HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2002, 01:50 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
Bullseye And Up Question

has anyone peeled the paper off of both sides of the blucor for the up or bullseye - i did this for the up, and found that it reduced the weight by 4 oz's
seems a little flimsy though
i realize that as it is - is great - but have a hankering for a real light build !
just thought i would see if anyone has tryed this ????

jerbear
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2002, 02:47 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I peeled off both sides of my Bullseye, I'll be flying it this afternoon or tomorrow. Are you supposed to leave some of the paper on??
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Dec 28, 2002, 02:54 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
paper or no paper

hello
i really do not know - i have made a bullseye with paper on and it flys fine.
hope someone can shed more thoughts on this.
look forward to you posting flight results - seems awfully flimsy w/o the paper

jerbear
Old Dec 28, 2002, 03:07 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
I was a bit concerned about ?wing? flex, (What do you call a round wing??!!), but thought it would be ok because of the round wing giving it's own support. Well we'll find out!! I have some foam safe CA if it snaps and can add some strapping tape for a bit of extra support if needed. I'll watch the wing flex when I take her out.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Dec 28, 2002, 03:25 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
strapping tape

i know one of the fellows always puts 2 lines - side by side - of strapping tape across the bottom (above and below center)

jerbear
Old Dec 28, 2002, 06:24 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,192 Posts
Guys ...

I think you guys worry too much ...I always remove the skin off the blue foam...it's flimsy, but you know I wouldn't put a plane on you that hadn't been tested to the max... we have many flights on the Bullseye and a whole bunch on the UP... the UP has strapping tape according to the plans.....the Bullseye has none...it is the warp of the wing that gives it adequate strength(have not broken it yet!!!).....please have faith in your humble designer and have fun....if it didn't work (and work well) I wouldn't have told you about it ....you should see some of the designs that don't make it!!! Don't worry, Fly happy!!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 28, 2002, 06:51 PM
RIP "Long Shadow Flyer"
Upstate New York-- Rochester, NY USA
Joined Oct 2001
732 Posts
I have been building Blustics since last spring, when forming the wings we remove the paper, form the wing with a heat gun. I used a heat gun on the new UP that I made. A heat gun (keep it moving!!) will put a Temper in the foam. You will see a shiny skin appear on the surface.... You will also notice the foam gets stiffer!
Try this out on some SCRAP pieces of foam, and check it out!!!
Also Test what happens with too much heat, yuck!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...k&pagenumber=1

Weather, Wind and Snow have kept me from trying out my new UP, and 2 new Blu-Sticks. At least with the rotten weather I can fill up my hanger for when the weather improves....

hope this helps
Carl
crvogt is offline Find More Posts by crvogt
Old Dec 28, 2002, 09:21 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,192 Posts
Thanks for the tip.....

I've noticed in the past that heat -formed wings seem to be stiffer after they come out of the oven....I wonder if this tempering not only stiffens UP,the material, but also, makes it more brittle too??? I really have learned that the flexability of the Blucor (as opposed to that brittle pink stuff,which is very stiff ) actually makes it more survivable in a crash ....bending rather than breaking (within reason ,of course).....You're right!!! I'll have to try some out on some scraps ......might work great for tempering certain parts which require more stiffness viz. ailerons,stabs,etc....Thanks again!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 28, 2002, 11:33 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I've found that tempering the surface greatly increases the torsional strength, and reduces a lot of simple damage. The small tears and scrapes are greatly reduced. The tempering doesn't go that deep, so it still is not near as brittle as the pink foam, or even the thicker BluCor, which is denser. I use the tempering in leu of using tape or some other covering to strengthen it.

crvogt: Glad to hear the BluStik lives on! You aught to try it with an EDF/IPS hybrid... What a blast!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond