HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:44 PM
Canton, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2000
334 Posts
Discussion
Can Anyone Recommend a Hot Melt Glue Gun?

A friend of mine tried hot melt glue on a FFF model. I then did a search here and found that many of you use it.

My buddy used a Craftsman E-Z Fix. He recommended it because it uses many different glue formulas for different applications. Unfortunately, Sears doesn't sell it anymore. It also uses a proprietary oval shape for the glue sticks.

I went to Lowes today and noticed that they had some Arrow brand glue guns and I also noticed a slow-cure high-strength glue stick.

Can some of you comment on what I should get or what to avoid?
Frankenator is offline Find More Posts by Frankenator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:47 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,737 Posts
i got mine cheap at harbor freight. that is also where i usually get my glue cuz its dirt cheap. i originally got another one from walmart i believe. some of them are only high temp and others allow you to switch. for me, i found that the high temp melts the foam that i use (FFF). i exclusively use low temp. i like using it because its fast... but watch the weight and those pesky stringy strands.
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:08 AM
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2007
145 Posts
That Arrow brand glue gun is good, just be sure it's the high/low temp one.
globalarray is offline Find More Posts by globalarray
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:24 AM
Sam Talley
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2003
299 Posts
Unless you plan to use the glue gun for other projects, get an inexpensive low-temperature gun. I just bought one at a craft store, my first low temp one, and it works very well.
Ranger13 is offline Find More Posts by Ranger13
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:02 PM
Canton, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2000
334 Posts
Arrow High / Low Temp

Globalarray,

Thanks, that's the one that I noticed. Thanks, guys for the advice.
Frankenator is offline Find More Posts by Frankenator
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:42 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Yeh, I bought the $.99 version from Wal-Mart..

Works like a charm..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:56 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
another vote for the cheap ones! I don't use the one I have very often, but I got the low temp version from michaels and it works nicely! Watch out though, the regular temp ones with melt your foam plane! Low-temp works better.
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Feb 01, 2008, 12:48 AM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
I like the new one by Dremel; 2 temps and uses standard glue sticks.

Very Nice
Randy
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 01, 2008, 02:37 AM
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
I have one of those cheap hot glue guns as well, but never could convince myself to use it on my foamie planes.

Don't these add a lot of weight to these foamies?

Just asking out of curiosity!

G.
GOK is offline Find More Posts by GOK
Old Feb 01, 2008, 05:34 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,737 Posts
GOK- it does tend to add some weight. but its a heck of a lot cheaper than lots of other glues out there. i use them almost exclusively for my foamies. i'll also use 3M Super77 to laminate, and rarely some epoxy.

-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Feb 01, 2008, 05:46 AM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
Ditto what beanie said.

I use low-temp hot glue for almost all of my building. Speed of drying is unmatched, and if there's a major mis-glue,sometimes its not impossible to surgically "remove" most of the dried glue and start again.
Super 77 is the best for laminating two pieces. You only need to spray one of the pieces...just connect the pieces before the glue has dried. Be advised, Super 77 WILL eat the "edge grain" of the foam if too much is applied.
5 min Epoxy I use for applying hinges, wood to wood connections, and places I need to guarantee unflexing strenth or need slightly longer drying time than with Hot Glue.

Oh yeah, Hot Glue gun and power converter at the flying field cant be beat for quick repairs. Ill reguarly knock the frappin wings off a plane and be back in the air in minutes, if not seconds...

Jasta
Jasta_66 is offline Find More Posts by Jasta_66
Old Feb 01, 2008, 06:42 AM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
another alternatove to the 3m 77, w/c imho i think is better is the elmers brand, dries tuff and so far hasn't eaten the foam.
ditto on the glue gun, for building. fast and easy. i mainly use the high temp side when i'm glueing from one end to another then just switch to low temp for small areas.
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Feb 01, 2008, 06:57 AM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,242 Posts
Glue gun

I received a "Cold Heat " hotmelt glue gun for Christmas. Best glue gun I've seen. Uses a rechargeable battery pack so you don't get cords in the way - It's also portable so you can use it at the field. Charges will let you go for more 2 or more glue sticks.

Drawback? My son and wife have used it and leave it turned on. Battery is dead when I want to use it

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9857322-3359058?ASIN=B000UG91UY&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000UG91U Y|Cold_Heat_Glue_Gun&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B000UG 91UY&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001
SRush99 is offline Find More Posts by SRush99
Old Feb 01, 2008, 08:59 AM
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2007
145 Posts
Frank, Lowes has the pro model that I have. The difference in a cheap gun and a 15 buck (still cheap) one is smoother feed, better tip, and holds a more constant temp. Also having high heat has it's uses, bonds balsa, CF, and bamboo together. I would get a cordless but, I'll got enough batteries to tend to.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...550&lpage=none
globalarray is offline Find More Posts by globalarray
Old Feb 01, 2008, 10:11 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,847 Posts
I got the Cold heat cordless glue gun for Xmas - LOVE it! Other than that I am happy with $9 low heat guns - AVOID high heat guns - melts foam - VERY bad!
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog