Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2008, 04:38 PM
Archbald, PA
Joined Mar 2006
39 Posts
Discussion
Help needed with Dumas 1930 Chris Craft

Hi all:
If any of you have built the Dumas 1930 24' CC Runabout maybe you can help. I'm stuck at the part where you put the substrate planking on the bow deck. The instructions seem to want you to run the planks all the way to the edge of the sheer, but the in the picture it looks like the planking should butt evenly with the sheer on the same level. I called Dumas and the fellow said he thought the planks should go out to the edges of the boat but this doesn't seem right. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Signed,
Confused
bub9797 is offline Find More Posts by bub9797
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:29 PM
Mt Airy Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
207 Posts
I think the sub planking should stop at the inside edge of the sheer and when the mahogany sheer piece is added it butts up to the sub planking and the mahogany deck and white plastic strips are added with one between the mahogany sheer and deck planking.

Bud
Bud Faulkner is offline Find More Posts by Bud Faulkner
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
bub,

If ya look at sheet 2 of your blueprints, the cross section at the bow shows what bud is saying, the foredeck ply butts up to the sheer. That ply surface wants to be the same height so when the mahogany goes on, you have a smooth surface to cover. You may have to fair the frames in that area in order get it to work.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Last edited by woodybob; Feb 13, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:07 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
Here's the picture from the Dumas website:

The sub deck goes all the way out to the edge of the sheer; except where the side coaming starts, the the sub deck planking goes to the edge of the coaming.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:06 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
Like this...
Last edited by woodybob; Oct 29, 2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:14 PM
Lake Tahoe
Joined Apr 2010
26 Posts
I'm building the same model and have glued the planking even with the sheers but now I'm stuck on the hatches. I'm not sure when to glue the C-2 and the C-3's to the jigs or when to cut them as shown in figure 24. I'm hoping you might have some advice or photos that would help.
Thanks,
Mark
PS Any idea how to attach photos...I'm asked to use a http/ URL and I'm not sure how to do that.
saywhen1948 is offline Find More Posts by saywhen1948
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:47 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
See if this will help...

How to UPLOAD IMAGES
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610209

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545544
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:43 PM
Lake Tahoe
Joined Apr 2010
26 Posts
Image upload test (1930 Chris Craft Dumas)

Thanks for the help on loading photos. This is my first model given to me by my father. I was a little blown away when I opened the box for the first time and took a look at all those little pieces of wood...thought Dad was giving me a little payback for all the tools I forgot to put back when I was a kid. Now if I can only figure out what I'm suppose to do with the hatches I'll be a happy camper. I'm thinking the jigs are just to get the bend in H1 and H2 and that's all I need them for. I'm also a little confused about the 5 minute epoxy...I know it's different than the CyA but is it Ambroid original liquid cement or something else? The directions also say I should use a razor or band saw and since I don't have either which would be better to purchase? Lastly (for now) will the engine hatch eventually be made into a port and starboard hatches because I remember seeing port and starboard engine hatches on someone else amazing model. Any advise and photos will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
saywhen1948 is offline Find More Posts by saywhen1948
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:53 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
Congrats on passing the photo test. Fo'c'sle looks perfect.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:08 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
I split the hatch and used micro piano hinges. If I remember correctly Dumas has you build it as one piece. Basically you need to build a frame for the hatch in the boat then build hatch frames that get covered with mahogany. I think I made the one piece hatch cover then sawed it in half with a very fine saw. Think of it as a door frame in the boat, then build up the hatch frame to follow the deck shape.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:53 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Hey Woodybob, can I get you to spill the beans again on your suppliers!
I'd love to put a micro piano hinge (or at least have a try!) on my next boat build the Sterling Century Sea maid

thanks Russell
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:27 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
M.A.C.K. Products and Dumas have piano hinges.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:50 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,548 Posts
MACK and Dumas hings are 3/8 inch wide. I get narrow ones from doll house supply Last ones I got about 2 years ago I purchased 2 sizes 3/16 and 1/4 inch.
I use them on my run-a-bouts and Sea Maids.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Apr 14, 2010, 02:40 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
I got these from Oakridge Hobbies 15 years ago, I don't they carry them anymore, not listed on their website anyway. They were tough to find too.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:53 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined May 2009
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
I got these from Oakridge Hobbies 15 years ago, I don't they carry them anymore, not listed on their website anyway. They were tough to find too.
Thanks guys, at least I know what i'm looking for i'll try and source those thinner ones
appreciate the advice (as always)
RussellTate is offline Find More Posts by RussellTate