Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:42 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Discussion
Another schooner kit - T47

http://www.modelsailboat.com/t47.html

Any comments?
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
Last edited by jpatters; Feb 07, 2008 at 09:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2008, 06:10 PM
V32 Racer
Iowa
Joined Mar 2007
47 Posts
Welp ...

I am not a Fan of this kit from the start. I don't think Schooners should have Keel Fin's
Cryodacry is offline Find More Posts by Cryodacry
Old Jan 31, 2008, 06:37 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Negative or positive comments appreciated.
Last edited by jpatters; Feb 07, 2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:17 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Has a certain "grace" in the water, I'd say... looks like it would make a fun boat at the pond on a sunny day!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:33 PM
Joined Aug 2006
62 Posts
Cryodacry,

Will your V32 sail without a keel fin ?, I think not.
So why deny a Schooner one ?.

Even with its tiny, single sail your V32 will be lying flat on the water without its keel fin, at least some Schooners can sail with a scale Hull under the water.
Surely you can understand why a scale model has to be provided with extra righting moment, we are sailing in Full Size Water, just like the real boat.

You need to build a Schooner, keep it absolutely Scale under the water, then you will change your mind about keel fins.

John.
JayDee1 is offline Find More Posts by JayDee1
Old Feb 02, 2008, 09:34 AM
Leesburg, GA
Joined Jul 2006
35 Posts
Seems expensive for a square box-type hull to me. If you've built a kit before of similar complexity you may want to branch out and scratch build your own schooner. I'm building one with a box-type hull from plans in a book for a full size boat. I can't imagine I've spent more than $75 yet, including the book, the wood, cloth for sails, paint, and $25 for fancy little bowsies and cleats imported from UK and Germany...Suppose another $100 for the radio.
I think its looks are on par with that one (of course I may eat my words when I finally get it in the water if it doesn't work!).
Here's the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800936
Walther is offline Find More Posts by Walther
Old Feb 04, 2008, 03:17 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,039 Posts
I've been following this thread of using a fin and bulb keel on a scale schooner. It really all comes down to righting moment required (rig height/area vs. keel/weight/depth) doesn't it? If you build a boat with a deep enough full keel and/or a short enough sail plan you don't need a deep fin and buld. Of course, a deeper fin and bulb will improve the handling of almost any type of boat. A deeper fin/bulb might have been used by the original shipwrights if they had access to materials that would have allowed them to move the ballast weight farther away fromt he hull.
I have attached a few pictures of my fathers scratch built schooner, currently being rebuilt by me. His construction plan was a line drawing in Sail magazine many years ago and just free handed the rest. It has a wider center section of the keel timber made from a lead casting. The boat is about 38" long and draws about 4" of water. He also has an aux engine and prop. The flying jib is not controlled, but will tack from side to side. It is a great boat for shallow or weedy lakes as it will glide over the weeds.
Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:04 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
bumping an old thread.. i have eye balled this kit for some time and really have a an interest in doing a boat like this maybe this winter, has anymore info come up?? the price is a bit high but if its good gear and well made kit it sure beats the hassel of scratch building in my book.. and its a boat that wont need all the scale detail to be majestic onthe water.
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
Old Aug 05, 2008, 05:34 AM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
It is very pricey for a box construction model.

The Mary J Ward (Schooner), or Ruby B (cutter), by Victor Models are both much more detailed and are a similar size.

They can also be modified to increase the sail plan.

The discussion on keel fins is interesting. Some boats have a non scale hull (deeper) with a lot of lead in. This is perhaps the neatest way to go. But as John has already said, yu cannot scale wind and water. It is possible that although it can be done without fin keel, the result is likely to be a light airs boat only.
tigerbay is offline Find More Posts by tigerbay
Old Aug 05, 2008, 05:43 AM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
I can't seem to insert pictures. But you can see pics of MJW if you register on this site. http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...?topic=2716.60

Q. How do I insert pictures on here?
Now I just get coding for IMG but no option to Browse.
Last edited by tigerbay; Aug 05, 2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 07:48 AM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
i do like the rubyb ,, i hear the victor kits are alot of work tho. also to post pics here dont click on quik reply, if you use the reply at the bottom left under the threads newest post it will give you attachment options.
mike
Old Aug 05, 2008, 08:19 AM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
Hi Mike
I am not doing quick reply.
I have posted pics on here in the past and had no trouble. But I cannot browse anymore.

Maybe a temp problem with the site.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 08:20 AM
Joined Sep 2006
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper51
i do like the rubyb ,, i hear the victor kits are alot of work tho. also to post pics here dont click on quik reply, if you use the reply at the bottom left under the threads newest post it will give you attachment options.
mike
The Victor are not ARTR but a newbie like me can manage.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 05:57 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbay
It is very pricey for a box construction model.

The Mary J Ward (Schooner), or Ruby B (cutter), by Victor Models are both much more detailed and are a similar size.
Those Victor models appear to cost as much or more. The T47 has a wooden hull instead of a plastic one. Perhaps it's intended for someone who wants a wooden hull kit.
I have not seen the T47 kit but I did build a Tippecanoe T37 last year. The included instructuctions were very good, even going so far as specifying how much of the included West epoxy to mix with the included syringes for each step. Everone does not need that level of help but it sure helped me.
Old Aug 05, 2008, 07:03 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,406 Posts
thanks. i for one like the look of the wood, and im leary of the thin plastic hulls victor sells, had a lcoal builder warn me of that,, however i did email George at victor about getting a sail rig for a MJW for a possible US12 conversion haha,, but man this t47 still looks great to me.. i wish it had more multichine hull tho.. i havent found any pics or video of this boat
mike