HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2008, 02:12 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
Discussion
Clausxpf/Air Sally J-35 Draken,Alpha/Beta build w/New foam shell & glass method

I started the build today on Clausxpf's Draken .Claus did the cad drawings and I'm doing the alpha build .Im using Depron foam sheet that will be Glassed,it's going to have retracts and powered by a WM 400 fan and most likely a LS big motor (GT) on 4s maybe 5s .wing span 810,7 mm (31.9")and the length is 1238,8 mm (48.77") Im shooting for 50oz. auw.the reason i did not post this in the foamy thread is that Claus has invisioned a Glass/depron/glass sandwhich structure.the depron /glass will be moulded .so his way will be lighter than my build .I already ran into a bit of a challange as i should have built it with a top half and a bottom half .the reason is i only got about 500 mm and i now see that i need the inlet ducts frist so i can get them into the plane ,as they are very long and "S" shaped.so i need to switch gears a bit and start on the inlet plugs. hope you guys are ok with this material i'm using hear as this is not a moulded foam air plane it's going to have 1400 watts so it's no parkflyer.so heres some pic of what i got done today.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Last edited by AIR SALLY; Nov 22, 2010 at 04:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2008, 07:17 AM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,538 Posts
ducting

I have a friend in the danish airforce and he had acces to take a picture of the intake right from the front. That way i got it 100% scale.
That fact more or less made the rest of the plane just follow in size.

Claus@Velocity-RC
clausxpf is offline Find More Posts by clausxpf
Old Feb 03, 2008, 03:36 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
Very nice! Yeah this should be in this forum, this isn't a far east flop by any means!
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Feb 03, 2008, 07:51 PM
Joined Aug 2007
951 Posts
This is going to be cool Looking great so far A.S.
Turn n Burn is offline Find More Posts by Turn n Burn
Old Feb 03, 2008, 11:10 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
looks like i will be able to build one half of the plane before the inlets are needed so i can work on a few things .main gear placement is next.i need some plywood to reinforce the mounts ,so i got to make a trip to the hobby shop.
Last edited by AIR SALLY; Feb 03, 2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2008, 07:56 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
working my way back from the nose ...today it snowed and they shut down the hwy i need to go to work on ...so ....Snow day . Did some work onthe main gear mount ,Claus's drawing had the gear in it and it was easy to build what he had drawn. i did not have any plywood big enough to do the whole station former in so since we are using glass ..i fiber glassed the depron former and put 3 layers where the gear mount looks good here some progress pics.these are JHH mini retracts which i highly recomend .I'll be using spring air 602's for this build ..there on there way thanks to "gliders" selling them to me.i used a 1/8 " wire for the legand i have a little bit of toe in built into it so it will track nice.no coil in the wire,so i may make shock absorbing legs from C/F like i did on my Sky Ray.
Last edited by AIR SALLY; Feb 04, 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2008, 10:52 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
looking good a.s...how do the springair 602s compare size and weight wise to the jhh minis?...sorry for being too lazy to look it up myself...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Feb 05, 2008, 12:16 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
size wise there almost the same but i'll have to see about weight when i get them ..the valve and only one hose to ea. gear so should be a tad lighter.
Old Feb 05, 2008, 06:24 AM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,538 Posts
remember to give those two formers at least one layer of glass on the other side to get the full use of the "stressed skin" solution and make it 5 times more stiff.
the 3 layer you have next to the plywood is just fine I would have done the same to spread out the load.

Claus@velocity-rc
Old Feb 05, 2008, 09:10 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
C/F main spar

here a pic of the main spar ...FS-850 was chosen and one layer of 582 c/f cloth was layed up on each side feels strong and man it only wieghs 9.88 grams.what do you guys think? should i chicken out and put one more layer?
Old Feb 06, 2008, 11:56 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,651 Posts
Oh boy I'm watching this one now Build it up and lets make it rip!
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Feb 07, 2008, 12:59 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
Oh yeah i have the WM400 just need the GT.....these are one sexy looking bird. built only a year or two after the Sky ray but man did they ever do it right. flew for 40 years and there are some ex danish ones still flying out of Mojave air port at the civilian test pilot school.
Old Feb 07, 2008, 01:16 AM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
Looks great! This should be a neat looking plane when finished, I'm glad there are guys like you to do the nice complicated stuff for me to enjoy reading about after I get back from flying my simple jets Keep it up!

Frank
burkefj is online now Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures from KSC
Old Feb 07, 2008, 03:56 PM
Claus at Area 52
copenhagen Denmark
Joined May 2002
2,538 Posts
there are some extra pictures of the danish fleet of j-35 d draken ... on the web..
www.draken.dk. most of the writing in danish but the pictures speaks for themselves. especially the one with 51 drakens side by side.
Claus@velocity-rc
Old Feb 07, 2008, 04:51 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
very nice! I always liked that jet, its unique. Yours will without a doubt be cheaper to build than this one too huh? http://www.airworld-usa.com/jet13_page.htm
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin