HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:49 AM
Bolton, England
Joined Jan 2008
7 Posts
Help!
Basic 4ch wiring diagram

Hi folks,

Ive done alot of searching and cant find quite what Im looking for so Im sorry if its posted else where.

Right, can someone do a basic wiring diagram for a basic RC plane setup just to get it straight in my head.

Lets say a 4ch setup, I cant fiqure out how to connect it all.

Does motor require seperate battery or can I use the RX one.

I really need to get of night shift so I can concentrate.

Thanks, Lee.
delaw is offline Find More Posts by delaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:40 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
I'm not an artist but I'll try to explain it. Battery connects to the Electronic Speed Control (ESC) which most have a Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC) built in that will power the RX and servos. The ESC has three sets of wires. One set usually red and black connects to the battery, another set of two or three for the motor, two for brushed and three for brushless and three small wires often red, white and black that have a plastic connector end on them. This connects to the RX at the throttle position. The other servos have the same plastic end and like wires that plug into the RX in elevator, aileron and rudder positions.
Hope helps.

Dan
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:06 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,440 Posts
Here's a schematic that should help, (or confuse ).

It depends a bit on what you have, if it's an ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) with BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit), then ignore the bit in the circle.

If a better explanation is required just ask.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:10 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,440 Posts
Forgot to say, usually the motor battery, (flight battery), powers the receiver, not the other way round as you put it.

"Does motor require separate battery or can I use the RX one."
Old Jan 31, 2008, 02:06 PM
Miami,FL
Joined Oct 2007
43 Posts
Nice diagram eflight

I think it gets the point across quite well.

-Juan
juancivic is offline Find More Posts by juancivic
Old Jan 31, 2008, 03:06 PM
Bolton, England
Joined Jan 2008
7 Posts
My sanity is restored, I thank you and my shrink thanks you.

Lee.
delaw is offline Find More Posts by delaw
Old Jul 08, 2009, 05:37 AM
Joined Jul 2009
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Here's a schematic that should help, (or confuse ).

It depends a bit on what you have, if it's an ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) with BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit), then ignore the bit in the circle.

If a better explanation is required just ask.
so where does the gyro and the tail motor and the tail motor esc (or do you need one for the tail(tail esc)) go?
yourfriendlyme is offline Find More Posts by yourfriendlyme
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
help!!!

as an aircraft mechanic I still need a circuit drawing to follow 'cause no instructions at all from the manufacturers
dave ussery is offline Find More Posts by dave ussery
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:24 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave ussery View Post
as an aircraft mechanic I still need a circuit drawing to follow 'cause no instructions at all from the manufacturers
What aircraft are you a mechanic on ?, Civilian, Military, Jets, Turboprop, piston. Also what manufacturer ?, Boeing, Cessna, McDonald Douglas, etc ?. Type number ?.

How can we find circuit drawings if we don't know what aircraft ?

Though I could make a guess it's actually a model aircraft ?.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:20 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfriendlyme View Post
so where does the gyro and the tail motor and the tail motor esc (or do you need one for the tail(tail esc)) go?
Good question. I expect you stand a better chance of a good answer if you ask in the heli forum.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:05 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Good question. I expect you stand a better chance of a good answer if you ask in the heli forum.

Glen
I hope he did, back in 2009.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:41 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,709 Posts
eflightray thanks. I never bothered to check the date on the original post.

Dave Ussery. In the future please start a new thread instead of reopening a three year old thread.

Glen
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I'm not an artist but I'll try to explain it. Battery connects to the Electronic Speed Control (ESC) which most have a Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC) built in that will power the RX and servos. The ESC has three sets of wires. One set usually red and black connects to the battery, another set of two or three for the motor, two for brushed and three for brushless and three small wires often red, white and black that have a plastic connector end on them. This connects to the RX at the throttle position. The other servos have the same plastic end and like wires that plug into the RX in elevator, aileron and rudder positions.
Hope helps.

Dan
Hi Dan

I am having similar problems. I have a Lipo battery but the contector plug has a 4 pin connector. The reciever that came with the controller only has 3 pin. Do I need a converter or am I missing something really basic? Dealing with a newbie here so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.
stableview is offline Find More Posts by stableview
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:34 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,429 Posts
Quote:
I am having similar problems. I have a Lipo battery but the contector plug has a 4 pin connector. The reciever that came with the controller only has 3 pin. Do I need a converter or am I missing something really basic? Dealing with a newbie here so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.
No, no, no NONONO no no.

The four-pin plug on your battery is the balance tap (3S lipo, it sounds like, unless it's a Thunder Power pack in which case it could be 2S or 3S). That's used strictly for charging, and maybe powering LEDs or something if you want. Do not try to plug that into the receiver; something will get wrecked. The battery's output is the big red and black lead that probably has a larger connector on the end.

The receiver will require around 4.8-6V input. This is accomplished by taking the 12.6V of the fully-charged 3S pack and running it through that big main lead into the ESC, which has a circuit inside that will strip that voltage down to a steady ~5V and then send it straight to the receiver via the ESC's receiver plug, which does get plugged into the throttle channel and not the spot labeled "BATT".

In some cases, particularly with larger models, that same voltage-reducing job is handled by a separate external component (BEC, "Battery Eliminator Circuit", sometimes called a "UBEC"). Same thing, but with a bit of physical isolation from the ESC. Occasionally, larger models will skip that altogether and go with a separate receiver battery, or a separate battery and a regulator, but unless you specifically know you want to do that there's no reason to worry about it.

So, to recap, there will be no battery plugged directly into the receiver.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:25 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,709 Posts
Picture here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1690134

Glen