HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2008, 01:22 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,471 Posts
The guys over at the AP forum routinely fly EasyGliders up to 40 plus oz. At 33 oz, I've got around 7 to go. At 3 oz per pack, I guess I could fit two more. I've got space in the cabin. The limiting factors will be my bladder and my and the co-pilot's (8 years old) attention span.

It's going to be a "long range" project. I intend to fly out to an island 2.5 kms off the coast to take pictures of a light house. And when all is said and done, I strip off the long wings, the extra batteries & I have my trusty old bird.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2008, 01:30 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,471 Posts
Pitch rate gyro

I'm thinking about using an cheap E-sky rate gyro in the pitch axis. Anyone have any experience w/ something like that?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 01:33 PM
musicians can fly?
Seattle, WA
Joined Nov 2007
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
I'm thinking about using an cheap E-sky rate gyro in the pitch axis. Anyone have any experience w/ something like that?
To try and counteract unintending "kiting"?

-R
wyldryce is offline Find More Posts by wyldryce
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:10 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldryce
To try and counteract unintending "kiting"?

-R
Not really. I think I fixed that w/ the bigger prop.

I want it to be more stable in pitch, aleviating huge altitude transients experienced, when flying fast and suddenly getting a disturbance (pilot induced or otherwise) in pitch.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 05:17 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,471 Posts
I flew her again today. I alternated between long and short wings. In a "heavy" configuration, the she needs around two "clicks" less power on the long wings. Good deal. Proves that the long wings will help w/ endurance. However, I'm not convinced that i actually get range because of the slower airspeed.

I flew a 5 km course easily, with the farthest point on the course being 1km from the launch point. I still have the standard Control Rx antenna and two "rubber ducks" on the video gear. I did not observe any glitches or any significant degradation of video.

With the new motor, I've got enough thrust to do a loop from level flight. On the first loop w/ the long wings, I bent the aluminum spar and had to land with a "V" wing. Now I definitely have to replace it w/ a carbon spar.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:31 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Nice job on the EZ* scrtsqrl, I 've been following this and waiting for the flight reports. After reading your thread it seems to me the guy's that had trouble with the EZG wings gave up to soon. Thanks for taking the time and filing in the blanks with good ideas. My EZG wings are on the way .
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
Thanks for sharing with us the report. So after your experience, what do you think is the biggest advantage(s) in using the EZS/EZG combo over a EZG?
anci3nt is offline Find More Posts by anci3nt
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:56 PM
UNREGISTERED USER :)
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
I guess I've been pretty lucky. It's been all over Asia, North America & now Europe.

I think I can push flight time out to around 1 hour and 40 minutes, maybe two hours. If I hang a third battery, I can probably get close to 3 hours. I just have to sort out the video battery. I'm very uncomfortable flying visually.

hey, I'm going to go on vacation with my plane too. Did you have any problems with li-pos? Where did you put them durring the flight?

thanks,

damian
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123
Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:04 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
Nice job on the EZ* scrtsqrl, I 've been following this and waiting for the flight reports. After reading your thread it seems to me the guy's that had trouble with the EZG wings gave up to soon. Thanks for taking the time and filing in the blanks with good ideas. My EZG wings are on the way .
Crash,

Sweet!

Maybe you can try it w/ ailerons. I'd use flex links w/ the servos close to the fuse. I can't myself. I only have a 6 ch radio.

Don't forget to enlarge the rudder a bit. I'll post pictures and report on the flight when I do.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:08 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anci3nt
Thanks for sharing with us the report. So after your experience, what do you think is the biggest advantage(s) in using the EZS/EZG combo over a EZG?
More lift for any given airspeed. That means:

1. More payload.
2. Slower flight.
3. Better rate of climb.
4. Slower approach speed.

The trade off is:
1. Less maneuverablility.
2. Bigger bird.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:09 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian123
hey, I'm going to go on vacation with my plane too. Did you have any problems with li-pos? Where did you put them durring the flight?

thanks,

damian
I just kept them in one of my check in bagage. If you wanted to be extra careful, you'd fly with them almost "empty".

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:11 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,471 Posts
Anyone here figured out how to fly their plane from inside a warm car? Is it as simple as a buddy box?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 09:57 AM
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
thanks scrtsqrl, to fly from insideo of a car? It probably is possible to do wth a buddy box and the video RX on the roof of the car. Thats actualy a good idea.

damian
Old Feb 16, 2008, 03:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,471 Posts
Compass Mod

Getting ready for overwater flights.

Compass Mod (2 min 21 sec)
Old Feb 16, 2008, 03:32 PM
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
scrtsqrl, cool! I wanted to do that too, but I would have to edit my EG toooo much.. In the summer I might need this since I will be flying over waters 24/7

damian