is your prop on backwards???
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2008, 12:22 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,459 Posts
no. but it looks like that because i had to "notch" it on the front end, for it to fit the spinner.
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Feb 08, 2008, 01:06 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,524 Posts
The kiting as you call it is made worse by having a longer wing as more lift is generated with it ,you can add thrust adjustment by pointing the motor downward towards the tail, and if room between blade tips and boom is not available use a GWS 3 blade prop smaller diameter (new series) available from http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/index.php?cPath=46_61.
they run smoother less vibration.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,459 Posts
She flew with the long wings today!

We went to the beach today. The weather was perfect, clear skies, hardly any winds, & 8 deg C.

She flew with the new long wings today. First I flew her with the stubby wings to make sure everything was good. Then I simply changed the wings, without moving things around for CG. I gave it a toss and she just flew...no drama at all. Awesome.

She flew just as everyone said. Slow, and stable. She flew with much less wing rock. She takes long lazy turns and likes to climb. I have to get used to a longer, flatter final because she tends to float. I did not notice any bad tendencies turning to downwind, probably because there was only 5 kts of wind today. I did not fly with the tail extension. It turned out not be required.

I'm quite impressed at how it did not need much more power to fly around. The throttle settings remained pretty close to those with the short wings on. I think to cruise, on altitude, she needs maybe an extra "click" of throttle. With power off, she tends to loose altitude more slowly. All this with a tiny 5 X 4 APC Prop and a 2 cell 2300 mAH LiPo. I only flew for around 30 minutes. I'm sure I left another 30 minutes of flight time in the pack. Everything remained cool to the touch. Looks like the power system isn't really working that hard.

I think she weighs in at around 30 ozs. I'm guessing I've got another 10 ozs of payload available, based on what everyone says over on the AP forums about the Easy Glider. That's probabbly going to be one or two battery packs and an OSD.

The next step is to fly with an extra battery pack. On Friday, I flew for around 1 hour and 8 minutes on one pack. Hopefully, with an extra pack, I'll see another 50 minutes at least, if not another hour. I'll wait for the 6 X 5 prop before I fly with the second pack. I should get it sometime next week.

The goal is to prove steady and stable flight for around 2 hours. Next I'll double the length of the Control Rx Antenna, build a 2300 mAH batter pack for the Control Tx and buy a patch antenna for the Video Rx. I think with those mods, I should be able to safely transit the 2.5 km distance overwater to the lighthouse and back w/ tons of reserves to spare.

We're supposed to get excellent weather again tomorrow. I'll get video during my lunch break.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Feb 10, 2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Derby
Joined May 2007
439 Posts
congrats scrtsqrl: that's a beautiful bird! I wanted to read your report as you are a trusted source of information to me. BTW, I noticed you deleted your FPV setup video showing the organization inside your easy star.

What do you mean by lazy turns? Do you use the ailerons? even with the standard wings, I tend to use the rudder to tilt the aicraft on its side, then use the elevator to pull the turn... I guess with ailerons, should be even easier
jbourdon is offline Find More Posts by jbourdon
Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourdon
congrats scrtsqrl: that's a beautiful bird! I wanted to read your report as you are a trusted source of information to me. BTW, I noticed you deleted your FPV setup video showing the organization inside your easy star.

What do you mean by lazy turns? Do you use the ailerons? even with the standard wings, I tend to use the rudder to tilt the aicraft on its side, then use the elevator to pull the turn... I guess with ailerons, should be even easier
Thanks.

Lazy turns...takes more rudder to make the same, I guess. She likes to fly straight and level. Very "dampened" flight characteristics...Not as fidgety as the "stub wing" Easy...I guess that's why the AP guys like the Easyglider.

No ailerons on her. Don't see a need. I guess if I try it later, I'll use flex cables and keep the servos close to the fuse to minimize the servo cables. People here say that long servo cables make the system more suceptible to "noise".

One more thing about this set-up...BOTH sets of wings and the fuselage fit perfectly in the cary box. That means I can take the entire set-up anywhere openning up more flight opportunities. An Easy Glider is too big for my carry box.

The Video's still there:
My FPV Set-up (3 min 47 sec)

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
The longer wings add mass away from the CoG, this will make the plane smoother but resistant to change in attitude - in the case of longer wings this 'resistance' will be experienced in roll and yaw (almost no difference in pitch as the wings are practically on the CoG). The same effect (reported by someone on these forums) can be had by adding small weights to the end of existing normal EZ* wings.

I've found that once you get used to it, the long wing EZ* is a lovely plane, and like scrtsql I love the fact that I can fix these wings to any of my EZ* planes in a few seconds (and transport them with ease)

Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourdon
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Feb 11, 2008, 08:21 AM
High Altitude Bliss
France
Joined Jun 2007
1,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
<snip> ...29mm Aluminum Spinner...

That spinner compliments the look of the EZ*.
Hypoxic is offline Find More Posts by Hypoxic
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:15 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,459 Posts
Here's a video of a short flight flown yesterday...

Big Wing Easy Star (1 min 59 sec)

You can see all the characteristics of a Big Wing Easy...Nice rate of climb. Stable in roll. With 12 kts in the face, you don't even need to toss it. It just lifts off... In the end, you get an idea how tightly it will still turn and how slow it can get...even with a tail wind.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:21 AM
musicians can fly?
Seattle, WA
Joined Nov 2007
154 Posts
Scrtsqrl,

That's great! really climbs just like a kite, yet seems to have a slow enough roll rate with that larger wing dampening, to allow for minor correction with good stability and little stress to the pilot. she really starts to move when you get turned downwind though. Seems like a good high wind ship now. I can forsee this wing as a great augmentation to have for certain conditions! Thanks for the legwork.

-Ross
wyldryce is offline Find More Posts by wyldryce
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:39 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldryce
Seems like a good high wind ship now. I can forsee this wing as a great augmentation to have for certain conditions!

Yes it is...but the wind must be "clean". I flew in turbulent air today. The wind was blowing around 12 kts over a tree line perpendicularly. At times, I got to the ends of of the gimbals with hardly any response. I guess because of the lighter wing loading, the plane tends to get thrown around more once the air gets really "dirty". That said, I switched to the short wings and found the same.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:36 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,459 Posts
1 hour 20 minute flight with a 2nd External Battery

I flew with a second battery for a total of 4600 mAH on the airplane on take off. Additionally, I replaced the 5 X 4.5 with a 6 X 6 APC prop. The airplane did not seem to mind the extra weight. It flew with maybe 1 or two more "clicks" on the throttle compared to when I flew with only one battery.

The second battery is mounted externally, right at the CG. It is held into place with velcro, a rubberband and a bamboo skewer (see pictures). In theory, I can hang another battery on the opposite side, as well. I however plan on lofting a camera on that side.

Having flown with the long wings a few times now, I will:
1. Enlarge the tail a bit, both in height and length. Also, enlarge the rudder. It seems that when it is heavy (I think because it tends to fly nose up, masking more of the vertical stab), the rudder's authority is degraded. Yes it is quite stable in straight and level flight. But when disturbed, one easily finds the limits of the rudder's authority. It is quite an uncomfortable feeling when you've deflected the rudder all the way and the airplane is either not responding or responding very slowly.

2. I will replace the aluminum spar with a carbon spar. The aluminum spar tends to bend and stays bent. Not good in high G conditions.

3. I flew for a total of 1 hour and 20 minutes on this set-up. I had to land in visually because the video battery pack (4 X 900mAH AAA) quit. I will either use a y-cable and attach another pack or just build one out of 4 X 2300mAH AA's.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the power set-up. The Big wings are doing their job, but only when undisturbed. Interestingly enough, I flew the 2-battery set-up with the stock wings as well. She flew with the same throttle settings, but seemed to fly a tad faster. She also handled much better in the wind, I think because of the higher wing loading and speed.

Having that endurance is nice. It's also nice to have a co-pilot. I think the power train is proven. I still need to work on tuning the airframe w/ the new wings, extend the control Rx antenna, and install a patch antenna on the video Rx.

I'll post updates as I go.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:51 PM
High Altitude Bliss
France
Joined Jun 2007
1,343 Posts
An hour and 20 minutes. That's pretty impressive.

You actually traveled with that case through the airlines? (baggage stickers)
Man, you're brave. I did that with my bass guitar in a hard case and the airlines destroyed it. On top of that, someone stole all my gear out of it too. There's a nice boot impression on the top and the locking latch was destroyed (picked).
Last edited by Hypoxic; Feb 14, 2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 01:02 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,459 Posts
I guess I've been pretty lucky. It's been all over Asia, North America & now Europe.

I think I can push flight time out to around 1 hour and 40 minutes, maybe two hours. If I hang a third battery, I can probably get close to 3 hours. I just have to sort out the video battery. I'm very uncomfortable flying visually.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 01:10 PM
High Altitude Bliss
France
Joined Jun 2007
1,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
I guess I've been pretty lucky. It's been all over Asia, North America & now Europe.

I think I can push flight time out to around 1 hour and 40 minutes, maybe two hours. If I hang a third battery, I can probably get close to 3 hours. I just have to sort out the video battery. I'm very uncomfortable flying visually.

Wow. Guess I just got unlucky.

Think you could mount another lipo on the opposite side? How much more weight do you think you can handle before it starts to get too heavy? Especially if you add another or larger batt for the video.
This could start to turn into a heavy lift/ endurance project.