Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2008, 01:50 AM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Yippee!
My Ultimate 2 Man FPV (Pilot-CoPilot) Virtual Helicopter HD Film / Photo Machine!!

Hello All,

I want to share with you my completed idea of the ultimate (HD) filming and photography machine. Also i want to thank all the people that made this happen.

First off I would like to thank FUTURE HOBBIES. Wade has been extremely helpful in me combining 2 independent wireless video systems that will work for my application!!!!

I would also like to thank NEU Motors for making extremely dependable motors, Thunder Power for developing great batteries, and Askman AP for developing a great camera mount.

Now for goodies that make this thing work...

Helicopter - Trex 600
Motor - Neu 1912/1y (H-F)
Esc CC HV-85
Main Batt - TP 10s 5000mah

Pilot Virtual Pan and Tilt System:
Future Hobbies - 900 MHz Diversity Rx wireless video w/ 520 Cam
Head Tracking - Aeropix - Tracker1
Video Goggles - Sony Glasstraon PLM-55

Copilot / Camera Man:
Askman AP Pan and Tilt Camera Mount (Under Slung)
Future Hobbies - 2.4 GHz wireless video w/420 cam
Video Goggles - Future Hobbies

Video and Still Cameras

Video - Hi-Def Canon HV20 1080i, w/wide angel lens
Stills - Sony A100 10mg Pro Digital SLR

I hope you all enjoy the photos

Thank you
WAC
UAV Photography / UAV Imagery
wac is offline Find More Posts by wac
Last edited by wac; Jan 30, 2008 at 02:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2008, 07:19 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Impressive setup!

Curious to know why you chose to use a separate video camera for the cameraman rather than taking the video output from the camera/camcorder?

Looks great regardless!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Jan 30, 2008, 07:36 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,364 Posts
Wow! Maybe I'd better say "WOW" again! I'd love to have something like that but..... I know I'd break it! Looking forward to seeing some videos and pictures from you!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:05 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,903 Posts
I have found it easier to mount a seperate camera facing the same area as the stills camera - the bullet camera I use has a wider angle and so makes FPV easier when setting up a shot + the screen does no 'blank' when taking pictures.

It all adds weight though........

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
Impressive setup!

Curious to know why you chose to use a separate video camera for the cameraman rather than taking the video output from the camera/camcorder?

Looks great regardless!

David
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:16 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Hmmm, I've got my system set up such that after each photo is taken, a preview of the captured image stays on the downlink for 1-2 seconds. This way I can see exactly how the final image looks, including seeing the framing and exposure. If a separate camera is used, you can't guarentee that the shots you've just taken will look as you wish them to as there's no way of previewing the captured images until you land and look at the photos on the camera ....

My 2p

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:31 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,903 Posts
I found the 'blanking' quite scary for planes - but this was with the Nikon7900 which blanks for Britain after you've taken a few consecutive shots

I bet you've even got the audio hooked up so you can hear the digitised shutter sound* ?

Adam
*(c) Canon
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:28 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4 Posts
Looks great! I have a very "newbie" question though. What are the white antennas on the tri-pod and in the backpack for?
azfj60 is offline Find More Posts by azfj60
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:58 AM
wac
Joined Jun 2005
1,409 Posts
Hogster - The reason i have 2 wireless systems is so i can pilot the Helicopter by FPV and my camera man can operate the Askman Ap camera mount independant of the helicopter.
For example, I am flying down a ski run and i need to keep my eye on where i am going. My camera man will tell me faster or slower - left and right but i dont really have time to look at the skiier. Also if i fly straight, i give my camera man a much better platform to shoot from.

azfj60 - The 2 big white antennas are patch antennas for the 900mhz video system and the small white patach antenna on the right of the picture is for the 2.4ghz system.

wac
wac is offline Find More Posts by wac
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:10 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,633 Posts
Hi wac, dont you have problems running 2.4 on the TX and the camera man video? I thought that was a no no?

Nice setup.
Cheers
Ian
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Jan 30, 2008, 02:04 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs dont fly
Hi wac, dont you have problems running 2.4 on the TX and the camera man video? I thought that was a no no?

Nice setup.
Cheers
Ian
Doesn't look like 2.4Ghz on the left hand Tx
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Jan 30, 2008, 03:19 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
wac - Ahh ok, that makes sense!

David