HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2008, 10:39 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert May
"you name it he's done it" ......Rap, Ska?
The frog chorus. Rockin
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Feb 05, 2008, 10:43 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,667 Posts
Punkie

The Undertones and Stranglers are two of my favourite bands, proper musicians who wrote decent songs. Kenny Ball is awesome as well and shows that good music and energy crosses the various musical genres.

If I never heard a Pistols record again I wouldn't miss it. That's all a matter of personal taste but if ever a band was over-hyped well above their capabilities then that was them.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Feb 05, 2008, 10:48 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,667 Posts
Easy to pull up The Frog Chorus and Mull of Kintyre and have a little snicker fellers but don't forget that Mull of Kintyre was just about the most successful single ever released for many years .

You also need to consider some of the finest and most successful songs ever written - like Yesterday to name but one - if you want to pull out the occasional bum song like The Frog Chorus (a piece for a film).
Old Feb 05, 2008, 11:00 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
but if ever a band was over-hyped well above their capabilities then that was them.
Sorry, but I feel the same about the Beatles.
But there you go, its all a matter of likes and dislikes. I will listen to some Beatles and enjoy it for what it is. I have even sung a couple of Beatle tracks down the Pub and got a good reaction.
But don't ask me to join in all this "Without the beatles we would been have stuck in the 50s musically" rubbish. Because it just aint so. Likewise Punk or something very similar would have happened without the Sex Pistols and Malcom McClaren.
In both cases the time was right, and a band was lucky.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Feb 05, 2008, 11:26 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
Sorry, but I feel the same about the Beatles.
But there you go, its all a matter of likes and dislikes. I will listen to some Beatles and enjoy it for what it is. I have even sung a couple of Beatle tracks down the Pub and got a good reaction.
But don't ask me to join in all this "Without the beatles we would been have stuck in the 50s musically" rubbish. Because it just aint so. Likewise Punk or something very similar would have happened without the Sex Pistols and Malcom McClaren.
In both cases the time was right, and a band was lucky.
The Beatles were innovators, right from their beginnings. They aren't known as the Four Lads Who Shook The World for nothing. Top Dogs in the Sixties and yeah a lot of other bands were pulled along in their wake, but no-one could touch them at their height. However much those achievements are the subject of hyperbole, the reality matches and exceeds that. The figures of albums and singles sold, the numbers of fans, the critical acclaim and the impact they made all speak for themselves. They entirely changed the course of popular music and advanced the whole concept. You could say something similar for Elvis.

You simply can't say anything like that for the Pistols.

To give just one example, in terms of recording. Wheras the Beatles were essentially instrumental in creating an entirely new way of working in the studio - ADT, multi-tracking, more complex and layered symphonic song structures, new mixtures of western and eastern sounds, instruments and performers, the very concept of the concept album to give just a few examples - the Punk movement essentially just went backwards to twenty years earlier with very basic rock songs, played somewhat louder, with a good deal less musical skill in many cases and with some shock vocals lobbed in for good measure. It wasn't called the Great Rock And Roll Swindle for nothing
As regards being lucky, there's a phrae from the sporting world - the more I practice the luckier I get. That holds true for music too, I reckon.

Like we both said though its all a matter of personal taste.
Old Feb 05, 2008, 11:55 AM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,501 Posts
Were the Beatles the best band ever, the most important 20th century musicians, the greatest musical innovators, the best song writers, the most influential musicians?

Of course it's debatable - but all those questions are never asked about any other musical act of the 20th century (except maybe Elvis Presley, who wasn't really a song writer).

One thing is for sure, the Beatles were (and still are) the most successful music act of all time.
Michael in Toronto is offline Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Feb 05, 2008, 12:00 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,667 Posts
I've had a tape of Abbey Road/Let It Be in the car for the past week or so - radio reception in central Scotland is lousy and I've had a few trips up and back - and it's been a while since I've listened to it.

As a result my boy is hearing them for pretty much the first time and he's knocked out with them.

He hated Across the Universe though.
Old Feb 05, 2008, 12:01 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto

One thing is for sure, the Beatles were (and still are) the most successful music act of all time.
George Martin deserves an awful lot of the credit for the Beatles success though.
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Old Feb 05, 2008, 12:02 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle
George Martin deserves an awful lot of the credit for the Beatles success though.

..and, of course, he gets it.
Old Feb 05, 2008, 12:03 PM
Joined Apr 2002
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in Toronto
Were the Beatles the best band ever, the most important 20th century musicians, the greatest musical innovators, the best song writers, the most influential musicians?

Of course it's debatable - but all those questions are never asked about any other musical act of the 20th century (except maybe Elvis Presley, who wasn't really a song writer).

If you forget about Queen or The Bee Gees?
Robert May is offline Find More Posts by Robert May
Old Feb 05, 2008, 12:05 PM
Against it with you
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Quote:
I've had a tape of Abbey Road/Let It Be in the car for the past week or so - radio reception in central Scotland is lousy and I've had a few trips up and back - and it's been a while since I've listened to it.

As a result my boy is hearing them for pretty much the first time and he's knocked out with them.

He hated Across the Universe though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Have you listened to Let it Be ... Naked? It's without all of the Phil Specter additions, and over the top mixings. I prefer it.
Just realised how that reads. Listening to the album naked doesn't really change the way it sounds, but it can certainly be a different experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwp1I2HHU8
Sprydle is offline Find More Posts by Sprydle
Last edited by Sprydle; Feb 05, 2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2008, 12:07 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,292 Posts
Quote:
multi-tracking
Actually, that was a Les Paul invention.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Feb 05, 2008, 12:14 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
Actually, that was a Les Paul invention.
Yes, it was.

The Beatles took multitracking to the stage of making vast sound canvasses. Reverse guitar parts, tape loops, all of thse innovations. I can recommend a read of the big white book of the Beatles recording sessions, some remarkeable things in there.
Old Feb 05, 2008, 12:47 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprydle
Just realised how that reads. Listening to the album naked doesn't really change the way it sounds, but it can certainly be a different experience.
yeah - a good example of where Macca was right to get stroppy. I try to filter out the slushy bits from the album. I wonder if the fillum is available on DVD- I'd like to get it for my boy if it is.
Old Feb 05, 2008, 12:54 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it was.

The Beatles took multitracking to the stage of making vast sound canvasses. Reverse guitar parts, tape loops, all of thse innovations. I can recommend a read of the big white book of the Beatles recording sessions, some remarkeable things in there.
Actually, Les Paul invented loops too. Look up "Les Paulverizer", the very first tape loop effects machine, which Les used extensively in live radio shows. All the Beatles did was copy his true innovation.

And he did it when the Beatles were still in grade school (1950), often inventing his own equipment, because no equipment was available. You ought to pick up some of his albums.

Les Paul also made a multi recording involving his playing 8 different parts on WAX record masters, in 1947, creating your basic "sound canvas". Mary Ford made multiple voice recordings providing a unique sound never heard before.

And of course, every solid body guitar the Beatles ever played, owes its genesis to Les Paul.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy