HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2008, 07:49 PM
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,777 Posts
Contest
Stick Contests at Hodges Hobbies

We just had our first Stick Contest of the year and had a decent turnout. Good friendly competition and fun was had by all. If you are not familliar with these type contests go to www.hodgeshobbies.com and click the "contest" link. It should give you the details of what planes are allowed and events & their rules. This is a really fun competition we try to hold every month or so year round. If you are ever in the area come join us!

Here's a few pics of the fun before and after contest today.
Being as I compete in these I don't really have any pics of the actual event so if some of my fellow hounds read this and have contest pics PLEASE post them!!
Tha Hodgehound is offline Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2008, 09:27 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,777 Posts
Liquidity got a vid of my P-39 Maiden also.....

Richards P-39 (2 min 21 sec)
Old Feb 02, 2008, 09:38 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
We got a nice dopler on the P-39 at 85mph in straight and level flight.

The Tiger Stick contest was a blast. Sadly, I do not have any video or pics of that. I did not want to take my eyes off the action in fear that I would miss something.
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Old Feb 03, 2008, 07:09 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
I am envious guy!

I am glad to see that Mac added a lake for float flys
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Feb 03, 2008, 08:42 AM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,777 Posts
LOL! the only bad thing is that it has a leak under the runway! So you gotta use it while you can, then wait for the next rainstorm! LOL But it was fun while it lasted!
Old Feb 03, 2008, 09:43 PM
Samurai KIIAAAAAAA
Loganville, Ga.
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Screw-In

Thanks StickKiller for making this thread. The Stick Contest is always looking for new faces. It use to be the "Tiger Stick Contest" until of course, they quit making the Tiger Stick. There are still folk out there flying and competing with the Tiger Sticks. I'm using the Hanger 9 Ultra Stick with str8 ailerons (No mixing allowed).

The idea of the Stick Contest is simply a way of improving pilot skill. For some, it's very competive. Kinda like Nascar, everyone has to fly as close to the same airplane and engine, with no mixing. As a matter of fact the Hanger 9 Ultra Stick came out a good deal lighter than the 5lb minimum, so I had to add a few ounces of wieght to make the 5 lb min.

There are A & B classes, with a discussion of a "C" class. and the rules and events are available on the Hodges Hobbies website.

Dad, got my Brother and I into the contests when we were 13 yrs old. I'm almost 40 now (I still suck). The whole idea was to make us better pilots. It's not the clock, it's not the competition, it's all about you. Always trying to improve your ability to manage airspeed, altitude, and position with no advantage over other pilots trying to do the same. Our airplanes will not roll, loop, or spin any faster than another....No one has a highspeed tuned pipe engine. However, the times to complete an event are drasticly different depending on your skill. The idea is, "You are your own competition and your worst competitor."

BTW the prize winning aren't really anything. I think sign up is $10-15 bucks, which buys lunch and the rest is given out at the end for the top three in each class. But the bragging rights are worth gold. My brother stomped my tail in every event yesturday. He finished 2nd in "A" class losing out only to David G. You really got to have game to beat David G. Mac finished 3rd, I finished 4th, Dad finished 5th. I think the scores for both A & B class are posted or will soon be posted on Mac website.

I hope to see some new faces, everyone is welcome.

Screw-Out
Screw is offline Find More Posts by Screw
Old Feb 05, 2008, 10:50 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
I just got an email from Hodge's with the results from the day

Surprise surprise, Mac took first prize....

I think it's rigged!
Old Feb 05, 2008, 02:27 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,777 Posts
Mac got lucky! David Grantham usually takes the cake, followed by(in any different order) Mac, Dan,Mike,or John Stevens etc. I usually come in about middle of the field. But Hey the prize money is not all that significant. It's all about having fun with your friends and improving your own skill level. The contest will show you that you CAN do things with your plane You didn't think you were capable of!
Old Feb 05, 2008, 03:03 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
Dont forget crashing. It is always a site when there is a crash. Usually there are pretty destructive ones too.
Old Feb 05, 2008, 04:12 PM
....PieMaster....
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidity
Dont forget crashing. It is always a site when there is a crash. Usually there are pretty destructive ones too.
Which crash? I had two.

Kenny
kave_man is offline Find More Posts by kave_man
Old Feb 05, 2008, 04:15 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgehound
Mac got lucky! David Grantham usually takes the cake, followed by(in any different order) Mac, Dan,Mike,or John Stevens etc. I usually come in about middle of the field. But Hey the prize money is not all that significant. It's all about having fun with your friends and improving your own skill level. The contest will show you that you CAN do things with your plane You didn't think you were capable of!

Dude, go pick your plane up from the middle of the field, some of us are trying to land there...
Old Feb 05, 2008, 06:45 PM
Samurai KIIAAAAAAA
Loganville, Ga.
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
Screw-In

To me the more specatular crashes involve a Limbo pole. I've crashes more than a few spinning into the ground trying to get the last spin in.

One of the things I like most about the contest is you get two attempts. Alot of contests don't do that, but this one you can get a score, and then try to beat it. If you can't beat it, at least you have a score. I always try to make my first attempt nice and easy just to finish the event. Then the second attempt I'll let it rip tater chip.

I thought David G. won this last one, followed by Mike, Mac, Me, then Dad. I can't pull up the scores for some reason, but if someone can, post the scores here.

Screw-Out
Screw is offline Find More Posts by Screw
Old Feb 05, 2008, 07:09 PM
....PieMaster....
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
Email from Mac

Greetings From Hodges Hobbies;

Our first Stick contest of the year last Saturday had a good turnout and we enjoyed a beautiful day. We've really lucked out on the weather both for our first race and now the Stick contest. We had 15 entrants and a good time was had by all. Thanks to Robin and Mike for doing the scoring, Sandy for her help in keeping score, and Lynn for getting the pizza. Ian, where were you?? And you too Hoot?

The Winners are: (Drum Roll)

B-Class:

1. Sam Williams
2. Robert Gambescia
3. Don Pruitt

A-Class:

1. David Grantham
2. Mike Stevens
3. Mac Hodges

James Barr is having a couple of pylon races in South Carolina April 5 and May 10. More info later.

Take care, Mac
kave_man is offline Find More Posts by kave_man
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:50 PM
End of an Era.....
Joined Mar 2004
2,777 Posts
There ya go....

icrashedthecub said he had a blast even though he totalled out his stick!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 03:04 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
Not totalled. I hear it is fixed.