delta part ecept the former where the gear attach are glassed both side, the 59 degree delta will have some spar in it,most likly a fore and aft spar. sheeting the frame now ...not much fun.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:38 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
sheeting

started sheeting the fuse frame,this is tricky stuff .the depron must be heat formed ,i use cans of different dia. to do this . parts must be prefit .i tack glue at one side with ca and "kicker" then in the middle i use quick cure Gorilla glue (clear dries white)then i pullit down to the frame and tack the other side with CA. care must be taken not to warp the frame ,as it is weak untill skined.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:46 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
Got some more sheeting done ..i had a good nite and was really able to form and fit the parts i had to make a template of the nose piece ,i need to work on the inlet ducts and a canopy plug .heres some pics
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:25 AM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,532 Posts
just a quick help..

Claus at area 52
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:31 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,606 Posts
Thanks Claus...there is a really close up shot in the "midi fan J-35 thread " it's the one that sitting in the woods with the nose cone missing .i did a little more work last night and it looks better already.