HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
I use my 78" wing conversion alot - it offers slower flight (makes AP and hand-catching easier) with only minor handling issues. It is particularly suited to vertical AP (where motion is most noticed).

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb
Thanks! I'll take a look at that.
From searching this thread it sounds like the "kiting" and some other odd behavior could be caused by CG issues.
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2009, 04:55 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH
For that price it worth trying out! But you will never know until you try. Problem with some of those is weight and sometimes the way it handles the light may not be as good as some other brands. I like how they advertise how CMOS are bad. I'm just testing out a CMOS now (420tvl) and she's the lightest thing I've ever seen, plus no black spots when pointing at the sun with amazing colors. You would be fooled in thinking it was CCD lol. I will post a video (or Daniel Wee) when I get the chance.

PS
I hope your $27.00 camera works out better than expected and I love the varifocal lens and auto iris!!!

John
Well I've got a 420 TVL ccd cam that I got from china and it was supposed to be a sony super had ccd. When it came in the chip that had the white writing was etched off & the sun turns black. I thought that only happens on cmos cameras? I thought CMOS was a lower Res and worse picture quality?
Does ccd have the sun turn black?
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Apr 08, 2009, 08:04 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,974 Posts
Hi all to save me trolling through this thread can somone please tell me what other easy glider parts are needed, apart from the wings, to do this conversion

eye fly...yes ccd the sun turns black...anyway on mine it does

Thanks Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Apr 08, 2009, 08:20 AM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup
Hi all to save me trolling through this thread can somone please tell me what other easy glider parts are needed, apart from the wings, to do this conversion

eye fly...yes ccd the sun turns black...anyway on mine it does

Thanks Jeff
The wingspar is sold seperately. You will also need sandpaper to reduce the size of the EZ Glider wing roots; they are slightly larger than the EZ Star fuselage. Other than that, nothing is needed unless you want to add ailerons.

I recommend setting up Flaperons to be used during landing.

-John
johnorama is offline Find More Posts by johnorama
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:06 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,455 Posts
Kiting is just another way of saying steep climb out...Which is a good thinig.

You can get away with rudder only...Personally though, I really like ailerons w/ big wings...I tried flaperons for about two flights...I didn't see the point, the big wings slowed down enough. May I suggest saving the extra channel, running both aileron servos throuh a Y-connector, which leaves you the option of using a roll gyro...
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Apr 08, 2009, 10:36 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes
Well I've got a 420 TVL ccd cam that I got from china and it was supposed to be a sony super had ccd. When it came in the chip that had the white writing was etched off & the sun turns black. I thought that only happens on cmos cameras? I thought CMOS was a lower Res and worse picture quality?
Does ccd have the sun turn black?
Well first of all... sorry JBB for high jacking the thread , secondly yes the Sony Super HAD is a good sensor, thirdly CCD will "fade to black" like any iris of a human eye would when under bright light. But a good CCD camera can reduce the time it stays "faded black". Generally speaking I have experienced tiny CMOS cameras to be very bad like lower resolution and poor light handling as you mentioned, however not all created equal. Just look at some of those high resolution HD camcorders... some of them use CMOS. Anyhow almost all the micro CMOS cameras I've played with would develop a black "spot" when facing the sun (very annoying). This one in particular seems to be immune to it but perhaps it is not perfect either until I get a chance to take it up in the air. One thing for sure I am the type who is concerned about the weight of my plane and this camera on the bench seems to look pretty darn good. The weight is very light, the way they designed it internally is very efficient which is why it is so light. Uses only 5 volts and even has a built in MIC. Bad part so I noticed is the body is plastic and not metal and also there is no mounting holes on the sides. This makes it more interesting for me to fabricate a pan/tilt/roll arm to hold the camera to the servos.
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 08, 2009, 03:28 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
All good stuff, no hijacking here! Its all related to our BWEZ's! I need this info so i can see where im going, the less crashing the less money spent! BTW Which camera do u have?

Also, no one wants to comment on the only modded micro digital compass on rc groups?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027803

I dont have $200 to spend on a GPS and would rather not deal with all of the additional radio issues associated, so i think a micro digital compass for only $20 was a pretty good idea. Has anyone tried to ever find one? Trust me its impossible! Thats why i was so excited when i found this and did the mod. Im no genious, so everyones thoughts and suggestions really help in developing a better, lighter & more efficient compass like placement, power & backlighting of this thing.

And of course the idea was given to me by our moderator, Sqrtscl. IMHO Long Live BWEZ FPV! LOL.
Old Apr 08, 2009, 06:04 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes
BTW Which camera do u have?
Well I wish I knew the answer to that. That unique little camera was sent to me by a friend who seems to find cutting edge gear or the original source of all the present FPV gear sold by vendors. Anyhow I'm dying to test this in the air and if it checks out OK, I'm sending one to ScrtSqrl since I promised him something wayyy back. But not until he's back to the "real" work.
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 09, 2009, 03:31 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH
I'm sending one to ScrtSqrl since I promised him something wayyy back. But not until he's back to the "real" work.

Sweet!

You are too kind.
Old Apr 09, 2009, 03:36 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,455 Posts
Here's an un-edited video of one of my shorter flights...The winds are about 4-6 knots. In those winds, the stub-wing EZ flies just like the BWEZ. The BWEZ delivers better stability around 10 kts.

Mandal Dawn Patrol (7 min 52 sec)
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:09 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Ready for maiden!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:40 AM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,680 Posts
Nice eye

I love the compass mod. I want one of those

hope to see it in action
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:09 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,572 Posts
Looks good!

Can you read the compass with it that close to the camera?
galaxiex is online now Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Apr 12, 2009, 03:33 PM
Rookie Hopeful
Massillon, Ohio
Joined Sep 2007
116 Posts
EZ* Wing Options

I just completed my first EZ* with the brushless upgrade. Flying it with only the elevator and rudder but would like to try an aileron version. Would like to keep the original setup and have another set of wings with ailerons. I am not into a camera on board yet or gyro's , but maybe in the future.

For the present, what would be a better option: getting another set of EZ* wings or the Easy glider wings , then adding ailerons? What are the advantages or disadvantages using either wing? 54 " wingspan versus 72" ? or other issues ?

Still a 77 year old newbee with one year of R/C flying, but still trying to have fun.

Paul
air4prs is offline Find More Posts by air4prs
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:04 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Air4 Definately go for the EZ GLider with with ailerons, the flight charachteristics are smooth & predictable, the flight video will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay smoother. 54in wings will be more of a sporty Ez star, but who wants a jagged and choppy video. I've learned my lesson there.

On another Note I just maidened BWEZ tonight and Oh man FPV is freaking scary and awesome!!

A little throttle and it just takes off from my hand no problem whatsoever pefectly balanced. Thats the best feeling ever!

Ok so im out flying all is well and I put the goggles on my wife, shes seeing the trees and the mountains and loving it. Ok 5 minutes later its my turn .. She puts the goggles on me, takes my seeing glasses off and puts my hat on and a towel over my head. Wooooooow soo cool. Then the video cuts out, black screen. Not cool. And I hear her say...... Umm babe, wheres your plane?" Ahhhhh!!! Get these things off me!! Wheres my Glasses? Right here! No where to be found in the sky. Im freaking out, my plane is gone, the video is cutting in and out, and then I spot it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy the heck over there. Almost lost it on my maiden. Now im flying with Glasses up top and goggles below, Just for now - because in a big feild, everything looks the same.

Scarry!!!